Photo

Any Other Young Drivers Having Insurance Problems?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Natalie

Natalie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

Mine's with Churchill £149 for the year - but I'm 25 with 3years NCB now.

Having a more experienced person (e.g Mum) as a named driver may bring the cost of the premium down, as may doing Pass Plus and doing something with IAM.
Certain companies also give discounts if you're a member of an enthusiasts club.

Would your parents be willing to have you as a named driver on one of their policies as I think having use of another car can reduce the premium too.

#32 satvinder

satvinder

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

my insurance is almost nearly double what your paying.

get your pairents to pay for it then pay them back in monthly payments, then you can have the slightly cheaper insurace

#33 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

1275 engined mini, with all mods declared for £165/year. And being with AA I've got membership of that for about £60 extra.

She's insured fully comp, and I've got 3rd party extention onto anything else I'm licenced to drive, (all cars & all motorbikes).

Quite happy with it if I'm honest, the car's not even on the road, but it's useful to have her insured, just in case, and lets me borrow other cars to collect bits and pieces, (Shogun to collect and engine for example).

:kiss:)

#34 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

Can I use my insurance discount (that you get when you join TMF+) to insure any car or just Minis??

Adrian Flux or Admiral was it?

Yeh its Adrian Flux and its 15% off!!

Im gonna call now! :kiss:

Edited by MGMT, 02 October 2008 - 12:46 PM.

#35 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

A lot of places won't insure under-21s (Footman James) or insure young drivers on modified cars (Direct Line).

Footman James will insure young drivers, I was with them when I was 17 and 18. Try them, they gave me a great deal a few years ago

Yeah, my bad, sorry - they insure young drivers on 'classic' cars, but not 'modern' cars. So, my MPi is 'modern,' which is why they refused to insure me. Sorry, I forgot that.

#36 JohnGordon

JohnGordon

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Local Club: N.W Mini's / O.D.M.C

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

A lot of places won't insure under-21s (Footman James) or insure young drivers on modified cars (Direct Line).

Footman James will insure young drivers, I was with them when I was 17 and 18. Try them, they gave me a great deal a few years ago

Yeah, my bad, sorry - they insure young drivers on 'classic' cars, but not 'modern' cars. So, my MPi is 'modern,' which is why they refused to insure me. Sorry, I forgot that.

When I rung them they said that they couldn't insure me on 'classic' car insurance because I was under 25

#37 Linzi

Linzi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Local Club: www.leylandminiclub.com

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

When i was learning to drive i had a 1.2 P reg Clio, which I had insured under my mums name (she was driving it as her daily driver) and it cost me £950,.. when I past my test and came to re-new insurance under my name it was going to cost me £1200 at the cheapest. Look at cost of insuring a 1275spi and it was going to cost me £850 fully comp under my name thats with no no claims, not bad, so thats what i went for. After a years driving and a lot of modifying (none performance enhancing mind) I swapped insurance companies as one i was with wouldn't insure me and it went down to £750 all mods declared and with an agreed value of £4000 thats with 1 yr ncb,.. hopeing it will go down more with another years ncb when its up for re-newal as i have more plans!!

Also just bought a 1981 998cc mini, which i have insured with a seperate company, no no claims but taken into consideration my ncb if you know what i mean,.. is insured fully comp for £345!! Not doen my agreed value form yet but that price includes the fee for the agreed value.

I am 22 by the way.

#38 sadam_lfc

sadam_lfc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Local Club: Musketeers Mini Club

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

hi mate...

go 2 quinn-direct, they'll sort u out and u can pay monthly and get free breakdown!!! ideal!!!

#39 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

hi mate...

go 2 quinn-direct, they'll sort u out and u can pay monthly and get free breakdown!!! ideal!!!

quinn premiums will go up considerably the moment you pass your test, and they don't tell you this

just take this into account, as most are attracted by the abnormally low price (when insuring as a learner) and forget this fact

#40 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

Location does make a lot of difference, or post code at least.
My girlfriends insurance being a case in point, the farm has two postcodes, (depending which side you approach it from).

If you use the CO Colchester - Essex postcode the insurance is much more expensive then the IP Ipswich - Suffolk postcode.

Quite impressive for parking in front of the house, or in the yard.

#41 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

Unfortunately, with insurance, all you can do is make sure you've got the cheapest quote possible and pay up...

Unfortunately though, sometimes you get what you pay for. If you get a really cheap one, they're absolutely pants when it comes to actually doing anything for you (If you're unfortunate enought to need it.)

My Mini (998 Stage 1, Arches, Alloys etc) is cheaper than my Fiat (899cc with Alloys) to insure..... by £225 a year!?

#42 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

mines a 998cc and i got mine insured for the first year at 1063quid and i was 17 on my own name however i was on third party fire and theft...2nd ive just payed 470 quid

this is with quinn direct which dont seem to bad to me

#43 Roo

Roo

The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

it is difficult but there are ways around it. A mate of mine went under his mum's name with someone (i will let you know when i find out) and he managed to get a 9 month polocy. It was a NCB booster. So after 9 months they gave him 1 years NCB so he could go under his own name earlier! I think it was Norwich union, but im not 100% sure

You need to be careful with this.. I did this with diamond and the next insurance company wouldn't accept it.

Insurance is very epensive for young drivers.. But think about it... Most accidents are caused by those under 25. You get all these boy racers (and some girls) who make it difficult for other young drivers. Stupidity in driving, no care for other Road users, showing off, speeding, not paying attention etc... all leads to accidents. Hell you have to sit out side the front of my house to know this is all true.

I insured my mini when i was 21. I paid £998 TPFT on a 1275 all mods declared. I will never do TPFT again. If your in an accident, even if its not your fault.. you have to deal with everything, garage repairs, obtaining quotes etc.

22 with an accident not my fault i managed to pay 900 fully comp on same mini all mods declared, no no claims as my bonus 1 Years No claims was not accepted. This year i had an accident which was my fault. renewal came and the insurance company wanted over 1k fully comp.. Fair enough i had an accident but that was rediculous.

Soo shop around and find diamond will insure me for £750 fully comp all mods declared with an accident against my name.. so saved another £200 from the previous year.

This year i've been quoted £475 fully comp (from diamond nobody else could do it cheaper with mods) with mods declared one accident against my name and 1 years no claims.

so in three years i've dropped my insurance down by about £600 with an accident.. not bad going.

You'll find its cheaper for a 17 year girl to be insured than it is for a 17 year old boy... Sorry lads

Only thing to say is to look for a 1L car thats not high in value to start off with.. the value of the car also affects the price of the insurance and location is a big factor too.. IF there is a high crime rate where you live your'll find your premiums will be higher.

#44 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

they wouldnt insure me on my own policy. think i had trouble with NFU aswell.

#45 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:33 AM

Get yourself a kit car, they are cheap as chips to insure, i phoned up asking them how much as it would be a new policy as it will be my second car, so no NCB or anything like that they only wanted £312 a year fully comp, etc... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users