8 replies to this topic

#1 Flyby

Flyby

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

Just looking to fit a Temp Gauge as I dony have one at the moment, Mini Spares are offering two cheap ones mae by TIM. There are two types, capillary and electrical. Was just wondering what the difference between the two is, are they easy to fit (instructions supplied?) and are all the parts there (pipes etc?)

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:28 PM

Capillary tube gauges are more delicate but considered by some to be more accurate. Electrical gauges are easy to install, generally less expensive, and accurate enough.

The capillary gauge is really a pressure gauge that measures the expansion pressure of a volatile fluid (methylene chloride?) in a bulb that screws into the cylinder head. The capillary is a very delicate, thin bore tube connecting the bulb to the gauge. It is easily damaged, rendering the gauge useless. They cost too much to repair. Electrical gauges work by having an element that changes resistance as it heats up. That "sender" screws into the cylinder head in the same location as the expansion bulb does on a capillary gauge.

Routing the wire from an electrical gauge is much easier than routing a capillary tube. With the electrical gauge you also have to run power (full +12v... not 10v from the stabilizer) and ground wires to the gauge itself... so wiring is a little more complicated. However, I really have no preference for one type over the other.

#3 Flyby

Flyby

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:33 PM

Cheers, sounds like the electrical may be the way forward then, plus its 5 shillings cheaper!!

Do you know if the gauges come with everything needed or do these have to be sourced?

Dan.

#4 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:58 AM

these are the clocks i have just fitted into my dash! heres some pics

Attached Files

#5 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:59 AM

heres another, i think there great!, and with a little wire know how can be fitted in no time!

#6 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:59 AM

heres another, i think there great!, and with a little wire know how can be fitted in no time!

Attached Files

#7 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:01 AM

the one problem we did have, was that you get some adapter for differant heads, but the one for the mini head isnt in there, so we had to buy one from mini sport, and we also brought the adapter for the oil psi gauge so we get the gauge and a little light!

Attached Files

#8 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

You'll need to check with the gauge supplier about an adapter for the Mini cylinder head. The capillary bulb gauges are usually made with a ferule to fit a specific application, the electrical gauges commonly need an adapter bushing. The cylinder head "port" is tapped 5/8-18. Compare that to the threads on the sending unit and what's supplied with the gauge/sender to know what else you need to buy.

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

If you buy a smiths gauge (electrical) then you can use the sender that's already in your cylinder head :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users