Photo

I Want Sportspack Arches But Don't Want New Holes..

detailing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

I know that there's probably no way this is actually possible to the point where it actually works but is there any way I can fit sportspack arches without drilling new holes? I have the standard black plastic ones and my car is completely standard and never had welding plus my dad wouldn't let me drill new holes but I love the look of the wide sportspack. So any suggestions or ideas are welcome cause I don't have many that I can think of that will actually work.

Thanks

Glen

#2 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

Man up and drill the holes, or don't run sportspack arches..

Your car, your choice.

#3 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

There's no way around it. Also be aware they are huge and come quite a way up the wing. Your wheels might not fill the arches (what wheels do you have) and if you get bigger wheels the front wings will need to be cut to accommodate them. All in all it's not straight forward; don't buy the rubber type either because many have found them to be useless.

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

Yep, its not the holes drilled you want to worry about, its cutting up most your wings to do it that'd the *******.

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Don't forget welding in the new arch edge stiffener, item 11 here:

http://www.somerford...&id=6&chapter=1

#6 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

There is a recent post here where sportspack arches are fitted. You can see how much metal needs to be cut off..

http://www.theminifo...14#entry3452431

#7 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

Yeah this is what I expected hahah. Just thought I'd ask cause hey do look good but not worth chopping my car to bits for. I've heard that group 2 arches fit in the standard holes? If anyone can confirm what arches actually do fit in the standard holes that would be great as one of mine came flying off a couple of days ago thanks to a nice big pot hole that shattered it

#8 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:58 AM

Yeah this is what I expected hahah. Just thought I'd ask cause hey do look good but not worth chopping my car to bits for. I've heard that group 2 arches fit in the standard holes? If anyone can confirm what arches actually do fit in the standard holes that would be great as one of mine came flying off a couple of days ago thanks to a nice big pot hole that shattered it

Groupe2 and groupe2 race fit in the special arch holes if that's what you want to know... 😀

E- What wheels are you trying to cover?

Edited by MacGyver, 22 April 2017 - 07:59 AM.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Wood and Picket arches fit without drilling holes in the bodywork panels (you drill the hidden fixing holes from below into the arch flange/lip) and they usually cover existing plastic wheel arch holes. Also no need to cut the front wings if you run with the standard ride height and width factory/option 10/12" alloy wheels (not the 13" Sportpack alloys).

#10 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

If your going for arches then you will want wheels to suit. Before you make any decisions make sure you understand the side efects of the bigger wheels. I think there is a good section on keith calvers site explaining things.
at the end of the day it may not matter to you, thats fine, but make sure you have all the facts first. :-)

#11 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

Give it a few years and you'll be glad you didn't chop it about for silly arches

I ruined many a mini back in the day, looking back

Merv

#12 Glenny1481

Glenny1481

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Groupe2 and groupe2 race fit in the special arch holes if that's what you want to know... 😀

E- What wheels are you trying to cover?

I have the standard rover ones with an offset of 35 and are either 4.5 or 5 inch wide I'm not entirely sure but I really don't like them, the ones I want are 12x6 with and offset of -7 so they stick out a fair amount further so I'll obviously need new arches just wasn't sure which ones. Thanks for the help though I'll take a look at them

#13 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

group 2 narrow from Huddersfield Spares or similar fit direct into exsisting holes and are ideal for 10x6 wheels

(in most cases) different brakes etc can cause wheels to stick out more etc

I have drums front and rear - lowered about 15mm all round - 10x6 UltraLite wheels - group 2 narrow arches and they sit perfect and no cutting and no rubbing at all.

You need to spend an hour or so reading about Wheel Offset and how it works, as well as deciding what sort of look you want to achieve.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: detailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users