16 replies to this topic

#1 dave_b80

dave_b80

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

well i thought it was about time i started a project thread for my mini! ive got a 1990 that i bought last year but due to workinf away ect i havent had much time to crack on with it but ive got some progress done so here we are!
the car wasnt in too bad condition, i think it still does have mot on it, its solid with some minor surface tin worm, the worst bits were the inner a panel where the door hinges mount, the corner of the scuttle panel and the front panel around the seams. the a series is a 1340, cam'd, 1.5 roller rockers,head work plus a few other bits. the rings have gone though so thats on my list of things to do and either sell on or keep for a rainy day!, anyways heres a few pics of how the car was when i 1st bought it....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 dave_b80

dave_b80

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

next job was take off the front end due to tin worm and a planned removal front and to make removing the a series easier

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

other areas that will require attention!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

stripped the inside of the car too and removed some of tar from the floor pan in the front that had become patchy, looked nice and solid luckily!

Posted Image

#3 dave_b80

dave_b80

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

in between doin bits the mini i found myself a nice r1 5jj lump! ive also got a full loom, exhaust mani and some other parts with it ......

Posted Image

with working away alot and not being a welder i sent the mini off to some lads i know to install a cage i got from geronimo and finish stipping the car down and give the inside a lick of paint..... excuse the pic quality as they are off my fone!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

added some additional webbing to the cage
Posted Image

the cage fit wasnt the best so extra platting had to be used to get the rear legs to fit properly
Posted Image

replacement inner a panel welded in
Posted Image

next things to do are to get a new scuttle panel fitted and the a panels and the carbon fibre front end ive got ready to go on
Posted Image

i think thats about it at the moment, ive got a few boxes of new parts to go on the car that ive collected off ebay ect, ordering poly windows and sliders in the next wk. the plan for the car is to be a track day / weekender. the outside of the shell is goin to be the same 1980s rs1600i graphite grey with a white roof, wide arches and alley cats, well thats the plan at the moment anyways! im hopin to order a promotive kit in the next few months as im not in a major panic to get it done, would rather get it done right than rush!

dave

Edited by dave_b80, 15 June 2008 - 12:07 PM.

#4 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

wahey ! good on ya - solid progress made already and looking real nice ;)

#5 dave_b80

dave_b80

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

cheers mate! still loads ive got planned to do but its gettin there slowly! was meaing to ask you what sort of turn around do promotive have with regards to ordering and it being delivered?? i havent actually spoken to them yet but if theres quite a wait i might get an order in sooner rather than later even if its just to put down a deposit

cheers

dave

#6 progeny

progeny

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

Veeeeeery nice!

Loving the roll cage!

Good luck with everthinh mate!

Andy

#7 fwdr1mini

fwdr1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

dave,

we are just starting another batch that should be ready in about 4 to 6 weeks. they are selling faster than we can make them and we have quite a few secured already so it would be a good idea to give us a ring and secure 1.

hopefully speak soon

Darren

#8 dave_b80

dave_b80

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

thanks for info! will give you a ring soon for def as i could do with some extra info anyways,

cheers

dave

#9 KermitStu

KermitStu

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

sorry for being dim but this engine go in the front will it? how quick are they compared to 1.3? top speed acceleration ect?

looks like a great prodject though

Edited by KermitStu, 08 July 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#10 dave_b80

dave_b80

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

im purchasing a kit so it will go straight in the front mate, check out www.pro-motive.co.uk or have a look at other projects in this section like roofless's . The r1 engine puts out 150+ bhp which is alot more compared to your average 1.3, i "think" 0-60 is in the 5's, top speed im not sure but this all varies on what diff you go for, again someone like roofless or darren who runs pro-motive would be able to give you more accurate info!

dave

#11 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

sorry for being dim but this engine go in the front will it? how quick are they compared to 1.3? top speed acceleration ect?

sorry to hi-jack.......................

engine goes in the front - easier than an a series " in-the-subframe " swap due to space around engine once it goes back in - speed wise, 125mph top end achievable with the right engine and gearing options - how quick are they? - will make you think your old a series was going in reverse - in all 4 gears ;)

an older kit on carbs ( fitted and tweaked by a very experienced chap ) recently got 170 BHP at the wheels on dyno / rolling road at gaydon. Mine on injection out-ran the rolling road ( due mainly to technical difficulties with the rolling road ), tried to jump off, at 5000rpm in third gear read 144 BHP. The power band is at 9000-10500 rpm so it had a way to go to get a proper reading.

lots of people talk about them having no torque - I dare anyone who has had a test ride in mine to substantiate this................... :D

basky got his fitted and ready for 2nd fix electrics etc in 4 days.

need any more persuasion ? :D

#12 rtg54

rtg54

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies, MINI5280

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

sorry to hi-jack.......................

engine goes in the front - easier than an a series " in-the-subframe " swap due to space around engine once it goes back in - speed wise, 125mph top end achievable with the right engine and gearing options - how quick are they? - will make you think your old a series was going in reverse - in all 4 gears :D

an older kit on carbs ( fitted and tweaked by a very experienced chap ) recently got 170 BHP at the wheels on dyno / rolling road at gaydon. Mine on injection out-ran the rolling road ( due mainly to technical difficulties with the rolling road ), tried to jump off, at 5000rpm in third gear read 144 BHP. The power band is at 9000-10500 rpm so it had a way to go to get a proper reading.

lots of people talk about them having no torque - I dare anyone who has had a test ride in mine to substantiate this................... :P

basky got his fitted and ready for 2nd fix electrics etc in 4 days.

need any more persuasion ? ^_^

Sorry to hi-jack the hi-jack but if you don't mind my asking what sort of 1/4 mile times have you been seeing? I know numbers don't tell the whole story but I'm just curious for general comparison purposes.

#13 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

nice work, im warming to the idea of the r1 conversion.

next week end will be a make or brake if roofless takes me out.

how sturdy is the cage?

#14 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

its looking great mate, loving the condition of that shell, and the cage looks really rigid, will come together rapido once you get your subframe, got mine in in 3 days.

Al

#15 wallie

wallie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

im liking the pro-motive conversion and i have read everything on the site the only thing thats putting me off is the fact there is no reverse mechanism/motor i kno it says your working on the idea but how long will this take?

mini looks very good mate rather take your time and get it right rather than cut corners. also the front mounted appeals to me more than the z cars kits no need to butcher your mini up, at least this way it could be returned back to standardish (back to A series setup) all the best for the project tho mate!

roofless/darren both your cars are in this months mini world :P they looks so cool!!! just wondering though are they suitable to use as a daily drive or not practical/too much for the engine?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users