roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

oil level sensor.

due to a freak minor accident I recently manged to slice the cable for the oil pressure sensor, soldered a repair and all was good.

tonight engine has gone a bit jerky, couple of minor back fires and will only rev if you let the gas on slowly and gently.

question 1. is it safe to assume the repair to the cable wasn't done well enough and this might be causing the problem ?

question 2. is it safe to assume if I remove the oil level sensor, oil will gush everywhere ?

for the sake of swapping a 4 quid part am I gonna have to drain and refill 40 quids worth of oil ?

thanks

martin.

PS, no section in motorbike conversions so I have to keep coming into the big boy's playground =]

#2 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

i think your going to have to drain the oil to replace it mate, my carbed r1 engine only has a light in the dash so removing the wires didnt cause any problems, have you checked that the break in the wire could cause the problems you describe?

#3 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

i think your going to have to drain the oil to replace it mate, my carbed r1 engine only has a light in the dash so removing the wires didnt cause any problems, have you checked that the break in the wire could cause the problems you describe?

it seemed to cause the problem the other day, thats how i found the severed wire, once repaired it seemed OK, but its gone screwy again. My bad soldering I think. :thumbsup:

I'm just eager to find out whether the lack of power / acceleration is maybe due to the ecu thinking there is an oil problem ? does the ECU do that ? might it be something else?

new sensor is cheap as chips, just a pain in the ass because she's gargling with the good stuff at the mo, 45 quid a go.

oh well, fresh oil will probably do her some good, and we'll see if the problem persists.

#4 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

just a thought, if yamaha were to engineer in some kind of safe mode surley an oil problem the engine would just not run... have you got a manual ? get reading it will list all the fault codes and what will happen to the engine if a fault code occurs, ? as i say mines an earlier engine and i rigged up the wiring so that the ecu thinks the oil level is cool the whole time, i cant remember what i did but i'm sure i just earthed out the sensor wire or joined em together or something could try that quickly see if the problem goes away then you'l know for sure?

lee

#5 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

I chopped all those wires out of the loom completely so the ecu has no idea what the oil level is, still runs fine no problems whatsoever. I think the problem is coincidental with you repairing the wires, i would check other stuff like plugs and fueling, maybe a blocked fuel filter or a blown plug....

#6 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

I have a pdf Service maunual BUT its for a 5VY so not sure if its any use as i think thats when they changed? But the fault codes and how to get to them may be the same?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users