40 replies to this topic

#16 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:04 PM

Cant have been in too much of a rush then :)

#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

The law is the law, I can assure you it doesn't allow other speed limits for Volvos or Ferraris. Y

i ment, if your driving a smart car (not an actual smart car) rather than some old rustie fiesta or somthing as an example, cops might view it as unsafe and look for bad points and thus more likely to be in the mind set to ban or what ever may

It would have to go to court for that, so wouldn't apply to a fixed penalty notice. Also, there are separate offences for using unroadworthy vehicles that set a standard of proof. The prosecution would have to knick you for that too, put or shut up if you like. Mind you anything is possible in your average magistrates court :) .

#18 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:12 PM

if your pulled over tho, usualy its all down the the police man, hes going to make a decision how ever he likes (within reason, not going to let u off going 200+ because your in a vayron because its "sooo cool" ) at times i feel i wouldnt be suprised tho

#19 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:52 PM

Just to mention that I don't condone speeding, I rarely do over 80 on the motorways, it's just that today I noticed in my rush that occasionally the needle was creeping towards 90.

Nah raz, I have had licence for over 2 years and only got 3 points so far. Fingers crossed I wasn't speeding through these cameras/they weren't working :) Guess I'll know sooner or later. :dontgetit:

#20 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

You will probably receive a letter in the post.

#21 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

im pretty sure average speed cameras only operate when there are roadworks (the big yellow pole thingys)? At least ive only ever seem them in operation surrounding roadworks, and i seem to re-call being told this by someone in the business...

Edited by mike49, 29 May 2008 - 10:07 AM.

#22 Rodders

Rodders

Mr Sexy Ankles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

I prseume we are reering to the camera's on the yellow poles rather the the ones on the overhead gantries.

If it was the over head type they would not have been active unless a speed was displayed.

as for the ones on the yellow poles, we have had them for ages on the M4 and have heard of no one getting done by them.

#23 Natalie

Natalie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

im pretty sure average speed cameras only operate when there are roadworks (the big yellow pole thingys)? At least ive only ever seem them in operation surrounding roadworks, and i seem to re-call being told this by someone in the business...

Some areas in South Yorks (I think) just have average speed cameras on stretches of A Roads.

#24 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

my referral was to the gantries type which are also mounted to yellow poles

#25 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

I think you should first check that there where speed cameras on that section of motorway, there's loadsa sites where you can check where the cameras are.

There arnt many motorways with cameras on you see, i'd have thought the ones you saw where just the traffic monitoring ones. When there are cameras on the motorway its usually where there are traffic calming measures for roadworks, or places which tend to have big jams.

#26 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

http://www.speedcame...k.com/specs.htm

#27 miller 666

miller 666

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

My dad was doing 140+ on the motorway and the police where doing 150, but he only got £60 and 3 points as the speed couldn't be proved (was totally stupid and not saying it to boast)

You may get they same but 100+ is a ban....

exactly the same thing happened to my dad a few years ago in his old 320 merc when it took him 5 miles to get to 155 because there limited and he got a fine and 3 points because they couldnt prove it

#28 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hi, they were on overhead gantries, but painted orange, like the average speed camera types, but instead of on a pole, on the gantry. I have seen these on the Manchester Ring Road too.

I think these were the puppies:

effin cameras

Just have to cross my fingers, toes and balls and hope for the best!

#29 scrog

scrog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:17 AM

how bout we run a book on this one

name your speed
and what day the fine turns up
or get out of jail free card (ie no ticket)
if thats ok mr harper

me i'll go for

87mph
3 points
£60
tuesday next week

#30 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

Nah raz, I have had licence for over 2 years and only got 3 points so far. Fingers crossed I wasn't speeding through these cameras/they weren't working >_< Guess I'll know sooner or later. :thumbsup:

Thats why I said during your first 2 years. And it depends on the situ. Why did you get your first 3 points?

You were lucky then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users