Photo
- - - - -

1995 Mayfair 1275 Carb - What Exhaust Manifold ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1275UK

1275UK

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:13 PM

Hi

I might buy a 1995 1275 Carb Mayfair I've spotted but just wondering what exhaust manifold is has as stock - is it the old 2 in 1 iron casting ? Or could it be the later cast LCB affair and seperate inlet manifold - this might just be the carb Metro though ?

Researching around it only seems rated at 50BHP (?!) and I can only put that down to the exhaust/CAT/carb setup although I know I have to watch CAT removal for MOT. Is there an accepted way to get back the stock 60 odd bhp ? Say using the Metro manifolds etc (if it hasn't got them already)

Thanks

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:21 PM

you'd be very lucky to get a standard cooper actually having the "stock" BHP Figure! to improve your bhp though you could buy an LCB Exhaust manifold!

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

I think the later ones had the cast LCB variant ( ie two pipes down the back and into one after that kink ) like the ones used on metros.

#4 1275UK

1275UK

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

I think the later ones had the cast LCB variant ( ie two pipes down the back and into one after that kink ) like the ones used on metros.

That's what I was hoping, I read they don't flow too badly if you change the downpipes to larger bore Maniflow items and perhaps fit a CAT replacement pipe - relatively easy to swap back if needed for emission stuff that way.

Minimadjonesy, it's just a Mayfair, and a rusty one at that (for 1995 anyway !)

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

You should check the history of this car a little more closely, as I'm pretty sure there were no carb'd Mini's any more by 1995. It is either dodgy or has an earlier engine fitted, in which case the manifold could be from either the original SPi or the transplant engine.

#6 1275UK

1275UK

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:20 PM

That's interesting....... It's an "N Reg" Mayfair but all looked very original under the bonnet as I remember it, no empty holes, void brackets or spare injection looms cluttering the bay up, although I wasn't particularly looking for those things but will now you've mentioned it !

Went nice, very tight feeling, 30 odd thousand miles but fairly rusty around the o/s headlight and windscreen base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users