12 replies to this topic

#1 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

Hi I've got a 1275cc engine that i think the big ends have gone, i could have a 998cc block and gearbox, will the head from the 1275 fit straight on and what possible mods would i have to do, Also where do most people go for parts like oil pump, gaskets and piston rings.

Cheers

Karl

#2 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

for the 1275 head to go on the 998 block, the block would have to be pocketed to allow clearance for the valves. For pumps and gaskets etc, minispares are excellent quality and use genuine parts where they can, but other places are cheaper

#3 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

Cheers

sounds like it easier to fit a 998 engine complete,

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

Or just sort the 1275. Big ends aren't too hard to do.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

** Copied in from the other thread which has now been removed **

The 1275 head will most likely need a 998 block to be pocketed otherwise the valve are likely to be having lunch with the block..

Why dont you just replace the big ends in the 1275, it's not like it's a big job and not tha expensive either, 25 quid should see you right for some decent wuality ones.

Piston rings are available for most pistons, but it's getting to the point where it's just as cheap to buy a whole new set of pistons.

As for the other engine components, any of the major mini suplies have vast stocks ( reputedly  :cheese: ) os these items, so can be obtained for very few groats.

Edited by GuessWorks, 27 June 2005 - 07:02 AM.

#6 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:09 PM

Its got that bad that i think something really bad went wrong go forward about 5-6 feet and it stops

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:02 AM

What the engine or the complete car, there may be other issues, if the engine will idle with good oil pressure, then it's unlikely that the big ends are going to be that worn to seize the engine.

If it's movement related, it's more likely to be gearbox or drive related

#8 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

The car has been off the road for about 6 months now, it all started on the way back from notts, the oil px light came on and water temp rose, i stopped to check the oil and it was fine as was the water, went on my way and the light came back on and would only go out with high revs, made it back home and changed the oil, the mag plug was a mess and the oil looked metallic. I decided the engine was on it way out so continued to get my moneys worth and drive it to work every day (2miles each way) the engine sounded very raspy,tappy and vibrated a lot, then one lunch time i reversed the car out the parking space and went forward in 1st, it was like something had dropped into the gearbox and locked the front wheels. the engine still runs but will only drive a few feet. My initail thoughts on the first problem was either oil pump or big ends being the problem of low oil px but now i'm not sure whats gone wrong, I would ideally like to stick a 998cc in as my 17 old bro would struggle to get insured on a 1275 he's looking at £1600 just for this one !!!!

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

Sounds to me like you've really done it some damage. What could have been a relatively easy fix if you hadn't tried to drive on it has turned it a disaster. I wouldn't rely on being able to rescue a single part out of it if it were me.

We could start a sweep on what you'll find when you look inside. I reckon it started with a shattered oil pump anulus and ended up with possibly a holed piston.

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:04 AM

I say damage to the crank as well.

#11 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:57 PM

Got hold of a 998 now so just for you guys, i'll strip it down to find out what happened any more guesses?

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:11 PM

I'd put money on a block filter causing it to be bypassed, mains bearings shot and the lock of the box is probably the main double roller failing...

The actual root cause could have been as simple as the oil filter needing replacing.

but, in a lighter note, the A series is a fairly indestructable beast and most bits can be replaced, it's only when bits start shooting through the block or gearbox casing you need realy be worried...

#13 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

i have blown an engine in this way before...and im only 18...

turned out when i looked at her that when no4 cyl got to TDC it dropped 3 inches, the big end went big styleee, although the gearbox was salvaged and is now in my new engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users