3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Gordon

Andrew Gordon

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

Hi all we have just brought a 1985 mini Mayfair in need of some love we would like to replace the engine with a Honda vtec which engine do I need

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

This USA website may help:-

http://www.superfastminis.com/

#3 Andrew Gordon

Andrew Gordon

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

Thanks this is the first mini we have owned so need a lot of help and advice thanks

#4 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:49 AM

I know you don't know much at this stage but nor do we know how to help you out?  :ohno:

We need some basics here, front wheel or rear wheel drive?

Roundnose/clubman front, not sure if you know but the clubman is around an extra 100mm in length which helps a lot, do you want the roundnose extended or not? mini track or metro track (wider), what size wheels, UK or USA based kit (delivery and after sales help), road or track use or bit of both?

Everything has a knock on effect from how you want it to look to how to want it to function and where. 

As a recent post, Minitec/superfast minis can get you going with a USA based kit. They recommend a 13" wheel setup but some have run 10's

http://www.superfast...LL PRODUCTS.htm

Watsons (UK) can help you out with a metro based subframe setup, this means a wider track which is not to everyones liking but will go round a track better than a standard mini based track which holds the same honda engine. All standard components are used from the donor car which is a massive plus here but you will need an extended roundnose front (around an extra 90mm) or use a normal clubman front. Wheel choice is generally 13's up, ideally a 14" is best bet 

http://www.watsonsrally.co.uk

Allspeed (UK) will net you a standard mini based track so if looks are your thing then this will help, they squeeze into a standard roundnose or fit comfortably in a clubman front, however for a clubman front then like the Watsons setup you can use standard donor car parts but for a standard roundnose you will need to find your own radiator that fits, find a place for your alternator to go and find a place to make you (unless you can make yourself) a VERY close hugging exhaust manifold, there is basically next to nothing room but its do able. This frame was made for a clubman, you want it in a roundnose then you have to work out the rest 

http://www.allspeede...index.php/honda

I'm not gonna go into cost and time, you know where you stand with that but whatever your cost and time is then if you can afford to double both (trust me) you will stand in good stead 

A lot of budget can go towards just getting the mini ready for whatever you want to throw in it and modify it to take the abuse, I'm not saying you need to go to town on a recently restored example but some projects have been lost just spending all your time and money before you even get to the honda stuff. Knowing about mini to start off with is a massive help.

Projects being sold can end up being a huge bargain 

Have an idea first of what you want it to look like and go like and go where like, read through some similar honda builds on here to get more of an insight, they are all done by people who want to help

Check out some of the mini based build diaries as well, a lot of the info there will be invaluable to you  

Good luck  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users