Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:38 AM

Hey,

Took my Clubby out tonight with the new lady for a drive round Derbyshire. It was running well to start with, then I noticed then when holding the throttle ever so slightly open whilst going round a sharp corner for example, that the engine would seem to die then pick up again once the throttle position was altered. Any other throttle positions were fine, and it idled no problem. Does this sound like low dashpot oil, or perhaps something else? I've had problems with the carb icing since I've fitted the stage one kit, but i went back to the original filter and it seemed to cure it, just wondered if it might be the old gremlin returning? I've only just got back home, and with it being 1 am gone I didn't want to start messing with carbs, so thought I'd ask see if anyone might have an idea before I tackle it tommorrow :erm:

Cheers!

Thomas

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:02 PM

Doubt it will be your carb freezing up, doesnt get cold enough in this country for that. Probly find that your carb is out of tune and because of the cold weather it jus affectin it a little bit.

#3 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:11 PM

a mate of mine had his carb freeze up 3 times on the way home the other day though it is rare as u get all the warm air stright off the manifold

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:26 PM

Try covering half the grill over on the inside on the flywheel side. This will keep some of the cold air out, but still alow air to the rad.

#5 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:09 PM

just a quick point covering half the grill wont do any good, that only works if your rad is there.

as for the other problem my car does the same or did, everything else is OK so i would start looking for a new carb o recondition yours.

thats one more problem i have with my car.

alternatlly, try a carb cleaner, someone else might be able to help but i think you can get them at HALFORDS..

#6 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:22 PM

Well I filled the dashpot up and it seems ok now, hasn't done it again, so i think just the dashpot was low. Thanks for the advice, I work at Halfords so I might get some carb cleaner anyway!

Cheers :grin:

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users