#1 captain chaos

captain chaos

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

Hi all,

I'm here as a complete newbie to this mini lark and as a contributor to the Caterham club forum (Blatchat) I know how usefull and friendly these forums can be.

I'm about to buy a mini and carry out some restoration with my son who will inherit the car when he gets his license next year. Over the next 12 months we will restore the car together so he knows everything about maintaining it and I'll know that the car has been well prep'd and is Ok for him to drive.

I might aswell put my first question here if you don't mind...
The car I've spotted locally is an 1100 silver special (80/V). I'm not too concerned about the condition because it is going to be stripped and sorted I'm but more interested in lightly tuning the car for a few extra bhp.
I take it the 1100 is just a stroked 998 but when I look at the stage one packages and/or parts for sale in the mags, they all either quote 998 or 1275+.
I appreciate a longer stroke will usually inhibit revs, but extra cc usually gives a bit better torque and I'm not looking for a highly tuned motor. Does the 998 stuff just bolt on or am i starting with the wrong engine??

Many thanks.

#2 BabyBek

BabyBek

I love sheepies

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Local Club: TMF and South Wales Minis

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:25 PM

Hello and welcome!!

I'm affraid I'm know nadda bout technical stuff, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can answer u!!

Enjoy the site.

Beck x

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

Hey, welcome to the playpen!

The 1100 has larger bores than the 998, but I think its still considered a small bore engine, so if you got a small bore Stage 1 kit it should fit on fine. If your really unsure, when you ring up to order, they'll ask what size engine its going on anyway! I think the 1100 has a longer stroke than the 998 as well, which makes it quite a square engine, and so I belive this makes for a smoother running engine as well.

All in all you should get a bit more power than a 998 but without the insurance premium of a 1275 (thinking about when its transfered to your son).

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

hello and welcome

will your son realy get the car ? :grin:

#5 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

hello and welcome!! yerrr just like jammy said when you ring up, just specify the engine and they will do the math! :tongue: i wish my dad would buy me my car and help me! i have to save up all on my own! :cry: :D

#6 captain chaos

captain chaos

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for your comments...

Hopefully he appreciates it...as I remember having to do loads of hours in bars and restaurants earning money for my first Mini.

He will get the car as I am lucky to have other motors to drive, but hey, I am still looking forward to getting back into a Mini!

#7 captain chaos

captain chaos

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

PS...do you think i should add the post onto the technical section?

#8 ministox man

ministox man

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

i think you'd be better getting a 998 as in miniworld all the standard the 998s were just leaving the 1098s for dead. Definitely put something up on the technical page as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site (im not trying to suck up!) :smartass:

#9 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

hello and welcome to the mini forum

enjoy the site

#10 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

Hiya welcome! Good choice your son will love it had one for my first car an i'd still want it over anything else on the roads! The best bit is he can make it his own.

#11 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:44 AM

Welcome to the site, if you put your qertions in the tec section that will be best (if you havent already).

When you get the mini if you could keep a record of all the work you do in the projects section that would be ace!

#12 captain chaos

captain chaos

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

OK..plans changed and we are now the VERY proud owners of a Mini Sprite 1275 (were they all 1275?)....sod the insurance! also which Mk have I got...remember i know nothing.
Some panels will need replacing and we're going to give it a complete rebuild.
The engine is quite smokey on start up and less so on running (my guess would be valve guides). Are there some good head recon people in the midlands I could talk to?

Cheers and thanks for all your help now and more so for the future!

#13 tankgirl

tankgirl

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:29 AM

Hello folks

I'm new here too.

:w00t:

My car is being a bit of a b****rd at the moment... despite me lavishing £700 and loads of TLC on it! grrrrrrr

#14 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

Hey tankgirl!

Lovin yr funky paintjob! Think i remember you from L2B 2004!

Whats yr probs then? Sure the knowledgable folks here will help you! :w00t:

Welcome to TMF! :rolleyes:

#15 tankgirl

tankgirl

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:52 AM

Its cutting out...!! And especially on left turns... we think it might be fuel related... it was OK til it went to a certain garage and I'm well miffed!!
Very embarassing to cut out in traffic, at traffic lights, on dual carriageways.. does it when it feels like it and no consistency! :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users