Photo

Mini 50th Anniversary Models From Wood & Pickett?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

That would be sooo cool.

#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

It's entirely practical and well done W&P for taking the initiative. A standard Mini would pass SVA easily enough; you don't need airbags etc and, I believe, the steering column is also ok because the wheel and mountings will deform instead, thanks to the "sit up 'n beg" design. They can also use a reconditioned engine so no problem with sourcing new castings, "experienced" blocks 'n heads are actually better than new as the countless warm up & cool down cycles will have relaxed any stresses that cause distortion.

Who knows, if the venture is a big enough success, it might inspire small scale production on a permanent basis :P

#18 jodysmini

jodysmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

that would be sweet gonna be good to see :P

#19 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

It's entirely practical and well done W&P for taking the initiative. A standard Mini would pass SVA easily enough; you don't need airbags etc and, I believe, the steering column is also ok because the wheel and mountings will deform instead, thanks to the "sit up 'n beg" design. They can also use a reconditioned engine so no problem with sourcing new castings, "experienced" blocks 'n heads are actually better than new as the countless warm up & cool down cycles will have relaxed any stresses that cause distortion.

Who knows, if the venture is a big enough success, it might inspire small scale production on a permanent basis :P

Now that would be good! :)

#20 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:32 AM

THey may well have bought up NOS engines when Roer closed down so they might well be new engines going in. no matter though as one item is allowed to be used for a new registration anyway.

#21 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Unsure all the possible legal factors on this, Juju did mention this topic before though. http://www.theminifo...p;hl=trademarks
BMW have approached other firms in the last 10-15 years and wrapped them up in legalities, which has effectively stopped them building new cars. Would be interesting though to see if it could be done an any scale, as availabily on key hard parts is getting harder and harder!

Edited by [email protected], 04 October 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'd think if BMH is involved there will be at least tacit approval off BMW - as long as they don't want to stick a Beamer badge on 'em >_<

You wouldn't have to infringe any trade names or marks - just call it a W&P 50th anniversary.

Dan's point about external seams is interesting, W&P have plenty of experience at deseaming, but there are loads of new vehicles with similar features, every flat bed truck for example.

It was under Rover that the Mini's shape was registered as a trademark, but in my opinion, it's not worth the paper it's written on: I doubt BMW would try and enforce it and risk losing.

#23 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

This is rather exciting news!
Would be fantastic to see, and hopefully BMW won't get in the way of manufacture.

Edit: Just had a thought, does copyright also include the silhouette?

Edited by Ouster, 04 October 2008 - 01:50 PM.

#24 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

Copyright doesn't apply to industrial products. A product, like a car, would be protected as a registered design and possibly patents. Both only last 10 to 20 years, which is one reason why manufacturers constantly bring out new models.

Some 1980's, red braces, executive type did register the Mini's shape as a Trademark for Rover. Trademarks can last for ever, but since the Mini was no longer a registered design and the shape had already been widely used by others for all manner of things, notwithstanding the obvious abuse of intellectual property rights to stifle competition, I don't think BMW would have any hope of successfully suing for damages from someone as compensation for something they don't even manufacture.

If they did win, I'd register everything from toilet rolls to tins of beans and give Bill Gates some competition in the seriously wedged stakes.

#25 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Well this bloke continued to sell his ready built Minis, even after Rover and John Cooper prevented him from using the names 'Mini' and 'Cooper': -

Posted Image

Of course the launch of the Rover Mini Cooper in 1990 pretty much put an end to his dealings as Rover were supplying a factory built Mini Cooper for a fraction of the price.

But of course Wood & Pickett aren't going to have any competition now.

#26 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

If W&P used new heritage shells then BMW would get their money from the fees that heritage pay to them so they would not be loosing out on money.

AS for the Trademark, BMW now own it and I think they have already used this to stop someone making mini toys (there was a topic about it on the forum).

But as I said as BMW will be getting a slice of the action anyway then they would be happy.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.

#27 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

Charlie's right. They are using a heritage shell (one to test the water, anyway). It's in the bodyshop at the moment holding up the work on my GT.

Margrave interiors haven't been made for years (before Mike owned W&P anyway, I fink :P ), so it's going to be a bit of an experiment for them all round. I can't wait. :P

#28 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

Toyota made the A series under licence so it wouldn't surprise me.

#29 william

william

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

i think I'll pitch my tent and camp here....

interesting topic.... :P

Edited by william, 06 October 2008 - 02:53 PM.

#30 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

If W&P used new heritage shells then BMW would get their money from the fees that heritage pay to them so they would not be loosing out on money.

AS for the Trademark, BMW now own it and I think they have already used this to stop someone making mini toys (there was a topic about it on the forum).

But as I said as BMW will be getting a slice of the action anyway then they would be happy.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.

Not strictly true. I spoke to BMH earlier today about the theory on this, without naming names, and the license agreement they have is that BMH are no allowed to build and sell new cars, as part of that agreement.
As I said earlier in regard to the rest of the trademark legalities, BMW own almost every right there is to the Mini in regard to shape and silhouette, how this affects the selling of new cars I couldn't say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users