#1 captain chaos

captain chaos

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Mini to restore and lightly tune with my son over the next 18 months which will then become his first car. The idea is that if he helps with the work then he can maintain his own car and I know it's going to be well prep'd and hopefully not let him down....too often :cheese:

The car we've seen locally which seems to fit the bill is an 80/V plate, 1100 special.
I understand that a longer stroke (who'er!) usually inhibits revs for high end tuning purposes but in std form does the larger capacity give extra torque?

Also, reading the various mags all the tuning parts seem to be either for the 998 or the 1275 base motors. Is there something wrong with the 1098 unit or because it's based on the same engine will the bits suit the 1098 just aswell.

we're not looking for a cooking Mini here, but I would like to finish up with something around 65/70 bhp.

I would appreciate some advice and be gentle as I'm new around here!

Thanks

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:45 PM

65/70 from 1098 will be harder and a lot more expensive than sticking in a good condition used Metro 1275 lump, which is extremely easy.

The 1098 engine is effectively a long-stroke 998 (long stroke crank and shorter pistons), the rest is all the same. They're highly unpopular for tuning mainly due to the long stroke which prevents it from revving etc. so its harder to extract BHP figures from them. Standard, as you said, they have a bit more torque.

If the car you found is in good condition, get it, the 1100 special is a limited edition, and is quite a nice one! Does it still have the original alloys? They're unique to this model :D

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

Not quite unique to this model (also fitted to certain German specials and the German Mayfair), but they were designed for it.

It's a very good little engine and a very special car. Make sure the centre console and glovebox and seats are in good condition as they can be hard to track down. Make sure the vinyl roof isn't hiding rot underneath and check the body very carefully as the metallic paint is great at letting rust through. I believe the side decals are still available.

#4 captain chaos

captain chaos

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

I didn't realise this special had any real additional value. My lad and I were looking to change the car a bit and refurb rather than properly restore.

What's the best way to hunt down a decent metro engine then? i'm not in a rush and was fully expecting to rebuild the engine with a bit of upgrading to pep up the performance.

#5 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:48 AM

look in your local trade-it or what ever your free ads paper is called! There are usually loads in there! Alternatively, Buy a metro, that way you know it runs ok before you rip it out!

My first mini was a clubman with and 1100 engine and I had a scream tearing up the streets in it! Very nice engines but not very common these days

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

The 1100 is a great engine, bags of torque and will take to tuning very nicely, you may also be lucky and get one with a 12G202 head which had slightly bigger valves...

If you're looking for a good motor, the specials are getting rare ( mainly due to the fact that they were rusty piles of sh*** ) but they did have very nice trim and lovely 10" wheels, unfortunately drums underneath but it kept well maintaned will serve you well...

#7 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

Ill second all that really, I've a couple of 1098s and they are cracking motors, especially the A+ one (which yours might well be if its an 80/V). Pull from really low down making for effortless driving, or as near as you can get in a mini!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users