37 replies to this topic

#1 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

hi, im 17 with a "red hot" mini, its got a std 998cc engine.
I am looking to increase its power on a budget and in a way that wont increase my insurance to much has anyone got any ideas or tips to help me out. thanks
dan

Attached Files

#2 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

stg 1 kit, this is a K&N filter, a LCB and decent exharust system...

this shoudl give a slight power increse.

Or if you want MORE, go for a "stg" head... for example a Stage 2/3 head...

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

well, it might be worth you spending a bit of time searching through the projects part of the forum to see what other people have done.

I would think a Stage 1 kit from someone like Minispares would be a good start point, but I am not sure how it would effect the insurance.

#4 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

the best way to get more power to start with is make sure the standard car you have is working correctly

dave

#5 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:48 PM

thanks ill look into a Stage 1 kit. As far as i know everything on the car is workin but ill get it all checked out soon

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:59 PM

Yes get a stage 1 kit and get it properly tuned. A stage 1 won't affect your insurance but you should check whether they mind and make sure they know it's been fitted. A modified head will definitely increase your insurance with most providers. A stage 1 will definitely increase the power available by 10 to 15%. Get a kit from Minispares, it's the best developed one available.

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

A stage 1 won't affect your insurance

In what way? Some companies don't like you modifying the engine at all, and won't insure you if you do, others will increase your premium when you go beyond a certain point, I think its 15% or 20% increase on engine output with HIC?

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

I think its 15% or 20% increase on engine output with HIC?

yes it is jammy :cheese:

#9 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

I think its 15% or 20% increase on engine output with HIC?

yes it is jammy :cheese:

what is standard BHP on a 998cc '84 city E?? Mine will be 14% more power than that when it is finished :fear:

#10 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

Around 35-40 ish I think for a 998...

Imagine what my engine is going be :S help! Glup!

#11 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

depends on the 998 some a plus 998s put out 48bhp from the factory. as for running correctly 99% or the cars on the road have poor valve seal not saying they are down on comprestion much but they are, if the valves are all reseated correctly gains of 5-7bhp can be made quid easily and thats only on a 1275 thats done 6-10,000 miles.

So a standard mini with standard pipe and cast iron manfold running correctly can put out more power than a worn 998 mini with a stage one easily

my 2p's worth and what do i know

dave

#12 dan_g

dan_g

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

thanks, i think the first step that i will do is to get all the valves reseated otherwise im just losing out an easy power gain

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Well, I've been through this before but here we go again.

A stage 1 kit consists largely of service parts. Air filters, exhausts and carb needles are considered to be service parts as they suffer wear and tear and need replacing during the life of a car. The law says that neither warranties on cars or insurers can demand that genuine replacement parts are used to replace service items, provided that the parts used are designed to fit the car. So in a stage 1 kit it's really only the inlet manifold that the insurance company are allowed to put a restriction on. So most insurers don't car about stage 1 kits but you should always check. The way the increase in engine power is produced is just as important to insurers as the amount of increase.
To set a limit at 15% over standard is ludicrous as there are many ways of calculating horsepower (you can't measure power, only torque and you have to arrive at power by calculation), many different rolling roads and there are strict rules governing the way a manufacturer has to arrive at their quoted power figure for a car that a rolling road doesn't have to apply and would cost you a lot to replicate in the test. So you could get 3 to 5% more than standard without doing anything but just by doing a less strict test and redoing the maths.

And Dave's quite right of course, you should make sure your car is in good health first before doing anything else.

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

To set a limit at 15% over standard is ludicrous

Completely agree, but I've phoned HIC on *many* occasions, and they've said that my premium won't increase until I hit a certain threshold, which I'm pretty sure was 15%, and they also said that a portion of the premium was calculated based on certain 'bhp bands', kinda like council tax. Can't be a very accurate way of calculating a premium, and how much of a baring it has on the final premium it has I don't know, but thats what I was told directly fro HIC.

#15 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:11 PM

I think tho we have to be aware that over the years the engine will loose some bhp and putting on the stage one kit may only bring it back to its original bhp? So i would condsider getting the engine serviced and looked at before rushing in! You may find you will have to spend money on other important things, to get it running properly. Take ya time on this its a big investment im goint to be forking out over 1500 quid in the next few months "so get it right first time" and you will be laughing later on. Plus you will enjoy it more. :gimme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users