#286 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:33 AM

step65_005.jpg
Although my main focus these days is building the wiring harness, there are still a number of other issues that I am rotating through. One item that needed a solution was finding a mounting point for the oil pressure and oil temperature gauge sending units. When I had a remote oil filter it was easy to just mount them within a sandwich filter. Now that I've decided to eliminate all that I lost any obvious location for the take-offs.

step65_006.jpg
I'm not the only one facing this issue. Many BEC owners running R1 engines have chosen the oil cooler bolt as a good location, so I decided to follow suit. Mine was looking decidedly rough so i purchased a replacement and tapped it. It should work fine but with the engine installed in the subframe there is no way to remove/replace the bolt! That will have to wait. The good thing is that I now know where the senders will be mounted, allowing me to at least route the sender wires for now.

step65_007.jpg

step65_009.jpg
When the Power Commander V was released for the 5PW ('02-'03 R1 engine) I snapped one up. It includes an O2 sensor to allow closed loop tuning of the air/fuel ratio. This should result in me being able to skip expensive rolling road dyno tuning (until I want to get every last bit of power out of the engine at least), make more power, improve fuel economy and burn cleaner. Win/win. The other good news is that when I had the exhaust system fabricated the shop added an O2 sensor mounting bung! Unfortunately the installed location would point the sensor right into the front anti-roll bar that I later added. So much for thinking ahead.

step65_010.jpg
After a lot of head scratching I found one (and only one) location that the O2 sensor could go that would not interfere with the engine, MinieXvo frame, front subframe, coolant lines, heater fitting, or front ARB. I carefully marked it, removed the entire exhaust with the help of a friend, and took all 10 feet of it to a local welder. He was able to TIG weld a new bung on. I reinstalled the system, installed the O2 sensor and I was very relieved to see that it fits! You can just see it buried down there.

step65_020.jpg
Removing the exhaust system also allowed me to address another issue. The muffler was banging around and smacking into the bottom of the rear valence. I had already trimmed the valence some but the real issue was that the rubber muffler hangers were just too flexible. After much searching I found that Cusco makes a hanger identical to the two I had but in a firmer polyurethane, seen here in blue. by the way, the banging was happening just while rolling the car around the garage and driveway. I can only imagine the havoc had I actually been driving the car around California's 3rd world streets.

step65_030.jpg
And here is the system re-installed using the new hangers. I need to adjust things a bit but I think this could work.

step65_040.jpg
On to the next fun segment of the wiring harness - re-pinning the R1 ECU. In order to communicate with the ECU I would need to use this plug. Each of these wires terminate in a tiny socket. Although a bit grungy, I could just clip all of these wires a few inches from the connector and splice the rest of my harness into it. The reason I decided against this is that I would have to splice into every wire. This gives that many more failure points and adds a lot of unnecessary girth and weight to the harness right where I can least afford it - within the ECU tray.

I decided instead to figure out how to disassembe the ECU connector and repin the entire thing using new wiring. Thankfully I had two R1 harnesses - one to learn on (read: screw up and break) and one to actually use. Once I was able to disassemble it I got a good look at the sockets. Many hours of research online later and I found a near-perfect match - Auveco GM Micro-pack 100 W Series terminals (part number 20209). So for anyone out there messing with R1 ECU's I hope that helps.

step65_050.jpg
This is the ECU plug prior to disassembly.

step65_060.jpg
Partially disassembled.

step65_065.jpg
All wires and sockets replaced. The sockets are made to accept 18ga wire, which matches with the original wiring. There are two exceptions - pins 3 and 25, which are both 14ga (?) ground wires. After spending way too many hours familiarizing myself with the R1 harness it appears Yamaha is always careful to go with the thinnest gauge wire they can reliably get away with. I assume they had a very good reason to run heavier gauge here so I decided to do the same. Problem is the sockets I have will not accept anything larger than 18ga. Yamaha used slightly different sockets that could accommodate heavier gauge wire. The easiest thing was just to re-use originals. Two splices are better than thirty-four!

This photo also shows the small white plastic plugs installed. These fill in any unused wire/socket cavities. My harness design does away with several more cavities than stock but after raiding the second harness, I had exactly the number of plugs required.
step65_070.jpg
The final part of the assembly was pushing the top cap on. Every single socket has to line up perfectly in order for the cap to fully seat. After several attempts I realized this was not going to happen without some sort of tool. I finally worked out a solution. I held the cap an inch or two above the sockets. I slid a piece of welding wire down through the first hole in the cap. I then looked underneath the cap to guide the wire directly into the top of the socket. Once this was done to each socket I was able to slow force the cap downwards, the wire helping to guide the terminal into the corresponding cap hole. A bit time consuming but it worked the first time.

step65_075.jpg
My reward? I now get to wire up the ECU's. This will likely be the worst part of the entire wiring job. There is a lot going on, not much space for it all to go in, and the final hooks up within the passenger compartment will all be under the passenger-side dashboard. It will be awkward and back-straining.

step65_080.jpg

And here is the current state of the engine compartment. The bird's nest grows.

Edited by Joe250, 16 April 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#287 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

This is incredible and i am fascinated by your work.

The way you have mounted components, constructed the wiring loom and built everything up gives it a very OEM look and looks far from home brewed.

And while i remember, i am so glad that the wheel arches/fenders went before the final paint job. I hated them! and i can say that now they are gone!!

brilliant workmanship and a joy to read.

Ben

#288 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Again, the attention to detail on this build is second to none.  I would LOVE to see this thing in the flesh some day

#289 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

I can't wait to see this car done!

#290 MrFail

MrFail

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

This build is awesome...
I love the cage and the exhaust .

Removing the floor crossmember would have made my seat install so much easier, but I dont have a cage to re-strengthen the floor if I remove mine.

#291 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:16 AM

In my last update I was just completing rewiring my R1 ECU. Here I'm just starting to wire and install the ECU tray, which is just a hinged metal plate that I've attached all of the various control units to.

IMG_1775.jpg

With the ECU tray out of the car, I wired all the ECU's together where required.

IMG_1776.jpg

Here you can see the car prior to installing the tray. All of the wires coming from the boot have been routed up the righthand C-pillar, along the roof channel, down the A-pillar channel where they emerge at the lower dash. Wires that need to connect to anything in the ECU tray will pass thru grommeted holes in the floor of the lower dash. If they need to reach the engine compartment they will connect to the mil-spec connectors underneath the dash.

You can also see two red pass-thru connectors on the firewall. These will allow constant and switched power to pass between the passenger compartment and the engine bay.

IMG_1779.jpg

The tray has been temporarily fitting into place. This allowed me to determine exactly how long the wires in the tray would need to be to reach the firewall connector.

IMG_1785.jpg

With the desired wire length known, I pulled the tray out, set up a ruler and started cutting.

IMG_1786.jpg

Eventually I wound up with this. You'll notice I still didn't get my service loops right. They ended up too large in diameter and too far away from the connector. They will work but I continue to learn from my mistakes.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

The tray returns and the wiring continues. I've now started connecting those trunk wires into the ECU's, routing wires up the A-pillar to the upper control housing, as well as sending wires to the central instument panel, center switch panel, steering wheel controls and gear indicator.

IMG_1825.jpg

To keep from getting too frustrated/bored I continually switched work areas. Here was the current state of the engine bay. Notice the fuse/relay boxes are loose and beginning to have wires stuffed into them.

IMG_1832.jpg

Looking a bit better. The fuse boxes are now wired up and all wires throughout the engine bay are slowly being bundled and routed towards the firewall connectors.

IMG_1835.jpg

What a mess! Tackling several areas simultaneously comes at a price.

IMG_1845.jpg

If you recall many months ago I thought I had a mounting solution worked out for the transfer box's oil pump and filters. That didn't pan out due to the lack of space in the engine bay. After some more measuring I designed this triple-clamp. It will attach to the pump body with the inlet and outlet filters clamped above.

IMG_1846.jpg

Before paying to have the part fabricated I made some templates in cardboard.

IMG_1850.jpg

They work fine here and after carefully inserting the assembly into the car I was satisfied. Hopefully the completed part will be in my hands soon.

IMG_2033.jpg

Here I've made some progress on the wiring of the steering wheel. The buttons on the wheel, the shifter paddles, the turn signal stalk, and the R1 instrument display all have to be wired up.

IMG_2034.jpg

Here you can see the third and fourth fuse boxes being wired.

IMG_2035.jpg

The central switch panel is now complete.

IMG_2039.jpg

The wiring of the steering wheel buttons and shifters necessitated flexible coiled wires to allow for rotation of the steering. I'm not sure where I am going to route and possibly conceal all of this wiring. Some of it I don't think I will be able to. For now though I just need to hook everything up and test all the circuits. I will worry about aesthetics later.

IMG_2040.jpg

This is a photo from this past weekend. At this point the wiring throughout the entire car was essentially finished except for the engine bay. My goal was to complete this wiring over the next two days.

IMG_2041.jpg

Here is where things stood on Friday evening.

IMG_2051.jpg

Eventually all of the wiring merged at the firewall connectors. With 35 different wires passing through the connector I didn't have enough wire colors to keep them all unique, hence the blue tape labeling each wire.

IMG_2062.jpg

By Sunday afternoon I was ready to start the final crimps.

IMG_2063.jpg

Before inserting the first of the 35 wires into the connector I decided to hook up the multimeter and test it. Result? Fail! I had crossed some wires somewhere as I was not getting continuity readings between the pin and the engine sensor. The wire I chose to test was the 5V connection that the R1 ECU sends out to the various sensors in the engine bay. The wires keep splitting and splitting again to reach all the sensors. Deciding where to join/merge/split the wires is a real pain and required a lot of planning. I was so careful and now that I had almost all of the heatshrink and connector boots in place, this was not the time to find a major mistake. Thankfully it turned out to be an easy fix. I had swapped a couple of pins on a sub-harness connector the day before and hadn't caught it until now. Once I corrected that the 5V connections all checked out and the remaining 34 wires then installed without a hitch.

IMG_2065.jpg

Finally! Here is the connector all wired up. I will seal everything up and heatshrink the boots down once I'm done testing the entire electrical system. Testing should start any day now.

IMG_2067.jpg

Edited by Joe250, 04 June 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#292 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Wow!! Great work sorting out all that spaghetti as it looks pretty daunting to me!

#293 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

Starting to get really close now - looks really neat and professional.

#294 Rickie

Rickie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hi Joe,
I stumbled across your build looking around at projects on the net looking for ideas for when I finally get around to sorting my 1980 clubman (I've only had it 18 years!).
I have been reading your progress and just joined the forum so I could say like many others have, you are doing an amazing job! You really have some skills and the mini is going to be phenomenal, if my mini ever ends up 10% as good as yours I will be over the moon!
Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see it completed :)

Rickie

#295 Dylanscar

Dylanscar

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

Hi Joe,

Amazing build and hoping to take you back a while and ask about your general heat protection?

I'm still reading and planning my steps so that I have a clear set goal for when I start fully. I dont want to rush into something into something and then have to rework areas. One issue that concerns me is the general heat over here in Dubai where the temperatures go through the roof, similar to yours in California and I was so glad to read that you have touched on several points that I have been struggling to find answers for. 

If you don't mind could you give me your views and help?

I see that you have used Lizardskin, did you use both the sound and ceramic coatings and did you use just on the interior and stone chip exterior?? Temperatures here top 120 degrees and, whilst not planning on using everyday, would still love to enjoy the car. If you had to pick an alternative matting which would you suggest as I could struggle to import it over here. 

I have looked at DEI from your posts and think I will follow suit (if you don't mind?) in the engine bay and for the fuel lines/ exhaust tunnel. Did you also protect the brake lines and in fact every cable or are there specific ones only that you would do? Your loom for example when connecting to the battery through the roof, are you looking to protect that or will the Lizardskin be adequate?

Moving to the rear I was thinking of wrapping the battery and then thinking about maybe using some additional heat protection film on the fuel tank itself or would this be overkill? I was also looking at using the heater matrix as a second radiator in addition to a smaller mechanical pump pulley and an electrical fan for the radiator. Again you have no need of these with your set up but your opinion would be appreciated

Sorry to bombard you with questions and please keep posting and cant wait to see it finished

Thanks

Jon

#296 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Jon,

Yes, heat is an issue here in Los Angeles, especially in a car with no A/C. The first thing I did was insist that whatever paint scheme I went with on the car it would involve a white roof. It won't make it cold inside but every bit helps. The next thing was having the entire interior and boot sprayed with Lizard Skin. There are two types - one is meant to deaden sound, the other to help insulate the car/deflect heat. I had my painter use both. (The underside and inner fenders were sprayed with 3M Body Schutz by the way.) It really deadens the sound inside the car. I've ridden in race cars that had no sound deadening or carpeting and it is unpleasantly loud. I didn't want that for a car I will drive on the street. The additional heat insulation was welcome too.

I also had the exhaust system ceramic coated to help prevent the transfer of heat into the central tunnel. Then I added the DEI heat barrier. Combined I think they should make a good bit of difference. Time will tell.

That is as far as I went. I don't plan on commuting in heavy LA traffic in the middle of summer so I think I'll be ok. The windows will probably be permanently open though. If you want to go further with your car you could add some Dynamat (or equivalent) throughout the car, add some kind of barrier to the engine side of the firewall, or spray Lizard Skin on the underside of the car in addition to the interior. Don't forget the windows. A dark tint and/or one that blocks UV should help a bit. All that said, there is a finite limit on what you are going to accomplish. If it is 100F outside, it isn't going to be 70F inside your car. So much of the heat will be coming through your windows and off the engine, radiator, and exhaust that you can't escape it all. Park in the shade and try to avoid driving during the hottest hours.

One note on the Lizard Skin. It is not meant to server as an exposed layer. It won't take too much abuse. Check their website but I believe they recommend painting over it or covering it with carpet. Mine was exposed in the boot and I saw how quickly it was getting chipped and scratched. I covered it in 3M Body Schutz and it turned out well. I should have done the same thing throughout the interior but I had already installed so many things that I didn't want to backtrack. I may go back and do it at a later date.

What would be the benefit of wrapping the battery? With what, exactly?

My thinking on the wiring was that anything directly exposed the elements (like the headlight & turn signal wires in the wheel wells) or that was exposed to the heat of the engine bay should be protected with a layer of good heat shrink. I went with Raychem DR-25 as it came recommended from a number of sources. Other types will work fine. Be sure to check the specs before you decide though. Anything running past hot equipment (exhaust headers, etc.) was run through some type of heat barrier (like the DEI heat sleeve).

No, I didn't insulate any of the brake lines nor the fuel tanks. In fact I don't think I've ever seen that done. Again, follow reasonable criteria and do what you think best. There are no set rules on many of these issues. Look at what OEM's do. Look at race cars. Look through all the product catalogs you can get your hands on then think it through and make the best decision you can. If something doesn't work out, remove it and move on.

Best of luck with your build. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Amazing build and hoping to take you back a while and ask about your general heat protection?

I'm still reading and planning my steps so that I have a clear set goal for when I start fully. I dont want to rush into something into something and then have to rework areas. One issue that concerns me is the general heat over here in Dubai where the temperatures go through the roof, similar to yours in California and I was so glad to read that you have touched on several points that I have been struggling to find answers for. 

If you don't mind could you give me your views and help?

I see that you have used Lizardskin, did you use both the sound and ceramic coatings and did you use just on the interior and stone chip exterior?? Temperatures here top 120 degrees and, whilst not planning on using everyday, would still love to enjoy the car. If you had to pick an alternative matting which would you suggest as I could struggle to import it over here. 

I have looked at DEI from your posts and think I will follow suit (if you don't mind?) in the engine bay and for the fuel lines/ exhaust tunnel. Did you also protect the brake lines and in fact every cable or are there specific ones only that you would do? Your loom for example when connecting to the battery through the roof, are you looking to protect that or will the Lizardskin be adequate?

Moving to the rear I was thinking of wrapping the battery and then thinking about maybe using some additional heat protection film on the fuel tank itself or would this be overkill? I was also looking at using the heater matrix as a second radiator in addition to a smaller mechanical pump pulley and an electrical fan for the radiator. Again you have no need of these with your set up but your opinion would be appreciated

Sorry to bombard you with questions and please keep posting and cant wait to see it finished

Thanks

Jon

#297 Dylanscar

Dylanscar

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have contacted Lizardskin and also Jegs (who also have a great fundraising cause which is close to me) asking if they can ship the product overseas and needing to calculate the areas so I can get an idea of quantity. Out of interest how much did you use as I see the thicknesses for each coat are different. I am going to try and measure up tonight but obviously if you already know that would be a great help for both Lizardskin and 3M.

Lizardskin  comes in the 2 gallon drums, is that enough of each coat and why the 3M on the outside? Due to durability and then could you coat over it with body shell colour as I see its rubberised which should be a No.

Tinting of the windows is the norm over here and will see to what extent when I've finished, the battery and fuel tank was just me whittling on regarding the heat build up and maybe cooking the battery, hence a thermal blanket to give a bit of protection?

Fuel lines and brake fluid was again just thinking out loud. The last thing I want is to not look at something that later on I regret. A few Minis are on the road over here and I know the hotter months they are not taken out but hoping to do that on the odd occasion.

The links to DEI and Raychem are great and given me some better understanding of possibly what to do. One issue we do have here is extremely high humidity so changing the connectors on the loom might also give me a bit more piece of mind.

Last thing I want is to have a problem in the middle of the desert for whatever reason.

Again thanks for help and if it is okay might come back with some more questions?

Jon

#298 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I don't know how much product was used on my car. The painter handled that. Definitely check with the manufacturers but also search some of the car forums out there. You can see how much others needed. Err on the high side. Nothing worse than running out of product part-way thru.

I was in Thailand recently and was shocked to see how far they go to deal with the sun. A friend's new Mercedes had a dark tint applied to their windshield. When you stood in front of the car you absolutely could not see inside the car, even in direct sunlight. During the day you could see out just fine but at night....

#299 Dylanscar

Dylanscar

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

Hi Joe,

Will calculate later and then see if I can get it shipped here. Thanks so much for your help

On the  comment of tinting, I know what you mean. For most its a maximum of 30% but for others..... 

http://gulfnews.com/...windows-1.86446

#300 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:01 AM

Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of when I purchased the Mini. The good news is that I was able to start the engine over this past weekend and I was able to drive the car on a very brief run just up and down my street. I apologize that I don't have photos or video of it. Without even realizing it I focused more on completing the car than documenting the build. I will try to remedy that for the duration of the build.

During the last installment I was just completing the car's wiring. It needs some cleaning up but it is all functional at this point. Of course it didn't start out that way. During the initial testing numerous circuits refused to work, blew fuses constantly, or acted in strange and unexpected ways. Many hours tracing wires and thinking through the results from my multi-tester finally got everything sorted.

IMG_2071.jpg
With the electrics finally out of the way it was time to focus on the brake system. When I moved the brake light indicator switch next to the rear proportioning valve some time back fluid leaked from a few locations. On the advice of a TMF'er I took everything apart and applied machinist's dye (aka marking blue) to all the threads and fittings's faces. I reassembled then disassembled everything but found no irregularities. Everything appeared to have been machined properly and the AN fittings were making proper contact. I swapped in a different adapter and re-arranged a couple items.

IMG_2072.jpg
End result? No leaks. Finally! Thanks to BUNYIP.  :highfive:

IMG_2073.jpg
The next part proved quite frustrating. I still needed a source of engine oil to feed the oil pressure and oil temperature gauge's sending units. I had already drilled and tapped a new R1 heat exchanger bolt but now I had to install it.

IMG_2074.jpg
There was almost but not quite enough access to swap out the existing bolt for the new one. I didn't want to remove the engine if I didn't have to. I just needed the engine raised up about one inch. If I just unbolted the six engine mount bolts and jacked the engine up from underneath it should work. Those bolts took me an entire afternoon. They are a pain on a Mini with the standard A-series engine, so I'm told, but they are nearly impossible to access in my car. Thankfully once removed the installation of the new bolt went smoothly. When done I topped up the engine with fresh oil.

IMG_2074a.jpg
The oil take-off in place. No leaks, either!

IMG_2075.jpg
Now time to move on to the fuel system. The insides of the fuel tanks were finally clean and relatively rust free inside so I installed the fuel pump into the LH tank, hooked up all the connections and turned on the ignition.

IMG_2076.jpg
The fuel pump whirred to life, read 40psi at the gauge and showed no leaks anywhere in the system. I will add the RH tank in the near future. Too many other things to do at the moment.

IMG_2084.jpg
I installed the radiator and hooked up all the lines. I filled and bled the system, again with no fluid leaks showing.

It was finally time to start the engine. It had been just over four years since the last time the engine ran. Good old Yamaha. She started right up (as soon as my friend helped me diagnose a wiring problem). Now what would it take to actually drive this darn thing?

IMG_2271.jpg
The answer was 'several things' but the biggest item left was filling and bleeding the hydraulic clutch system. The slave cylinder I installed underneath the engine (the photo above was from several years ago but gives you the idea) was time-consuming to bleed due to space constraints. (Sound familiar?) Once the system was filled with fluid and all the air was gone the pedal was rock solid. Great! No one likes a mushy pedal. Except it was so solid that it wouldn't move. At all. I'd been through this once before when I installed the clutch actuator shaft incorrectly but I now knew that wasn't the problem.

I removed the slave cylinder from the car and found that it would not contract. This ruled out a problem with the R1 clutch release mechanism and got me focused on the slave cylinder. I drained the fluid out of the cylinder and found that it still wouldn't move. Strange. As I began to unscrew the rear mounting bolt it became immediately clear why there was no movement - I had screwed the bolt so far into the cylinder body that it was resting up against the back of the piston. Whoops.

I suppose the amount that the bolt is screwed in can be used to act as a stop. Obviously I hadn't picked up on this when I first installed the system. Last year when I went back to permanently mount the rear attachment bracket onto the front subframe I changed the mounting location and screwed the bolt all the way in. Some careful measurements and a hacksaw sorted this problem out. Reinstallation was another story. In fact it was a nightmare. I finally had to call in help as it required one person under the car operating an allen wrench while another operated a socket from above.

IMG_2087.jpg
Now all that needed doing was tightening up the front wheel hubs (giving me a chance to finally use this handly little tool), tighen all the lug nuts, and set the tire pressures. The car started right up and away I went. As good as it felt to finally drive the car again all I could focus on was the work that remained. All four wheels were pointed in different directions, the steering wheel didn't point staight ahead, and the clutch pedal was very binary - completely down or completely up. The worst and funniest part is that four years ago I discovered afterwards that I had test driven the car with the transmission in second gear. I knew not to make that mistake this time but I got my shift lever directions mixed up and drove in second gear again. Someday I might get to see what this car really drives like in first. Not this day.

IMG_2100.jpg
The next goal for this project is to get the car ready to be registered and licensed for the street. After that I will do the final trim work and fine tuning. I began this new phase by aligning the car. This is something I have never done myself but I wanted to learn how the process works. The coilover suspension allows for adjusting the amount of preload at each wheel individually. This allows the car to be corner-weighted, meaning the car is placed onto four scales and the percentage of weight at each corner can be adjusted within a limited range. The advantage of this is to make handling response as optimised and consistent as possible when turning left as well as right.

Due to the specialized equipment and expertise involved in corner weighting and aligning the suspension, both are usually best to left to professionals. This work is expensive but if done once it can be justified. My car has so many variables that I need to sort through, each one affecting the other, I will need to corner weight and align the car multiple times. Here are the variables:

-Corner weighting
-Suspension ride height, front and rear
-Spring rates front and rear
-Antiroll bar adjustments, front and rear
-Front suspension alignment (toe, caster, and camber)
-Rear suspension alignment (toe and camber)
and to a lesser extend tire pressures, tire type, and any significant weight changes to the car.

Making a change to any one of these has knock-on effects for all the others. This means I will be performing a number of corner weighting and alignments to the car. It made sense to me to purchase the equipment and learn how to do it myself. Time will tell if this was a good decision.

IMG_2101.jpg
As you saw in the photo above I have four scales and four blue scale levelers. For accuracy the scales must all be level in relation to one another. My garage floor is far from level so after laying out the scales in position I used a laser leveler to make adjustments.

laser.jpg
"Laser"

IMG_2102.jpg
The Mini is still missing some parts but her current weight came out to 1310 lbs. That makes me sad. A stock Mk1 Mini was supposedly right at 1300 lbs. The rollcage and Recaro seats have added a significant amount of weight and my overbuilt steering column hasn't helped either. The R1 engine/transmission has offset some of this since the original A-series motors aren't terribly light. That said, I think the stiffness that the roll cage adds more than justifies the weight penalty and I can always drop a quick 35-40lbs by changing seats and mounts. Fiberglass and/or carbon fiber body panels were always an option if I wanted to minimize weight but like the rollcage, other priorities took precedence. To put it in perspective, a new MINI weighs 2,605 lbs. Now I don't feel quite so bad.

IMG_2105.jpg
On with the alignment. I began by centering the steering rack, centering the steering wheel onto the steering column, and then locking the entire system into the straight-ahead position with this handly tool.

IMG_2117.jpg
I then replaced the wheels and tires with these devices called hub stands. The first benefit of using these is increased accuracy. Tires introduce a level of compliance and inconsistency when performing an alignment, so removing them from the equation should improve things a fair bit. The other benefit is that normally the wheels and tires would need to be removed and replaced in-between every adjustment made to the car. These stands allow easy access to all the various adjustment points. This should be a massive time saver.

IMG_2118.jpg
Here is one up-close. The long aluminum bars are used to serve as a datum to take various measurements off of.

IMG_2119.jpg
Here I've started mounting the alignment system. The concept is relatively simple - run two strings down the sides of the car that are at the same level as the wheel centers. They must be parallel with each other and with the centerlline of the car, as well as equidistant from the centerline of the car. The toe of all four wheels can be set by measuring it against the strings. I will then use some other tools to measure caster, camber, and bump steer.

Of course, the idea is simple but the accuracy of the work comes down to the implementation. Misunderstanding readings, taking sloppy readings, or setting the equipment up improperly will all yield poor results.

IMG_2120.jpg
My father is a fly fisherman. I'm sure he will approve of the string included with the kit.

IMG_2121.jpg
I'm still getting everything setup but liking the equipment so far. More updates soon.

Edited by Joe250, 25 June 2014 - 04:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users