#1 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:26 AM

I have recently fitted an K&N cone filter to my mini.

When removing the old air filter there are 2 connections one to the engine and another 2 inch dia. pipe that at the moment is just left un-connected.

I think that this is ok but I am not sure.

Can anyone tell me if it is ok and what the pipe is for?

Cheers

#2 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:36 AM

Hi there, do you mean the piece of flexible tubing from the exhaust manifold to the airbox? if thats the one, bung it in the garage, it looks poop!

A pic would be ideal if im on about the wrong part.

Richie

#3 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:47 AM

Here is a pic I found on the web. I have circled the bit I am on about, its missing on this pic but I hope youll get what I mean.

Just underneath it is the 2 inch pipe I was on about.

Attached Files

#4 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:24 PM

DO you just mean a bit of plastic ducting, quite large diameter? This is usually just to direct some fresh cool air from the front of the car back to the air filter!
Which is why it is open ended at the front!

???? :erm:

#5 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:35 PM

The plastic bit I have removed, Im talking about the metal ducting pipe bit below that it is attached to.

I take it I can remove the metal ducting pipe then.

Cheers

#6 Ben H

Ben H

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:50 PM

The metal ducting pipe just tries to put warmer air into the carb when it is cold and is supposed to help it run better until it warms up. Removing it should have little no effect at all.

Ben

#7 The_Mini_Bug

The_Mini_Bug

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:31 PM

i think i know what u mean i got a pipercross filter on and theres this pipe that dow go any where and looks proper stupid heres a pic of mine if it the same pipe your on about

Attached Files

#8 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:58 PM

Jus take it off and throw it in the bin, over engineered piece of C**p. Its all extra weigh and will sllow you down.

If you have a K&N, its redundant now, so you can take it off.

#9 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:37 PM

ok u have one which is cold air induced and another that uses a bi-metalic strip to open and close, this is to induce warm air into the car, better for starting on cold mornign and to stop the car freezing up as it acts like an airosol and gets really cold. now u have a k&N u dont need it,and the hot air makes u go slower anyway due to less oxygen molecules being in the air

#10 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

junk it in the bin, and drill 6 or so 1/2" - 1" holse in the front of the air box to help increase air flow. or just junk it and get a good cone filter.

#11 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:59 AM

Mini7racer, are you serious about drilling holes into the airbox?
Ive wondered about doing that before, but I thought it was just another of my stupid Ideas that would probarbly ruin somthing.
pEaCe
Dom

#12 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:23 PM

aye. drilling holes increases the air flow. rather than all the air trying to get in that little snorkle it now has many ways to get in. but this only works if you have a k&n etc elements in it. with a paper one it dont really work. but for best results check it in the bit and fit a propper cone! gives a nice straight air flow through the carb, increasing air speed slightly,

#13 Ben H

Ben H

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:01 PM

From what I remember a K&N replacement filter in the standard box does not sinificantly increase flow compared to a brand new paper filter. However a dirty paper filter is a large restriction, but a clogged K&N flows about the same as when clean. A cone filter does flow better and much better if you add a stub stack.

Drilling holes in the standard box works well, but it can make the filter get wet which is why it is a bad idea with a paper filetr.

Ben

#14 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

paper elements are a complete waste of time!!!! K&Ns do flow way better, the in box one flows as well almost as a cone as it is the same element material, the big restriction is the box its self and the fact that the air has to basically do a U turn to get therough the carb where as with a cone it flows in a straight line near enough.

#15 The_Mini_Bug

The_Mini_Bug

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 08:29 PM

wots the diffrence between a k&n and a pipercross filter other than the name :erm: is one better than the other :erm:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users