58 replies to this topic

#1 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Rocker cover is all go. Pattern is being made, It will be something along these lines:

RockerCover_zpsfc34e9ec.jpg

Sorry for the crude photoshop!! and ignore the colouring!!

It will be cast alloy, possibly with the red H, It may be an option. The fixing nuts will be alan key headed and flush with the face, no T bars or big sunk holes here. the H and side fins will be raised from the cover, undecided if there will be side fins that go over and down the side, but you get the idea! It'll be chamfered in towards the top, not just flat sided. There will also be the option of breathers. The cap and fixing nuts will be included, and both will be polished stainless steel.

It should accommodate Roller Rockers, but as with the ones that are out there already, this will depend on your engine spec.

I will update with more pics as it develops further!

Ed

Edited by tedmcedd, 12 June 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#2 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Roughly how much will they be? (posted)

#3 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Couldn't possibly say yet!! I'll let you know when I've got the first one!

#4 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Will it be a straight casting? Or with machined 'highlights'? Looks good but price is the critical element. It's a tough market. I would be interested if they are sensible money.

#5 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

Depends what you class as sensible money!?

I will be trying to keep costs to the competitive side. The cover that seems to be the popular one that's available is around the £40 mark, and then often you have to buy the cap and T-bars or nuts separately... It depends if you want to have the same one as everyone else, or be that bit different!

http://www.minisport...fo_MS0415R.html

http://www.minisport...nfo_MS0415.html

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

http://compare.ebay....&ff14=65&ff19=0

MG metro type too:

http://www.ebay.co.u...219920189&ps=54

It will just be cast, not machined. I did consider machining a groove into the base and having a rubber O ring pressed in, instead of the cork gasket, but, If it ain't broke...

So, Pattern is being made. Hopefully have some more pictures and updates soon!

Edited by tedmcedd, 15 June 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#6 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Unusual ones like Oselli seem to go on eBay for £65-£150 depending on condition and model so of you can keep it under that by a bit then I think you will sell a good few. But people are funny, stick a cooper sticker on and its worth £20 more to some people even though any muppet can tell their 998 isn't a cooper.

I really like yours, will there be colour options?

#7 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I was aiming for around the £50 mark... But it could all go one way or the other!! Its all well keeping cost down, but if the quality isnt there, then its pointless.

One of the reasons for me starting Horsman Conversions, was that there seems to be a big dip in the quality of things that are around now. All too many places sell cheap Chinese knock off stuff that has a Lucas sticker on, but breaks within a week. Or the chrome is so thin, one polish with some Autosol, and its gone. 

Working previously at a Rolls-Royce and Bentley Coachbuilders making bodies and other bespoke items for Vintage cars, really opened my eyes to proper craftsmanship and British made goodness!

Initially I will be producing them in just alloy, with the option of a polished item, and or the H being painted red. I can do colours or other spec on request, but this will be an added extra. I'm all for customisation and making something your own!

Ed

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

I was aiming for around the £50 mark... But it could all go one way or the other!! Its all well keeping cost down, but if the quality isnt there, then its pointless.

One of the reasons for me starting Horsman Conversions, was that there seems to be a big dip in the quality of things that are around now. All too many places sell cheap Chinese knock off stuff that has a Lucas sticker on, but breaks within a week. Or the chrome is so thin, one polish with some Autosol, and its gone. 

Working previously at a Rolls-Royce and Bentley Coachbuilders making bodies and other bespoke items for Vintage cars, really opened my eyes to proper craftsmanship and British made goodness!

Initially I will be producing them in just alloy, with the option of a polished item, and or the H being painted red. I can do colours or other spec on request, but this will be an added extra. I'm all for customisation and making something your own!

Ed

If you could do one with blue instead of red, I would be interested at £50. Get some pics up as soon as you have some.

#9 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Money waiting!! What sort of job would it be or you to weld in a breather pipe, right at far left in line with the clutch housing breather so I can run the swiftune type breather set up?

Cheers, harri

#10 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Like this do you mean Harri:

6800858081_4a1eb9b784_o.jpg

I can do that, not a problem, it will be on top of the rocker cover price, as an extra. All prices to be announced! still waiting on the pattern! But once that is done, it will be plain sailing! I will be doing a run of about 10 to start with, 4 already called for.

Ed

#11 patricksouth

patricksouth

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Would u do custom colours or just one...as i would like one in Porsche Rivera blue if possible...or gloss black

#12 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Yes, I can add any custom touches for additional cost, or, alternatively, buy a plain alloy one and customise yourself!

Ed

#13 patricksouth

patricksouth

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Cool well in defiantly interested then...keep me posted....
cheers

#14 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

i like unusual things like rare rocker covers and wheels etc, i like the idea of someone making a new design rocker cover, good on you i say!

i was considering doing this myself actually, and did briefly look into it.

as tamworth said, some of the rare ones do fetch good money, so i dont see why yours couldnt be £50 or slightly more even. i have seen formula junior covers fetch over £200 on ebay in the past. i think these are the sort of thing that "everyone" will buy so you could make a few quid here!

#15 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

i like unusual things like rare rocker covers and wheels etc, i like the idea of someone making a new design rocker cover, good on you i say!

i was considering doing this myself actually, and did briefly look into it.

as tamworth said, some of the rare ones do fetch good money, so i dont see why yours couldnt be £50 or slightly more even. i have seen formula junior covers fetch over £200 on ebay in the past. i think these are the sort of thing that "everyone" will buy so you could make a few quid here!

Why are the formula junior covers so expensive ? O_O , i cant see how a few breather holes could cost so much more even from scratch haha, although the name of the company will be all you're paying for like most things  *KAD, DSN cough cough* :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users