12 replies to this topic

#1 Faultless

Faultless

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hi ive had a search on fitting this but no one seems to have the same problem with fitting as i am?

Ive removed the three thermostat bolts and now the problems start:

Where does the big bracket with the cut for thermostat housing go? i have tried putting it on top of the thermostat but then there is a few big/thick pipes in the way and no matter how hard i try moving them once it is in place non of the holes line up due to the pipes pusing the bracket out and wen i push them back they kink.

I cannot see where the other bracket goes either and due to there being a million bits of plastic and pipes in the way on an injection mini im guessing i have to remove a fair bit to see where. so what needs to be removed.

i now feel like a complete co*k because it looks simple but now cant fit it seems like i was wrong

thanks Lee

#2 Faultless

Faultless

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

my engine bay with lots of pipes

Attached Files

#3 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

Well first of all you really need the "Injection Type, part number: - EL59, Ultimate Engine Steady" because the bracket that fits on your thermostat housing, actually fits between the flange of the housing and not on top.

So you'll be wanting to buy some new cork thermostat housing gaskets too.

I've got one fitted to my Mini, but I've heard lots of people claim that their not necessary for a road going Mini and they just get in the way too. Plus you should fit new bushes to all your existing steady bushes anyway and not rely on an ultimate steady because it can shear your thermostat housing bolts if it's the only steady doing all the work.

Some people claim Polyflex bushes are the best modified type to fit, where as others claim that original bushes are best, anyway the choice is up to the Mini owner, but if your going to have a tough time fitting the ultimate steady and you don't really need it then I wouldn't bother.

#4 Faultless

Faultless

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

thanks for reply i wanted to fit it as a temp engine steady as the bottom one at rear(i think) is broken so i wanted to fit this to get me around until the weekend when i can take it to get fixed. Lee

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

Do you have a steady at the bottom at the back? Its not a standard fit item if you do.

Anyway, yes, you need the specific one for the injection mini, its a bit of a bugger to get it to fit, but it does and everything is still in its original place. The big bracket fits between the head and the sandwich plate, not between the sandwich plate and thermostat housing.

You may have to fettle it a little to get the holes to line up right on the thermostat housing, and then work out how to thread the tie bar through the hoses to the bulkhead.

One thing to watch is that you have the excess tie bar at the bulkhead end.

I'll take some pictures of mine tomorrow

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

I will take a piccie, honest :thumbsup:

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

Its all a bit crammed in the engine bay of the SPi as you already know :xxx:

Its a bit difficult to see but there is a path for the steady bar to pass through without much of a problem.

Hop it helps you.

You will need to fettle the bracket on the engine though, you may need to ben the part where it bolts to the exhaust stud. Remove, the breather rail and refit the nut. Fit the steady bracket, refit the breather bar and use another nut to fix them in place.

#8 Commited

Commited

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

Good stuff, cheers lads :(

#9 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

Ahh I have one of these to fit. I was worried about the thermostat bolts shearing off though so I postponed fitment ^_^

#10 furikuri

furikuri

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:05 PM

As i said in the other topic.
I recommend the http://www.avonbar.co.uk ultimate steady
Its easy as to fit!! and it uses the waterpump bracket intesad of the thermostat.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 01 May 2007 - 05:52 PM.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

As said in the other topic

MMMM, Im not convinced by the two single shear bolts of the tie bar :thumbsup: Looks good though and will function well :D

#12 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Owners Club of WA

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

sorry to bring this up again, im fitting a steady as well (dont worry,ive renewed all my bushes etc ). Just adding it for extra...well steadiness lol. so it goes between the head and thermostat plate? 2 gaskets needed then,one top one bottom? also,do i need longer bolts for the thermo? and it uses the bolts already on the bulk head,just need to loosen them?thanx folks.

ps.just as i mention gasket, and i know its dam all to do with an engine steady, but im fitting a cat to back maniflow system,do i need a gasket for between the cat and new section? cheerz

Edited by tony kenobi, 04 June 2007 - 12:19 PM.

#13 lozzy92

lozzy92

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

So yea i get that one part of it goes between the head and the thermostat ,but where does the other part fit ( and how ) to the bulk head ?? Is it a case of undoing something thats already there or have you got to make new holes in your car ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users