Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

don't worry about it too much.

you may never hear any more about it.

I got pulled over on the M40 in my Grand Voyager at 11pm one night.... I had been driving at 70mph with cruise control on, just got past Banbury on the way back to Oxford/Witney and 3 cars overtook me doing around 100 followed about half a mile behind by one doing about 120.. i though "stuff this, if anyone gets pulled over it will be one of them!!!" So i boot the V6 and pretty soon catch all 4 of the blighters and decide to do a "fly past".... at which point the rear most car which had overtaken me last put on his blue lights. >_<

As i pulled over i thought my licence would be a gonner, I admitted excess speed and stupidity and went and got into the police car and watched the video of me clocking 127 :thumbsup: I then asked him to spin the vid back by about 5 minutes where you could clearly see me in the slow lane at legal speed being overtaken by 3 faster cars and then the police car.

The traffic guy admitted to me he had been behind them for about 5 miles and was waiting for one of them to do something more silly than the others when i played my trump card.

He gave me an SP50 which was 3 points and £60.. i think and suggested if i wanted to fight it in court that i get a lift there!!

I was more than happy with my 3 points to be honest. atleat with an officer you have a chance to show remorse/guilt, if i had got the hump with him he would have thrown the book methinks.

#32 mr_apples

mr_apples

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

made me chuckle biggav

one of those genius moments >_< :

#33 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Oh just remembered the whole 12 points ban thing isnt nessecarily tru. Ive got a mate who got over 12 points but went to court and pleaded that he needed his car for work and this is no lie ive seen his license he had 17 points on it!! >_<

I think hes down to about 13 now :thumbsup:

#34 BigEnd

BigEnd

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Local Club: No local club yet

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

You're a lucky boy Gav....

I got caught a few years back when speeding was less of a revenue earner. It was a lovely clear Sunday morning around 9am going east on the M4 toward Swindon. Nothing much else on the road apart from a nice big Vauxhall Omega with lights and stripes parked on the hard shoulder. I'd been curious what the top whack was of the C class I was driving (C180) and found that 125mph was about it........just as I rolled past said Vauxhall.

They measured my speed over a quarter mile between a bridge I'd passed and their parked car: 116.3mph average including a spot of heavy braking.

Went to court wearing my best suit and sweetest smile and explained that I needed my car for work, would loose my job etc. if banned......got 4 weeks plus a £280 fine >_<

Speeding bans remain on your licence for 5 years too so your insurance takes an even bigger pounding. I even got refused cover from some insurers for my motorbike because of it....

I've given up speeding now. It costs too much :thumbsup:

Edited by BigEnd, 29 May 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#35 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

Nah raz, I have had licence for over 2 years and only got 3 points so far. Fingers crossed I wasn't speeding through these cameras/they weren't working :thumbsup: Guess I'll know sooner or later. :(

Thats why I said during your first 2 years. And it depends on the situ. Why did you get your first 3 points?

You were lucky then

Ergh, I got my first and only (so far) points last July.

I was driving down a dual carriageway that's local to me. Normally it's national speed limit, so 70, and I was doing 80....

Anyway these guys were putting road cones out to start roadworks, and they had just put up a temporary 40 sign. I thought this was ok, seeing as they hadn't started any roadworks so far.

I drove round a bend in the carriageway and saw up above on a bridge a copper with a camera. I fiercely braked down to 40mph, but unfortunately he clocked me while I was braking at 52mph. 3 points £60 fine >_<

In fact, I have a piccie... they sent me as "evidence"

don't laugh!

Posted Image

I look like such a muppet!

#36 lil dan

lil dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

there is no such thing as an instant ban for speeding alone. 30mph above the set speed limit will land you a court summons. a police officer (if pulled over) can not remove your license on the spot, it is up to the court to decide your punishment whether it be points, fine, ban, whatever. most of the time you will get 3 points and £60 fine if you are within this thresh-hold.

I was caught and pulled over along M2 doing an ave 123.91mph over 3.344 miles and a top speed of 140 mph in my old car. I received £200 fine and 56 day ban. i was caught on 3/11/06 and and was in caught 12/3/07. i was free to drive up until i was sentaced. so i could have driven to court but not home.

#37 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

I heard from a copper mate of mine that they used to deal with traffic offences at a local magistrates court on the same morning each week, they would sit in an unmarked car opposite and wait for people who had just recieved a ban from the court to return to their car to drive home :lol: . apparently something like 25% of people were doing it, if only to return their car to their driveway for the duration of the ban.

#38 RetroRacer21

RetroRacer21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

I need to watch my speeding.

I get too excited driving, and my right foot likes exceleration of the mark.
I dont like going too fast, but I have done over 115, but I do tend to do 90 on duel carrigeways.

but there's so so many cars on the way to work and back home, who speed doing 90+

I passed test first time, 4 minors, and been driving now well, had lience for 5 years, drove for about 2-3.

no points, no stops... so I need to watch myself.
dont like going fast, just like corners and 0-60's :lol:

#39 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:35 PM

This is what I think to be true:

Anything over 25mph over the speed limit is an instant court appearance and likely ban.

Anything between 1 and 25mph over the speed limit is 3 points and £60.

My dad got caught by a traffic officer doing 97mph in a 60 zone and was luckily only given 3 points and £60 because of his honesty (even though his speedo was reading 110...).

I'd make an educated guess at 3 points and £60.

#40 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

I was caught and pulled over along M2 doing an ave 123.91mph over 3.344 miles and a top speed of 140 mph in my old car. I received £200 fine and 56 day ban. i was caught on 3/11/06 and and was in caught 12/3/07. i was free to drive up until i was sentaced. so i could have driven to court but not home.

Someone I know averaged 115mph over 6 miles with a top speed of 150mph on the motorway and was summoned to court, etc and came away with a 56 day ban and £270 fine.

He was caught shortly after his ban was lifted again, this time undertaking at 90mph in a 50mph zone. That time he got a £1000 fine and a 56 day ban again.

56 days is the maximum you can be banned for a speeding offence, strange but true :lol:

#41 lil dan

lil dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

Someone I know averaged 115mph over 6 miles with a top speed of 150mph on the motorway and was summoned to court, etc and came away with a 56 day ban and £270 fine.

He was caught shortly after his ban was lifted again, this time undertaking at 90mph in a 50mph zone. That time he got a £1000 fine and a 56 day ban again.

56 days is the maximum you can be banned for a speeding offence, strange but true :lol:

56 days is the maximum of a minimum ban. anything longer than a 56 day ban means you will have to re-do your test, as far as i'm aware. if they want to give you longer they will turn it in to dangerous driving, which is easy at speeds above 100mph

Edited by lil dan, 30 May 2008 - 11:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users