Bill

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

Model: Sprite 1.3 Spi
Year: 1996
Description of problem (please be as in depth as possible): My mini failed its MOT on high emissions last year so I spent about £300 on engine work to get it sorted. This included a new lambda sensor.

Just recently the car has started playing up. It starts off the key great when cold and runs well until it warms up. It then starts to chug and lose power to the point that its undriveable.

It idles at about 2k even when warm (I thought this was a little high!!).

When its sat idling and its upto normal temperature, if I floor the throttle it'll splutter like its going to die and then rev up. Sometimes it pops a bit when I do this but not always.

I've changed the dizzy cap, rotor and leads. I've checked the spark plugs and they're all a nice light brown colour (which I assume is how they should be).

One thing I did notice is that if I open the throttle (from under the bonnet at the carb) a small puff of blue smoke comes up from behind the engine at the left hand side.

By the way the oil isn't milky at all. Its very clear (almost too clear perhaps?).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

Model: Sprite 1.3 Spi
Year: 1996
Description of problem (please be as in depth as possible): My mini failed its MOT on high emissions last year so I spent about £300 on engine work to get it sorted. This included a new lambda sensor.

Just recently the car has started playing up. It starts off the key great when cold and runs well until it warms up. It then starts to chug and lose power to the point that its undriveable.

It idles at about 2k even when warm (I thought this was a little high!!).

When its sat idling and its upto normal temperature, if I floor the throttle it'll splutter like its going to die and then rev up. Sometimes it pops a bit when I do this but not always.

I've changed the dizzy cap, rotor and leads. I've checked the spark plugs and they're all a nice light brown colour (which I assume is how they should be).

One thing I did notice is that if I open the throttle (from under the bonnet at the carb) a small puff of blue smoke comes up from behind the engine at the left hand side.

By the way the oil isn't milky at all. Its very clear (almost too clear perhaps?).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hi, I had a similar experience with my 94 Cooper with a fast idle. When I removed the air filter found the vaccum line to the thermac valve on the filter inlet cracked (small rubber elbow). In the process of replacing that piece, the whole line broke lose from behind the intake manifold. It had back there another rubber elbow. Luckilly, I had bought two and that fixed the leak and the fast idle. However, then the car would idle erratically after warming up and would die when stopping the car and in between gear shifts. I had noticed that there was a second vaccum line behind the manifold to the left of the one I had replaced and it felt to the touch (you can not see them) like if it were collapsed. After some time tugging on the line it came of and it was soft like chewing gum. I replaced that piece that went from the manifold to the fuel trap. The piece from the fuel trap to the ECU was good. The car ran great then. Hope that helps.

#3 Bill

Bill

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the info.

I'll have a look at those at the weekend.

Cheers

Bill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users