40 replies to this topic

#1 JL Docherty

JL Docherty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:08 PM

My front wings and A panels have enough rust on them to need replacing but ive heard that doing these two together is a fustrating job to do your self. So i could consider getting a garage to do it or would it be easyier to buy a fibreglass flip front nose and fit that myself or get some1 to do it for me. I am not sure which to pick and it all comes down to time money and effort which iam lacking in all areas.

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:10 PM

u wont get such a flush fit with a fibreglass jobby, y not look around to see if u can get a good second hand steal flip front and buy the conversion brackets?

#3 JL Docherty

JL Docherty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:26 PM

would there be much difference in price.

#4 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:29 PM

if u got a second hand or made it urself i dont think there would.

#5 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:00 PM

i replaced the entire front end on my mini and if you want i can post pics if that would be helpful...I didn't find it too frustrating. you just gotta be patient.

Al

#6 JL Docherty

JL Docherty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:42 PM

yeah that would be great mate you can email them to me or put them in this thread for others to c. cheers. :grin:

#7 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:06 PM

alright here goes nothin' lets kick it off with a pic of the front end before.

Al

Attached Files

#8 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:09 PM

Alright here is a picture of it after I had cut off the a panels and the wings (fenders) I just used a cut off wheel on the angle grinder cause i don't have a torch...yet. If you really wanted to you could drill out all of the welds but that would take a long time so I didn't.

Al

Attached Files

#9 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

here she is with the front valence off...it's really quite simple to get off just take of the tow hooks and drill/cut (whichever you want to do) the two pieces that hold it to the inner fender wall.

Al

Attached Files

#10 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:14 PM

Alright here is a test fit of the left side...It is a good idea to put the door back on when fitting the a panel so you get the right size gap and you don't bugger anything up too badly. :wink: I just clamped it all ion place with a bunch of vice grips. Oh and don't get frustrated at the fit of the wing...It may look like it won't fit but just start in one place ie: start by clamping it to the valence and then work your way up the inner fender wall lip then clamp to the a panel. And i can't stress this enough, take your time when fitting it and be patient.

Al

Attached Files

#11 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:16 PM

Alright here it is with the left side assembled...quite simple once it is already in place just pull out the trusty air drill and drill through all the seams and fill them with welds...unless you can get a spot welder :cheese: I drilled holes about every 1/2" to 3/4" probally overkill but better more than less right?

Al

Attached Files

#12 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:19 PM

Ok here it is with both sides done...another thing you gotta do when fitting the fenders is put the hood on to get the right fit with that too. But yah for the right side it was the exact same process as the left. Well I hope this helps and I am also doing this step by step thing in the projects folder about the boot floor as I fix it.

Al

Attached Files

#13 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:10 PM

hey there, mine needs exactly the same amount of work on it. I am tempted with a glassfibre flip, you can get all the pieces needed like brace bars and hinges from minispeed (www.minispeed.co.uk). However, they dont fit well, so i think i might have a full metal flip front, it`ll still rust eventually, but it will generally look aesthetically better. The shut lines will be much much better.

#14 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:13 PM

Al* could we use this as an online tutorial?

#15 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 03:14 AM

Sure Brawlyox if you want to. :grin:

Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users