14 replies to this topic

#1 nathy_t

nathy_t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:25 PM

this might sound stupid! but i need a new exhaust as i still have the standard pea shooter! can i fit any exhaust to my 998 engine i dont want a whole new exhaust system the back box to give it a nice loud sound!
i quite fancy the playmini twin exhaust will theis be ok?
i want something which looks nice and big with a nice loud deep sound any suggestions?

#2 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:43 AM

hi,

adding just a backbox to the origional system will be a nightmare, trying to bring the 1" pipe up to meet the size of the backbox, or the other way around. and you probarbly wont get much of an increase in sound anyway!,

the cheapest way of beefing it up' is a playmini "majik pipe", this allows you to keep the standard cast iron manifold, and you use the majic pipe, then a link pipe then a backbox, however this will probarbly not do too much either, manifolding is the main area there power and noise can be altered, so rather than chop and hack about with different pipes, save up and get a complete stage 1 kit, stainless if you can wait long enough, that way you get a carb spring and needle too, saves a day on the dyno getting the carb jetted to match the exhaust system. I've recently put a 2" straight thru cherry bomb pipe on, ive lost mega power and cant hear a thing whilst driving, its annoying, and the neighbours hate me going to work at 6am! the stage 1 kit sounds miles better over standard, and sounds somehow 'stealthly powerful' if that makes sence.....

GO BUY ONE ITS EASY!!!

Richie

(all the above is what i think and have learnt, everyone has their own opinion on exhausts etc)

#3 nathy_t

nathy_t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 12:30 PM

thanks for the info

#4 nathy_t

nathy_t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:14 PM

sorry to come back to this, should i buy a stage 1 kit with a 2" back box then or can i put a larger one on?

#5 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:06 PM

For a 998 you want a 1 3/4" system at the most, or you will be losing power in a big way.

If its just the back box your after, Sportex do a good range that fit the standard fit on your normal pipe, all you need to do is cut the original box off and clamp the new one on. And they are cheap too!

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:15 PM

Minijohn does a Stage 1 kit for very cheap (around 140 pounds including VAT I think).

He's a really nice guy and will stand by his product, so expect excellent service!

www.minijohn.com

Tell him I sent you!

And yes I think that money would be one of the best investments in your mini!

#7 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:21 PM

hey bumblebee saw ur pic inn the latest mini magazine.

would i bebale to fit a twin dtm back box and pipe to my 1275 with cat?

#8 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:32 PM

Do you think the rc40 stanless would go well with a budget lcb on a 998?

rob

#9 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:53 PM

yeh it will rob

as for ythe piping, acording to the testing in t "4 stroke performance tunign" up to 70phb should be 1" 7/8

#10 The_Mini_Bug

The_Mini_Bug

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:39 PM

you can buy a piece to put on ya old pipe to ya new back box piece ( if that makes sense ) bloke in shop explaned it to me in shop basic just makes the big pipe down size to fit on the front bit

#11 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:27 AM

is it possible to fit one when u have a cat on it?

someone said to me something like the pipe has to be cut to match and its a whole lot of hassel. :erm:

#12 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:14 PM

Hi,

Stage 1 kit is easiest, its suited to engine size, you get a carb needle and spring to match, if you want a centre exit DTM, then ask for that instead of the side exit one, its that easy.

Stainless systems are better, lifetime guarantee etc.

as for cat cars, dont actually think it matters, you can buy a cat replacement pipe anyway if you like gives more power!

just remember the link pipe (its kinda bent a little to avoid the gearshift assembly) its worth buying one of these, only around £25

Another thing worth remembering is you can actually buy 'step downs/ups' basically its a piece of tube, which is bigger at one end that it is at the other, or smaller at one end :) haha, this can be used where joining, for example a 2" backbox to an 1 3/4" system,

however another little trick (bodge) you can do is cut a slit at the 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock position on the pipe, use an exhaust clamp and squeeze it up, remove the clamp, recut, reclamp keep repeating until a 1 3/4" clamp will fit!

when fitting centre exit systems, pay attention to where your main battery cable is at the rear of the subframe, mine burnt through and i broke down :) was very lucky so bear that in mind, dont want any fires!

Exhaust 'blank' is readily availible from various places, tyre and exhaust centres, demon tweeks, even piper sell it (they make cams too) as well as your local motor factors! theyre usually the cheapest, you'll need a handfull of exhaust clamps, a tube of exhaust paste, and a boxfull of 'usefull one day' bits and bobs to 'fabricate' (bodge) a mounting together (for centre exit systems)

Straight through systems are power eaters unless jetted properly, as well as annoying neighbours and giving yourself a headache!

Hope that gives people a few ideas to start makin their minis more powerful and louder :)

Take care

Rich

#13 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:44 AM

yeah it does thanks mate.

1 thing, does this affect the output of emissions because a friend of mine took her carb off and it failed the emissions test.

#14 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:46 PM

emisions test without a carb? do you mean cat? the carb is needed to start the car, or is that why it failed because it wouldnt start :)

Rich

#15 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:08 PM

sorry yes a cat (silly me) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users