5 replies to this topic

#1 subk2002

subk2002

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:13 PM

Im going to paint my car myself :erm: Iv never sprayed a car before but iv got all the right gear at work.
I was wondering what the best way to do it is???

I heard you can get a one coat stuff called magiecoat or somthing like that,its got the laquer in it ?.
Or do i get paint and laquer? ,
If i go for the second one , How do i go about preparing the car Primer/paint/then laquer ??

Any advise on the subject would be great. :grin:

Cheers Drew

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:28 AM

You first choice is the paint you are going to be using... ther are thre basic types...

Cellulose ( old school )
Water based ( used on most production cars )
Twin Pack ( I think the preferred custom paint )

Each has their pro's and cons...

Cellulose, is the the old style of paint and is still favoured in amateur spraying, it's easy to obtain not expensive, and has a quick "going off" time and air dries and hence does not require a drying booth, The down side is it take a lot of work to get a deep gloss finish.

Water based paints are getting better and better, provide a better finish to celly, but I believe still need a heated booth to dry.

Twin Pack, provides that deep gloss shine and I believe most of the flip type paint jobs, it has an extreemly high build rate and quick drying time which is induced by a chemical reaction between the two active ingredients in the paint mix, which unfortunatly contains cyanide so MUST be done in a booth and with proper breating apparatus.

These are what I believe tobe true, but I'm no paint expert....

however..

whichever paint application is used, the finish is all down to the work which is put in the first place, no matter how much paint is applied, if the surface underneath is scratched, dented etc, then these will show through and even the smallest of scratches ar magnified...

The fill, flatting, prime, and repeat will need to be done repeatedly to get a good staring surface, perparation is everything..

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

The above about covers it , preperation is 90% of the sprayed finish, get this right and an amature sprayer can get a finish ready to "buff" up
or after you prep it up pay a pro sprayer to topcoat it for you , it should only take 1 to 2 hours so £50 (cash)is most generous
we have done jobs where the car is ready preped , we just mask(spirit wipe , tacky etc) and topcoat in our booth and charged £150

#4 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

really??

150 spons??

Where is your shop?

#5 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:51 PM

Round where i live and the surrounding areas bodyshops arnt aloud to use anything else but waterbased. If you get caught using anything else there is serious trouble.

#6 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:56 AM

My Body/spray shop is in North Wales :wales:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users