3 replies to this topic

#1 Wrenchpuller

Wrenchpuller

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

A friend has a 1968 Mini. It has been stored in his garage since 1978 (yep only 10 years old when put away). He and his wife would like to put it back on the road. I have checked it out and structurly it is sound. Needs 2 front floor 1/2 pans, front fenders and a rear subframe. Plus all the other thing from a 30 year rest. Brakes, hoses, lines, etc, etc.
But this question relates to the suspension. The car is fitted with "Hydrolastic" suspension, totally deflated and I doubt that the suspension units would hold pressure since the may well be perished. I cannot find much available for parts for the Hydolastic system.
I am wondering, since it needs a new rear subframe, would it just be easier to convert to dry/rubber system?
Would the front subframe have to be changed as well?
Apart from the Rubber springs, what else would be needed...ie: trumpets, swing arms etc?

Thanks for any help
Cheers Ric

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

A friend has a 1968 Mini. It has been stored in his garage since 1978 (yep only 10 years old when put away). He and his wife would like to put it back on the road. I have checked it out and structurly it is sound. Needs 2 front floor 1/2 pans, front fenders and a rear subframe. Plus all the other thing from a 30 year rest. Brakes, hoses, lines, etc, etc.
But this question relates to the suspension. The car is fitted with "Hydrolastic" suspension, totally deflated and I doubt that the suspension units would hold pressure since the may well be perished. I cannot find much available for parts for the Hydolastic system.
I am wondering, since it needs a new rear subframe, would it just be easier to convert to dry/rubber system?
Would the front subframe have to be changed as well?
Apart from the Rubber springs, what else would be needed...ie: trumpets, swing arms etc?

Thanks for any help
Cheers Ric

All you need to know here on this LINK:-
http://www.minimania...28/ArticleV.cfm

Edited by mab01uk, 06 June 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#3 Wrenchpuller

Wrenchpuller

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

All you need to know here on this LINK:-
http://www.minimania...28/ArticleV.cfm
[/quote]

Many thanks Mabo,
I think that answers all my questions, I will forward that link to my friend...He can sort a shopping list out.
I see you are located in Surrey, I lived in Haslemere and surrounding area for the first 30 years of my life...left for Canada in 1978.

Thanks for the info
Cheers Ric

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Glad to be of help!
Haslemere is still a nice place but unfortunately you would probably notice a big increase in road traffic levels in Surrey since 1978 !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users