6 replies to this topic

#1 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:03 AM

ok, I have a few problems this time, Thought it would be better to put them all in one post to save space.

1) I need to replace the rear valance and boot hinge panel, how do you remove the rear valence?. Its a bit rusty at the moment, so its not clear to see (and I havent looked) but, do I just have to drill out the old welds, or is it more complicated

2) How do you get the boot hinge repair panel in the right place, so that the boot closes properly?

3) I think my engine mounts need replacing. If im not REALLY carefull there is a knocking when pressing the accelerator, it also does it if you have a few revs on and let go of the pedal quickly. How do I check these? and roughly how much will a new set cost? Also, im hoping these can be done by myself??? As I have no money whatsoever at the minute.

Thanks a lot everyone

pEaCE
Dom

#2 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:30 AM

Hey Dom as for engine mounts I don't think that they are that expensive but then again I live in Canada... As far as the boot hinge repair panel goes I can offer you some advice in this subject. I am doing the same thing at this moment so I have a few Idseas. When fitting the boot hinge repair panel bolt the hinges and boot lid to the panel before you clamp it into place and then you can line it all up as one piece... I have already done a few test fits like this and it went quite smoothly. Once you get it in the desired position just clamp the hinge panel to the floor ar hold it there with bolts through those holes that are already there and then go about welding it on. Hope this helps, if you got more questions onthe body work aspect of things give me a shout and I'd be glad to help ya. I should be done fitting my rear end back together in a couple weekends so I'll continue to post the progress in the projects folder.

Al

#3 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:23 AM

Thanks a lot Al, Ill give that a try when my panels arrive,
Anyone have any advice on the engine mounts?
thanks a lot,
pEaCE
Dom

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:34 PM

You can get engine mounts with the nuts built-in , they are easier to fit :grin:

#5 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:03 PM

Thanks woody, ill see if I can find some of those tommorow. This looks like its going to be a lot bigger job than I thought, I thought id just take the bolts out, jack up the engine a bit and swap them over. But its all so compact, aaagh, Oh well, it will be an experience.
Are the torque settings quite important, or will it be ok just to do it as tight as I can ?
pEaCE
Dom

#6 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:14 PM

first of all if you have knocking on accelaration. lift bonnet , remove airfilter, and use the cam on the carb to rev engine, try to locate the noise top or bottom end of engine? top end, try top engine mount from head to just below master cylinders..
bottom end at front bottom engine mount.. i had problem with the mounting for my bottom engine mount it had snapped in 3 pieces so i had to weld a thick washer in its place, try these if not look at sub frame mounings and bushes, all are cheap and easy to fit if you know a bit about mechanics.....

#7 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:58 PM

thanks a lot cowboy, Ill give that a go tommorow ,
thanks again,
pEaCE
Dom

0 user(s) are reading this topic