5 replies to this topic

#1 GT2

GT2

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hi my 98 Mini Cooper's suspension is bouncy and I suspect worn.

What are my options for upgrade?I would like it a little firmer.

Can I just change the shocks or will I need other items?

Many thanks

Lee

#2 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

Depends really, sounds like the cones are overly worn so i would start with changing them. Once you have done that you can decide if the ride is better and maybe change the shocks, if you use lowered shocks then i suggest you use HiLo's.

Rhys

#3 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

If I go fast, then slow down a bit, I hit the resonant frequency and the car just bounces up and down until I slow down or speed up. It was like that for about 10 miles on the A36 one day in heavy traffic :D

#4 Neilos

Neilos

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

If your considering new dampers then go for SPAX. Man, the guys on here suggested for me to buy some as my old oil ones were correded and old so i bought a complete set, and the difference is outstanding. Im chuffed to bits with them.

I bought mine from minisport (standard height).

#5 nobbycameron

nobbycameron

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

get some new dampers, the dampers are what stop the car from bouncing after a bump, you may aswell go for lowered height ones as these work on standard height and lowered cars, and if you lower your car with standard height dampers in the future they will bottom out and damage your damper mounts

#6 Aus

Aus

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClubJersey

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

If your considering new dampers then go for SPAX. Man, the guys on here suggested for me to buy some as my old oil ones were correded and old so i bought a complete set, and the difference is outstanding. Im chuffed to bits with them.

I bought mine from minisport (standard height).

I used Spax for years, then I managed to pick up a brand new set of Avo's for good money - I'd never use Spax again, the difference was like night and day, the Avos were as firm as the Spax when cornering but they were so much smoother over bumps, the Spax used to crash over them.

Any uprated damper will feel so much better than the standard ones. If you are happy to go for the cheaper non-adjustable ones, then the KYB gasadjust dampers from Minispares are highly rated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users