CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

I would like to start doing some work on my mini but I dont have any tool. I was thinking of buying a set as it seems to be cheaper. Could any one recommend a good automotive tool set (around £100).

I found this one at Halfords,

http://www.halfords....&type=0&cat=146

Cheers,

Charlie

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

CLICKY

here is a list made by Bluemini(Red) of all the tools he thinks you need to work on a mini.

That toolbox dont look too bad, but there could be stuff in there that you will never use.

#3 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:28 PM

Yer, I had a look at the list but thought it would be cheaper to buy a kit???

How much did/would all that lot on the list cost?

#4 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:10 PM

That is NOT a good list of tools needed.
You need A/F tools NOT Metric, unless you have a later car with a
Metro engine.

Some metric sizes are close to A/F but can slip and round off the nuts.

Wheel nuts for instance are 11/16''

Siggy

#5 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:21 PM

but both lists have metric and imperial on... :)

and if anyone knows then Bluemini(Red) does, i think he's probably taken every nut and bolt out of a mini that he can... :tongue: :grin:

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

If it needs an AF spanner, then I go and buy one, but I have stripped anr re-built enuf stuff with what I have on that list without any probs. My socket set has all the AF sizes you might need anyway.

#7 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:55 PM

i have that tool kit with the link and got it from halfords, its rebuilt 1 and a half minis in it 2 year life time and is still going strong, its an all purpoe kit but seems to do the job even thoutgh its cheap, only thing it lacks is metric spanners of cirtain sized but on a mini its got everything really, the only thing i have broken is the pliars, but this was due to me trying to cut something with them in a vice(not designed for he he)

hope this has helped a bit

#8 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:00 PM

iv jsut read bluemins tool list, its very true especially bloody manifold bolts. 13mm(1/2") are extreemly usefull if not most used size.

im a bit biased towards halfords as i work there, but the tools are good quality and the professional series comes with lifetime garentee(keep thje recipt if u can, makes it loads easier)

#9 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:34 AM

Dont buy Halfords ratchet spanners ! :sad: , the propesional ones have a lifetime guarentee , but they WONT change them if they break ! :) I found out the hard way , better buy Snap-on they cost about 30% more but if you break one in ten years time they will change it for a new one , no questions asked , no reciept needed,does not matter where you bought it or when :grin: you will get a new one , Snap-on :grin:

#10 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:15 AM

The list of Bluemini's did NOT include any AF spanners!

To those who use ony Metric tools on Mini's I must assume that your traning was on the Meat counter at Tesco's.

Ask any profession who works in the motor trade and they will tell you that a 13 mm spanner is NOT the same size as a 1/2'' AF. And long term use of inccorect tools will result in roun ded off nuts/bolts and damaged body parts, yours and the cars.

Siggy

25 years in the trade, inc technical advisor in a large Ford dealership, Mini and MGF technician, Dianostician, Rover dealer. Built, prepared championship winning Rally cars, sevice on rallys including the RAC and 1000 Lakes. 6 years lecturer motor vehicle, all levels. I have rebuilt more Mini's than I can remember

#11 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:22 AM

Thanx for that Siggy on the revised list i shall add that AF spanners should be used for the reasons that you have given.

#12 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:33 AM

The list of Bluemini's did NOT include any AF spanners!

To those who use ony Metric tools on Mini's I must assume that your traning was on the Meat counter at Tesco's.

Ask any profession who works in the motor trade and they will tell you that a 13 mm spanner is NOT the same size as a 1/2'' AF. And long term use of inccorect tools will result in roun ded off nuts/bolts and damaged body parts, yours and the cars.

Siggy

25 years in the trade, inc technical advisor in a large Ford dealership, Mini and MGF technician, Dianostician, Rover dealer. Built, prepared championship winning Rally cars, sevice on rallys including the RAC and 1000 Lakes. 6 years lecturer motor vehicle, all levels. I have rebuilt more Mini's than I can remember

lmao ive been in the trade for years tooo, working with renaults, and i say

ok your right but a 13mm will do if you dont have many tools

maybe af should be added to the list, cant say ive looked as yet.

#13 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:32 AM

That halfords kit looks pretty impressive for a first time buyer.
I started off with cheapish sets of tools but I'm slowly buying quality ones as I need them - been quite impressed with the Draper Professional sets. They are much more expensive but so so so much better quality. Having said that the cheap end of drapers range are made from playdough.

Better quality tools last longer, they don't bust the items you are working on by slipping and they are less likely to break you when you use them.
I made the mistake of buying a bargain set of imperial spanners at a show and broke one of them trying to undo a suspension bolt. Have also broken sockets on the cheaper sets. They'll do for those bolts that come undone easily - but the ones that require you to stand on the end of a breaker bar need to be good quality!
And to be honest most of the cars I work on are pretty old and rusty.

Whilst I'm here its worth saying that screwdrivers do go blunt over time do end up slipping on screws that a new screwdriver would tackle easily.

#14 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:37 PM

In that Halfords kit there is 170 tools for £79 that means that the average price of each tool is less than 50p.
There is probably 30% of them that you may never use.

Try looking at Farmers stores, if there are any near you they tend to have a good selection of tools at low prices. I have a 1/2 ratchet that I paid £4.50 and use it at work and have done for 3 years, I teach MV for pupils that have been excluded from school so have cheap tools for there and keep my Snap-on for home.
When I was at College I think we paid about £50 to build up a tool kit for each group of students to work with. We also had Metric and Imperial sets.

Marksmini you will never convince me that its OK to use the wrong size tools, unless I was in the middle of the wilderness and desprate. The concern I have is that if you are telling people that is OK to use them, what happens when they round off nuts or break thier cheap tools. They will not know why it has happened.

Siggy

#15 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:51 PM

hmmmmm

ok