21 replies to this topic

#1 Iain Tyrrell

Iain Tyrrell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:04 AM

I have a 1972 K reg mini in my garage, and unfortuanately the bodywork is beyond repair. I also have a 1976 import mini on a 1980 plate, what i would like to do is use the shell and gearbox from the later model to rebuild the old car. My question is this can i keep the old registration plate (tax exempt) or will i have to use the newer plate?

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

Neither, you will have to use a Q plate. The bodyshell is the most important part of a car for determining it's identity. You may not use a second hand shell to reshell a car. You can use a brand new shell but not a used one. To keep a reg you need to use the original or brand new shell and at least one other major component from the list of components. If you put all the components of one car into the shell of another then you have a car with a mixed identity and you have to use a Q plate.

So you have to either repair the shell you have now or keep the '80. Yo could use a heritage shell but it won't be quite the same spec as your '72 so you'll be on slightly dodgy ground, and it won't take the '72 subframes.

Oh and also the shell from the 80 won't be compatibale with the subframes from the 72 either.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:44 AM

And also the dreaded SVA test.....

#4 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:04 AM

wots SVA test mean?

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

Single Vehicle Approval...

It's like an MOT on steriods... If anyone is considering going through this I strongly suggest you pay the 30 od quid for the book which will tell you what you can and can't have...

And this will be in the FAQ shorty.... ( I'm writing it now ! )

Edited by GuessWorks, 28 June 2005 - 11:10 AM.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

Written.... Clicky

#7 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:01 PM

This sort of thing makes me chuckle..especially in the mini mags, where there are very obviously "ringed" cars. like a mini city with a 1965 reg number.......shouldn't the mags take a stance and not include features on these sorts of cars? or even inform the dvla? what does everyone think, especially as they usually include the full spec, and name the donor vehicle

#8 Iain Tyrrell

Iain Tyrrell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

Could I use the 998 engine in the later car and still keep the 80 plate then?

#9 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:54 AM

whilst what has been said above is the proper legal way to do things, i'd say most people just swap the shells over and the chassis plates, and nobody is any the wiser!

#10 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:07 AM

yeh i know of many minis like this some are obvious others arnt... though iv never know anyone been pulled for it

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

shouldn't the mags take a stance and not include features on these sorts of cars?

I actually wrote to Mini World a couple of Months ago and got absolutely no reply...

Hi,

In recent months on many forums, and within your magazine, I have seen mention of the "Reshelling" of minis. Normally this takes the form of discarding a rot ridden shell, and replacing it with a brand new shell, but it seems to be more common than not that a second hand shell  of less severe rust is used, but still retaining the original identity of the first vehicle.

I think it would be prudent of a magazine of your standing and circulation to run an article on this subject, and especially highlighting that this practice should be frowned upon, and it technically illegal ( aka ringing )

Quoted from DVLA guidance on rebuilt vehicles. http://www.dvla.gov....es/regrebil.htm

"If a second-hand chassis/monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a ESVA/SVA test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated."

I'm not against the preservation on the Mini Marque, quite the opposite, but I feel that the history is being tainted by Frankensteined vehicles pretending to be something they are not.

Regards,
John.

And until the vehicle is involved in an accident and the police take a special interest in the fac that the etched VIN number is different to the VIN plate and/or has been ground off or replaced...

A new shell will not have an etched VIN number...

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

Could I use the 998 engine in the later car and still keep the 80 plate then?

Ohh.. sorry back to original question...

The 998 from your 72 can be used in ANY vehicle, and if you can prove that the engine is a 1972, any car it is in will be exempted from the emissions test... bonus !

#13 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

What happens if you change the scuttle panel? This is the only place where the vin number is stamped (on a mk3). I know someone with the worlds biggest set of letter and number stamps who can replicate a stamped chassis number. I dont want to cause an argument but its very easy to replicate a shell with the original chassis number.

I sold a restored shell not so long ago which had the scuttle panel replaced but I know for a fact that it wont be registered as the car I sold but does it really matter as long as its from the same mark?

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:43 PM

Rob, it matters, it's the law. If you feel like breaking the law then that's up to you but this site does not advise anyone to do that ever.

You can replicate numbers if you like but if you ever get found out then it's your fault. If they suspect the shell isn't origninal they will ask for proof that it is or is brand new. If you don't have the proof then you're in trouble. And uninsured. I have said this before but if you go out and kill someone on the road then your insurance company are going to find any way they can to get out of paying. Insurance mechanics are very good and know their stuff. If they find out your car's a ringer then you are paying the mortgage of the guy you killed for the rest of your life, 'because they won't.

#15 Rob

Rob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

I do see the point of this law and i'm not saying break it because it is important.

Its got me thinking about the stamped number on the scuttle. Mine is due for replacement (just like the one i've sold) so what would happen if I crashed, had my car inspected and then the insurance company couldn't prove that its the original shell? (which it is original)

I dare say there is alot of mini's on this forum that can't be garanteed to be original!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users