Photo
- - - - -

Supercharged Mini Project Not A Bmw Charger!

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#1 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

Well hi to all you Mini fans... here's my project building a 1970 Mini shell from scratch

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

who's mad :- and yes the roof has gone as well :goaway:

Edited by Matrix, 20 May 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#2 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

WOW!!
Thats one major challenge!!

Might of been easier/cheaper to buy a new shell?

#3 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

I did think about a shell but if you look at the front its not going to be std ! and cutting up a new shell at £3k+ brought a tear to my eye...repanel under £1k :- and I know its welded properly hehe I have seen lots of BMH shells and they aint great. Plus I have nerer took one this far before and its been fun

#4 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

Wow! that is one hell of a project! you must be a real sucker for punishment :- What is the overall plan? sounds like its going to be pretty special

#5 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

Wow you must be a pro welder after all of that, great work! and there is the added bonus of of you keeping another mini on the road.

Great work!

#6 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

its beat watching TV lol, the car is a mk3 S and the overall plan...humm not really to sure :- it started as a fast road/track car but got a really bad knock about 7 years ago at Truxton on a track day...rear ended then T boned by a novice..oops the car had only just been finished about 4 months and was awesome. I then moved house and had another kiddy so its been sitting there looking very sorry for itself since. I have owned it for 18 years now so it kinda like an old friend..lol been collecting goodies for it for a few year's so not to sure how it will end up?

Here's the recently rebuilt motor 1293cc Howley special and a few other bits

Posted Image

Posted Image

coil over's all round and the roof and front are carbon fibre

Edited by Matrix, 20 May 2009 - 01:50 PM.

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:40 AM

so is that a gen cooper s engine?

#8 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

its all cooper s bar the box which is a rod change now not remote s/c dog with a lsd and so on :( also rebuilding a 1970 1275 GT I will pop some pics of that up when I get a mo.

Edited by Matrix, 02 April 2007 - 08:49 PM.

#9 GW

GW

Previously Small Bore Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

I have owned it for 18 years now so it kinda like an old friend..lol been collecting goodies for it for a few year's so not to sure how it will end up?

That is some real dedication. I really admire the determination in a project of this scale!

#10 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

I have owned it for 18 years now so it kinda like an old friend..lol been collecting goodies for it for a few year's so not to sure how it will end up?

That is some real dedication. I really admire the determination in a project of this scale!

Thanks for that, I do enjoy working with really bad one's its more of a challenge. Its a great sence of achivement when it done as well. I am very lucky to be able to do all the work myself, I hate to think what it would cost to have it done for you !
I will try get some more photo's up of the progress and the GT as well ^_^

#11 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

very nice dude

#12 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:00 AM

sounds like this could be a good project.

ill keep an eye on this one.

good luck with it buddy

J

#13 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

I did say I would put some pic's of ERNIE the 70's 1275 GT so here you go, he's in a bad way as you can see and hasn't been run for almost 18 year's. This car was given to me by a friend of a friend, it belonged to her son who was killed in the Falklands war and it was just left as a memory of him... quite sad really and I promissed I would restore him to his former glory... 8k on the clock and total origianal!

Posted Image

did a bit on the other one as well today and found my brake set up which has been lost for about a year...lol I have to many parts after 20 years

Posted Image

need a bit of a clear out now so I can paint

Edited by Matrix, 20 May 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#14 MINIMON

MINIMON

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hi mate, lookin good im definatly going to be keeping an eye on this, but i hope your fitting a cage with that c/f roof????
Other than that i no completely where your coming from saying that the welding on the bmh shells aint that good thats why i aint reshelled

Good luck mate

#15 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

yes indeed there's a full cage going in front +rear+doors+dash the roof isn't very structual really the cant rail does all the work... the roof came off because it had an add sun roof and I couldn't get any seals for it plus a carbon roof showing weave is cool....lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users