#1 shaddy

shaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

fitting metro hubs

just got a couple of questions i know the bearings are a different design to that of the mini ones but do they use the same cv joints as a mini and can mini drive flanges be used also.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:53 AM

Simple answer, yes, but don't fit them as they are not the same as mini hubs, they will screw up your suspension geometry.

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

An acquaintance of mine on another forum was asking about Metro front end parts on his Clubman. I remembered that using Metro components affected the suspension geometry. John, can you elaborate a bit on what it affects?

#4 shaddy

shaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

An acquaintance of mine on another forum was asking about Metro front end parts on his Clubman. I remembered that using Metro components affected the suspension geometry. John, can you elaborate a bit on what it affects?

yes they do affect the geometry but as i understand it if you fit fullt adjustable bottom arms and tie bars the caster / camber angles can sorted out to solve the problems which the metro hubs can give you.
i think you are also meant to use the arm that connects to the track rod end of the metro hub to aid in the set up.

correct me if i'm wrong

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,426 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

You could correct everything with adjustable rods/arms except for the kingpin inclination. Afraid I don't have that figure but other Metro specs are Caster 2degs 6mins, Camber 0 + or - 30mins. Note that the ball joint taper changed so only use the earliest pattern.

I have driven Mini suspension with Metro hubs - it was actually pretty good.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

For the advantage of one fit ball joints, there is no advantage to using metro hubs vs mini hubs, yes you can dial out most of the geometry issues with an adjustable suspension kit, but the one thing you can't change is the top arm which will always be the brunt of the problem. I believe there is also a problem introduced with the ackerman angle ( even when using mini steering arms ) because of the relationship between where the arm attaches to the hub in relation to the top ball joint...

The long and short of it is, a full set up suspension with metro hubs will never be as good as a full setup suspension with Mini hubs, and a badly set up system will be like a shopping trolley, and considerably worse than a std mini setup.

#7 shaddy

shaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

For the advantage of one fit ball joints, there is no advantage to using metro hubs vs mini hubs, yes you can dial out most of the geometry issues with an adjustable suspension kit, but the one thing you can't change is the top arm which will always be the brunt of the problem. I believe there is also a problem introduced with the ackerman angle ( even when using mini steering arms ) because of the relationship between where the arm attaches to the hub in relation to the top ball joint...

The long and short of it is, a full set up suspension with metro hubs will never be as good as a full setup suspension with Mini hubs, and a badly set up system will be like a shopping trolley, and considerably worse than a std mini setup.

what are the problems with the top arms is the angle they sit at in relation to the ball joint?

i was under the impression to use metro steering arms

#8 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

my car had metro hubs on it when i got it i played with them for ages trying to get them right as did my friend who is known for build racing cars in my area and he couldn't get it right either so i ended up getting mini hubs and set them up in a hour or two.

#9 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

if you use the metro hubs use the metro steering arms.

#10 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

For the cost of getting Mini hub carriers - just throw the Mutro ones in the bin! The suspension will never be right.

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

Or will it?

If you are willing to spend the time seting the suspension up properly, and understanding what is going on with the geometry the metro hubs can offer a better setup that mini hubs, especially on 13" wheels.

#12 shaddy

shaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

right i'm now ready to fit the hubs to the sub frame, the one question i have is which swivel hubs do i use as the top and bottom ones are differant, do i stick with this? are use one type on the bottom and top if so which one part numbers anybody?

cheers

#13 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

you need the smaller pre 1984 joints.

the taper on the after 84 ones is larger and will not engage far enough into the mini arms, and is likely to break.

also while on the subject, rover was actually looking at homlogating the metro hubs for the MPI rally minis.... must have been a reason...

#14 spennyy2k

spennyy2k

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Local Club: south lancs mini owners club

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

i have the metro hubs on my mini, adjustable bottom arms and tie bars are needed to correct the geometry but they accerman (however you spell it) will be wrong forever

#15 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

so what is the "right" Ackerman?

you need the smaller pre 1984 joints.

the taper on the after 84 ones is larger and will not engage far enough into the mini arms, and is likely to break.

also while on the subject, rover was actually looking at homlogating the metro hubs for the MPI rally minis.... must have been a reason...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users