158 replies to this topic

#121 kartman

kartman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

First off thanks for an excellent guide gave a great starting point. In all it cost me about 11 or 12 quid to i got the wood free so a bit more if i had to pay for it. Here is the finished product very happy with it, makes such a difference (not the best pic so i might get a better one later). Now i need a bit that goes over the boot lid, anyone know where i can get one from? Cheers.

Jordan

Posted Image

#122 mymini007

mymini007

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

Ok, I too will have a go at building one of these, red vynil for me though.

(Runs off to B&Q).......

Pics when finished.

#123 mymini007

mymini007

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

First off thanks for an excellent guide gave a great starting point. In all it cost me about 11 or 12 quid to i got the wood free so a bit more if i had to pay for it. Here is the finished product very happy with it, makes such a difference (not the best pic so i might get a better one later). Now i need a bit that goes over the boot lid, anyone know where i can get one from? Cheers.

Jordan

Posted Image

I know this....... you can cut the right shape from 6mm MDF and then soak it in water, once its wet, you sit it in position on the boot and sit bricks on it until it sits nice and snug in side your boot curve, repaet until perfect, and then cover to match your boot box.

#124 BGB

BGB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Local Club: East Lothian Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

Great Guide but in experience ill stick to buying the finished article from optimise..

if it looks crap ill blame someone else.

#125 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

boot lid covers cost about £3 from carmatsrus if i remember correctly

#126 kartman

kartman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

boot lid covers cost about £3 from carmatsrus if i remember correctly

Thats correct mine arrived today, now how do i hold it in place?

#127 Frequency

Frequency

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

these look great, doing something similar in my dad's mini but going a slightly different route with it (also dragging the job out a little bit hoping I can convince him to let me put a 10" sub on the RHS :) )

plus I 'm having to be pretty meticulous since I'm going to trim it in black vinyl and I don't want any screws visible and, well i'm just picky is all.

#128 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

Do the bought ones come with fitting instructions? Where do you actually attach the boards to the rest of the car? What kind of brackets have other people used???

#129 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Do the bought ones come with fitting instructions? Where do you actually attach the boards to the rest of the car? What kind of brackets have other people used???

Hiya, see you are a local just down the road from me, the brackets i used were adjustable corner brackets, if you get the ones that allow movement it means u can angle the board and stick the brackets at angles, i cant remember the proper name for them, and for the ova guys if you follow the guide, fit the back board first, then attach the right board, then the left and connect the front board, it will fit perfectly and hold itself together nicely.

#130 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Before:

(not really a TRUE before picture...as I'd already tidied all the rubbish etc. out!)

Cardboard Stage:

After:

(Not perfect....but better than nothing!)

Andrew.

PS Thanks for the guide Russell

No probs mate, glad could help :)

#131 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

Looks good with the tank exposed imo, but can you remove the LHS board without losing the structure? Because that would look better.

If you wish to remove the left hand side without losing the structure here is what i would do, remove the left hand side board and create a fixed backet mouted to the back board and front board, this then means the removable shelf over the wheel shall sit on these brackets and not rely on any support from the left hand board, however saying that if you took the left hand board out, the structure would still be there but if you took the wheel out then the structed would disapear. hope this helps

#132 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

Thank you to Russell-Mini30 for this thread, it was a great help when i made mine back at christmas.
I chose to use hard-board, plywood and a thicker plywood instead of the MDF. Only two problems with this: One was cutting each and ever screw's tip off as they were slightly too long. The second was my mum after she found out i used her car bonnet as a second work bench. :thumbsup:
Pictures

sam

#133 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Thank you to Russell-Mini30 for this thread, it was a great help when i made mine back at christmas.
I chose to use hard-board, plywood and a thicker plywood instead of the MDF. Only two problems with this: One was cutting each and ever screw's tip off as they were slightly too long. The second was my mum after she found out i used her car bonnet as a second work bench. :wub:
Pictures

sam

haha legendary!!! Glad i can help

#134 spork

spork

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Local Club: Endless Breakdown Society

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Nice, Very helpful. May have a go at making one sometime next week.

#135 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Nice, Very helpful. May have a go at making one sometime next week.

glad i could help :lol: post up the pictures when you have made yours :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users