307 replies to this topic

#1 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

Right I thought it was time I made a project thread to show everyone what I`m up to seen as I`ve had the car for a couple of months now.

Basically its a 89 mayfair in need of lots of attention. The plan is to get all the body work sorted then over the winter buy a 1275cc unit and strip and rebuild it putting different cam`s etc in, also going to put bucket seats in and a completey new interior.

As I bought it:
Posted Image

Engine bay:
Posted Image

At the moment Im trying to sort out the drivers side door hinge panel, previously when I opened the door it dropped a couple of inches. Been on it today and I think we`re getting there and will have the reapir panels welded in this week or next weekend if everything goes to plan.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Will post updates as I make progress.

#2 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

good luck matey! looks a nice mini

#3 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

Thanks mate, hopefully it will be nice when its finished. Its the first thing I`ve ever done like this so with the help of my dad I`m learning along the way.

#4 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Looking good Dave!

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 28 June 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#5 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

yup thats what i say lol.. hopefully it will be nice when its finished. will be a while yet though >_<

#6 yeamini

yeamini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:48 PM

Right I thought it was time I made a project thread to show everyone what I`m up to seen as I`ve had the car for a couple of months now.

Basically its a 89 mayfair in need of lots of attention. The plan is to get all the body work sorted then over the winter buy a 1275cc unit and strip and rebuild it putting different cam`s etc in, also going to put bucket seats in and a completey new interior.

As I bought it:
Posted Image

Engine bay:
Posted Image

At the moment Im trying to sort out the drivers side door hinge panel, previously when I opened the door it dropped a couple of inches. Been on it today and I think we`re getting there and will have the reapir panels welded in this week or next weekend if everything goes to plan.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Will post updates as I make progress.

:dontgetit: no way i was going to buy this mini a few weeks ago but the fella hu was selling it was being funneh about me starting it up before i picked it up as a wanted it for my first car i got a trailer and everythink as was still being funneh sush a shame it is a very nice mini good luck with it, oh yes and does the engin run thats you got in it? thanks ben

#7 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

Ahhhhh thats weird, he said someone had paid a deposit but couldnt trailor it away so gave me a call and me and my mate went to get it and towed it home. It looked in ok condition but once I started playing with it it needs a lot more than I first thought.

We got the engine running when we picked it up, jumped it off my focus and after a some black smoke it was ok, not perfect by any means as there were splits in pipes and allsorts and the carb needed sorting but it ran. The battery connections were badly corroded so took some fiddling.

#8 yeamini

yeamini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

Ahhhhh thats weird, he said someone had paid a deposit but couldnt trailor it away so gave me a call and me and my mate went to get it and towed it home. It looked in ok condition but once I started playing with it it needs a lot more than I first thought.

We got the engine running when we picked it up, jumped it off my focus and after a some black smoke it was ok, not perfect by any means as there were splits in pipes and allsorts and the carb needed sorting but it ran. The battery connections were badly corroded so took some fiddling.

ye i got a trailer he gave me a number to a family busynes where he bough his puppy from and we phoned him back and he was still being funneh about starting it so i collected me deposit and a few week later i bough a city e just needs new front end due to rust (wings, front pannel and a pannels) and got a 1275 engin with it and carbon fibre ash with quit happy with it :dontgetit: anyways good luck with ur mini ben

#9 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

Sounds like it all worked out in the end for you then, yours sounds better than mine.

Thanks mate good luck with yours too

#10 clubby

clubby

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Local Club: BrEt

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:48 AM

hye mate~

good luck n all the best

any progress?

#11 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

Cheers mate

No progress as yet, working afternoons this week so dont get any time, will have a play with the door hinge panels tomorrow try and get them to fit better then hopefully weld them in at the weekend, just hope the door fits ok :dontgetit:

#12 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

Had a go at welding a patch in today, my first time mig welding so its very poor but seems to hold the plate well enough, plate still needs shaping and fully welding in but atleast its progress.

Posted Image

#13 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

looks great to me for a first attempt! :P

#14 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Cheers mate :P hopefully will get better the more I do, looks like its going to be quite a bit too :dozing:

#15 yeamini

yeamini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

Cheers mate :) hopefully will get better the more I do, looks like its going to be quite a bit too :crazy:

hey i would like to see this project finish >_< have you done any progress ? ben

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users