15 replies to this topic

#1 Lora222

Lora222

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:52 AM

im interested in gaining more power from my 1293 A Plus mini. it is single carbed (1 " 3/4) and has a k&n induction element. its estimated to have about 75bhp but im wanting to get a bit more power for track driving etc. yet still be able to drive it in town.

i cant afford to turbo it etc....any suggestions, it is a very good engine.

many thanks
:cry:

#2 Lora222

Lora222

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

anyone?? someone?? :cry:

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

Bit out of the way in the project section, you realy need this in technical... but
quite simply, if you havn't all ready, alloy freeflow inlet and a freeflow (LCB or suchlike) exhaust, then move onwards, Cam ( 286 / SW10 ) and nicely ported head (see BlueMini) and possibly a lightened flywheel.... all of a sudden you'll be up in the 90's I reckon ( at the flywheel that is )

#4 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

Has the car ever been rolling road tuned after the rebore? If not, or if you dont know whether is has for sure, consider this option first. A full setup typically costs in the order of £60>£85 depending on where you go. It is recommended you goto a rolling road that has experience of A Series tho.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

#5 Lora222

Lora222

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:12 PM

ive no idea if its been on the rolling road, the engine is a mini spares reconditioned 1275, apparently nowadays they have to be bored out to 1293cc. the engine was put in about an exact year ago. i dont fancy going on a rolling road and end up wrecking the engine etc. heard too many bad stories.

i have found a camshaft on minispeed, do you have a link to get Cam ( 286 / SW10 )? how much is this? i wouldnt mind a stage 3 head or twin webers.

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

It'll be fine on a rolling road, if you take it to a good/reputable tuner it they will know what thier doing. But like said before, take it somewere that is known to be good with A-series even if you have to travel, it'll be worth it. There is a guy down here (not mentioning any names) who is a brilliant tuner, but absolutly C**p with A-series.

#7 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:08 AM

Bluemini i take mine to Alan Jeffories when it needs it is this the place to go? I know he used to race midgets an they're A-series so i guess he is the man to see?

#8 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:28 AM

My preferred tuner was Carburation & Injection, but they have closed down now, but I beleive there is a place at Newnham that has not long opened thats supposed to be excellent.
Nolan Pitts, the legend he is, is a very good bloke. A little pricey some times, but you defo pay for what you get with him! I can listen to his stories of racing minis and stuff all day, such an interesting bloke.

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:21 AM

yes jimbo most people in our club use alan jeffreys hes very good

#10 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:56 AM

well i would put a bigger carb needle in it, and put automatic transmition fluid in teh dash pot (its thinner so u go faster) and i would also put a new exhaust system on it.

#11 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

please dont listen to miniman, that information was incorect. Putting a larger needle in it will make the mixture leaner and could do some serious harm. and as for the dash pot oil, the only time u relaly need to think it out is when the engine can be accelerated quicker, e.g light weight flywheel and alot more power, as the dash pot will need to rise quicker. If you take it to a rolling road you wont have to worry about this as they will usually machine you a needle if needed.

A head would b a good next step with full stg1 kit if you dont already have one. as for cams you can get them from most places and mini shops that u find in the mag. A good person to speak to about someything thats suitable is Simon at Morspeed

http://www.morspeed.co.uk/

#12 Lora222

Lora222

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:52 AM

thanks, i mentioned a cam to my dad and he said "its too much work involved" i dont know if it was just his way of saying, "i cant be bothered" cause its usually him who does all the mechanical/engine things. i have a k&n induction cone filter with a metal feed, it either has an lcb manifold or 3 branch of some sort. my dad says this is basically like a stage 1?

#13 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

yeh thats right. Changing a cam is a bit of work as you have to seperate the block from the gear box. So you will probably be looking at high lift roller tip rocker 1.5/1 and a cylinder head. Im sure Blue mini (rich) will be able to help you with the head

#14 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:05 PM

I got my camshaft out of an engine without taking it off the box?? Just take the timing cover n chain off, take out the cam followers through the holes in the side of the block (if its a 998), then undo the little plate and pull. Not sure if you are SUPPOSED to be able to get them out that way, but I did!

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

The were only certain blocks that have the tappet covers to take the cam followers out. I don't think it was all 998s.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users