135 replies to this topic

#61 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

I fitted black and silver plates to my 1977 mini 2 days ago and was pulled and now have had to remove them. The fine is £60 if you meet a strict police officer, i was however lucky and was just told to remove them.

#62 MiniMan65

MiniMan65

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

It's not worth the risk anymore, I think people have had points as well which can be real pain in the bum!

Much easier to go down the velcro route if you know what I mean, wipe on! wipe off! :)

#63 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

i used to, got pulled and warned.

i dont bother anymore, its just an excuse for them to pull you over which could lead to other things. now ive grown up a little i realise its just not worth the hassle, its nice to be legal. :)

#64 aceadvice

aceadvice

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

You may not be aware of these fairly recent changes to the MOT regulations

http://www.the-ace.o...mot-update.html

DVLA can take away the number and make you undergo inspection with any can of worms that may open. As always, we have spoken with thsoe who write and control teh procedure so there is a direct Press release from DVLA.

http://www.the-ace.o...es-display.html

#65 flanders56

flanders56

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

ive been driving my 1993 for 18 months now with these bad boys on and never EVER (touch wood) been pulled etc. Ive also never been caught by any cameras or bus lanes or bus gates etc because they are show plates i have been told they dont show up on cameras or arnt recognised at petrol station automatically number plate readers. XD

When i go to the MOT, the legals come on :D

#66 Bedsref

Bedsref

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

I used to be based in Chichester and then Colchester as Royal Military Police. We worked with the civillian police to help with traffic and Friday/Saturday nights (particularly in Colchester, but it's usually Paras causing the problems)

Brief at the time was (and this was '04) that it was a problem and needed to 'educate' drivers about number plate legislation. That's exactly what I did. Pulled them, had detailed discussions about minis/VWs/MGs etc and then reminded them that technically their plates were illegal.

Have been pulled myself since in my '88 and was polite and apologetic. I recieved exactly the same response. I guess what goes around comes around!

#67 scotty_18

scotty_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Local Club: LMSOC

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

Everyone is talking about the legality of it, but could someone tell me where i can get some black plates from? Because i think they'll look quite sexual on my car :dozing:

#68 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

Everyone is talking about the legality of it, but could someone tell me where i can get some black plates from? Because i think they'll look quite sexual on my car :dozing:

+1, i'd like a set made up for my car (for shows) once it's back on the road.

#69 bobs

bobs

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Local Club: Six-Ex Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

You can get them most places, have you ever used Google? I've heard it's quite good for searching the interweb...

When my brother got a new set of pressed silver on black's made for his '69/70 the shop asked for proof of the registration date of the vehicle, they refused to make them without proof, but would happily make them in the modern reflective style.

Is this common? is this a new thing?

#70 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

you can put black and sliver plates on your newer mini BUT it must be for show purpose's only and must have proof that you was at a show and have a normal set of refective plates in the back with sticky pads :]

ive been to a few VW shoes in a golf mark 1 with black & silver plates even though it should be refective type cause we was coming back from a show we got asked to change the plates back and got let off with a warning.

#71 tieclubbyestate

tieclubbyestate

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Maybe have a set of the reflective type in the boot and if you get pulled up and they say your not supposed to have them, You could then just change them there and then and they may let you off.

Thats what ill be doing when I put mine on :genius:

didnt work :( had mine in the boot still got fined and had to change them

really liked that look aswell :cry:

i have a 1979 clubby estate and when i got it she had black plates , when i asked the old owner about it she said she carryed the propper ones in the boot :S
i quite like it to be honest its worth the risk of the fine :lol:

#72 digler

digler

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

i run black and silver plates on mini, just on the back. but i have them on velcro, so i can I FORGOT TO TAKE THEM OFF AFTER THE SHOW OFFICER!!!
but ive never been pulled, even after been followed by them!!!!,

#73 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Ive got them on i pulled up on the phone police pull up behind me get out the car walk around my car i get out problem officer (always wanted to say that to them :D ) and they said no just admiring you car :geek:

#74 Miss Piggy

Miss Piggy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Reading through this thread, I am not too keen on putting white on black plates on my 91 mini. I was however considering sticking the front plate on the bonnet which I have seen a number of times and looks very smart. I saw mentioned further up that these are also illegal. Does anyone have any experience of being pulled over for having stick on plates? I am tired of loosing my plates to speed bumps and would prefer not to place them on my grille.

Hi

I was pulled up for having a stick on number plate, looked cool on the bonnet
black and white. The nice policeman let me off with a talking to.

This was back in the late 60`s.

Miss Piggy

#75 Danny_California

Danny_California

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Slightly different from this thread but........

What about the plates that came after black/silver..... The white/black and yellow/black but with raised digits ? Mk 3 style I think, don't quote me though.
I have heard they can't be picked up by cameras (ahem) etc
Are they still available ?

Good question, I want a set of these for shows, anyone have any idea where to get a set? Admittedly I am asking prior to a Google search, but I'll get on it after this and post any findings. Unless someone already has some information?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users