3 replies to this topic

#1 JL Docherty

JL Docherty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:09 PM

With my brakes they need need pumping a few times before they become effective. So could they just need bleeding ( if so how cam i do this ) or could be a bit more serious.

#2 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:40 PM

More than likely just need to bleed your brakes but it could also be a leak off of the master cylinder that could definitely cause a problem...but hey nothing to do but try. So yeah I'd say bleed the brakes and if that doesn't work check for leaks.

Al

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:29 PM

You may also need to adjust the brakes (drums) this problem is made worse if you have drums all round , or your pads may be worn out (disks) , these things need more fluid (at the slave end) and so you need to pump (the master) to get it there.
While you are bleeding the system you should replace the fluid if it hasent been replaced recently as fluid goes off , the easiest way to do this is with the type of brake bleeder you plug into the spare wheel (made by Gunsons i think) available from Halfords and well worth the 14 or 15 pounds .

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:06 PM

problem with brakes pumping up, then first thing to check is rear wheel cylinders, remove your drums, and peel back the rubber of your cylinders, if they are damp in any way then they need to be replaced imediatlly, PS dont drive the car unless this has been done, dont want to do youself an accident....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users