#1 danxnorman

danxnorman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: Canterbury Mini Club, NZ

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:55 AM

My wife is interested in the possibility of putting a Mini body onto a Suzuki SJ410 or 413 4x4 chassis to create a Mini Monster truck. I'm sure we've seen photos of such conversions in MiniWorld magazine but I can't find any info on the net. Anyone come across anything like this? We're currently restoring her 1985 Mini City converted to 1275, bucket seats, harnesses and 13" rims to get it registered here in New Zealand. There is so much off roading here, the Mini/Suzuki 4x4 would be a cool next project... Cheers! Dan and Holly

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:48 AM

Think you'll find a conversion like you mention will be pretty much all Suzuki with the bodywork just a cosmetic part of the build.

You would really need to start with a Suzuki rolling chassis and pretty much plonk the mini shell (no subframes or engine) on top and see what extra mountings need to be made.
I suspect you would have to fabricate some sort of framework to sit on top of the suzuki chassis to mount the mini bodywork to.
The body would need to sit fairly high to allow for extra size of the wheels.

I've built a Rangerover / early Landrover hybrid and the principles the same weld bits on where needed to mount to the different bodywork.

#3 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

Yea as said above the mini just sits on top of the SJ chassis, and uses the SJ engine, etc...

Hers a few pics from one that was on ebay a while back:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

If you go on A-serious.com there is someone building a sj chassis base, with a saloon mini on top.

At one point i was planning on doing a similar conversion using a saloon shell, maby in the future i will get round to it, thinking about it my mate has a SJ chassis with a re top lump in it :thumbsup:

Edited by Tomf, 23 July 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#4 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

Meet Ian. A Suzuki converted clubman estate.

Posted Image

#5 danxnorman

danxnorman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: Canterbury Mini Club, NZ

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:46 AM

Very cool! Thanks guys! Minislapper, not sure how to find your gallery, would love to see more pics of the silver 4x4 Clubman!
Cheers, Dan and Holly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users