#1 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:00 AM

hey,
If I put wheel spacers on, is it likely that I will damage anything on my standard mini? im guessing there would be more strain on everything with the wheels further out.
Also how does this look on a mini with normal width wheels, I think mine are 5" but I could be wrong,
thanks a lot,
pEaCE
Dom

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:35 PM

Yes it will put strain onto the bearings, but in most cases this is hardly an issue (13" wheels will have 10 times more damage-effect on bearings than 12 or 10" with some spacers).

If possible try to get the spacers with the longer studs, not the screw on stud extensions. Those are supposed to be dangerous (and yes, how did you guess, i have a set on mine :cheese: )

The only other thing that you might have to do is depending ont he amount spacered, the wheels might start rubbing the arches a bit when you turn a lot, this is remedied by slightly trimming the wings.

The look is hardly a reason to get spacers in my opinion (i have them because i have metro wheels which wont fit due to wrong offset). Like I just said, I think the best reason to get spacers is to correct offset if your wheels have the wrong offset.

#3 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:56 PM

What are wheel spacers?? Sorry?? :erm:

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:04 PM

You put them between the hub (drum brake or disc brake) and the inside of the wheel. They have 4 holes for the studs just like a wheel and you sandwich it between the wheel and the hub to push the wheel further out (spacer it)

There are two types, one this X looking type with screw on stud extensions, and the other is just a round plate with holes and it comes with longer studs which you have to exchange for your short ones. The X shaped ones are supposed to be dangerous and not recommended but I have a set on my mini and so far they are okay (got other problems though).

If you have a Minimag, then just look at MWS Midland wheel supply pages they have spacers with pictures that explain it all :)

#5 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

Yeah will do, just one more question, why do you need to push the wheel out further?? :erm:

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:31 PM

For looks, for stability and if the wheel that you have doesn't have enough offset, it is increased by using spacers (e.g. me using my metro wheels. Without spacers the inside of the wheel rubs against the tie-rod in the front and the shock absorber in the rear).

#7 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:50 PM

Cheers pavel for the info!! :)

#8 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

I was thinking of doing this for the looks, Do you think it would be a bit of a waste?
I think its more the wide wheel look im after, but I just thought this might be a cheap way to make it look like the wheels are wider,
thanks a lot,
pEaCE
Dom
P.s . the set ive seen has the longer studs I think

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:19 PM

For looks i'd say its really really not worth it.

You'll spend at least 40 pounds around for the set of spacers with studs. Itll probly be a bit more even!

Then you'll need wider arches etc. You might even need wheel arch modification..

I mean youre coming up on like 100 pounds for all that (to get arches sprayed too would be extra)..

It's a bit too much for my liking just for looks!

But if your wheels really dont fill the arches, then definitely go for it!

#10 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:09 PM

does it effect the handling?

#11 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:45 PM

I think there would be enough space to fit them in with the arches, but im thinking, what I really want it a set of wider wheels. Im wondering if I should maybe save my money and eventually get some nice wider ones first. i also have a bit of work to do before the MOT, so I might actually wait and see how much spare money I have to throw on things like that, hehe.
Thanks for your advice,
pEaCE
Dom.

#12 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:53 PM

Just look for a set of 12x6 deep dish wheels, revos look the best (even if ure not a fan of 4 spoke designs like me, they still give the car a very nice look, almost 10" stance).

You'll need to slightly trim the wheel arch (the wing, not the plastic arch) so that the wheels dont rub but this is a very simple job and if you dont want to do it urself it should be very cheap to be done by somebody else!

That's what I would do. Just save up till then and keep an eye out for used sets of 12x6 wheels on ebay and classifieds etc. they come up for cheap every so often!

minicooperman: they hardly affect handling. They make the car more stable, less nifty, but you probably wont notice anyway.

#13 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:24 AM

Spacers are ok, I've always used them without any problems or premature bearing wear.

If you are going to use them tho, dont go any bigger that 3/4" for safety reasons, and make sure you get the ones that come with long studs, not the screw on stud extensions.

Old Blue had 3/4" on the front with 10" and 13" wheels and it handled fine and I didnt notice any bad effects from it...

#14 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:37 PM

to pavel: cool.

#15 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:59 PM

iv got 3/4" on mine front and rear with gp 2 arches, and its fine, had no problems at all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users