#1 Avl_Paul

Avl_Paul

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

Hey folks,

Edit - deleted the question about the fuel pump wiring. I figured that out tonight. It was just a loose connectin.

Still have 2 questions:

1) Does a coded ECU (like the MNE101170) lock out the fuel injection system (fuel pump + injector) if it doesn't receive the code from the immobolizer?

2) How different area the ECU wiring harnesses for the late Mii SPI's from the earlier ones? Ie. my should have had the MNE101170 or MNE 101070 ECU. I have plugged in a borrowed ECU (no part number showing) and it appears to be a coded module. It runs the stepper motor correctly, turns on the main relay when keyed on, turns on the fuel pump relay for a few second after key on, etc. Are these signs that this ECU is likely the right version for my model? Or would any SPI do these things?

I borrowed an ECU to see if that solved my other problems and it appears like it solve my issues!!!! The guy that loaned it thought it was from a 95 Mini Cooper like mine but not certain. Now the ECU controls the stepper motor perfectly on key off,, runs the fuel pump for a few secs, AND the ECU turns off the Main Relay when you key off (my ECU did neither). But the engine now will crank but it refuses to fire up. I suspect that this borrowed ECU might be programmed for a different immobolizer code. Anyway to test this?

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by Avl_Paul, 17 February 2008 - 03:54 AM.

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

1) Does a coded ECU (like the MNE101170) lock out the fuel injection system (fuel pump + injector) if it doesn't receive the code from the immobolizer?
Yes

2) How different are the ECU wiring harnesses for the late Mini SPI's from the earlier ones? Ie. mine should have had the MNE101170 or MNE 101070 ECU. I have plugged in a borrowed ECU (no part number showing) and it appears to be a coded module. It runs the stepper motor correctly, turns on the main relay when keyed on, turns on the fuel pump relay for a few second after key on, etc. Are these signs that this ECU is likely the right version for my model? Or would any SPI do these things?
Prety much any ECU for the SPi, which ever car (i run a Rover Metro 1.4GTi ECU from completely different engine) will work to some extent, its down to the fueling and ignition maps that really make up the difference, as long as the number codes are 6 digit (i havent even bothered with the five digit code ECUs)

Just so you are aware, there are two styles of ECU part numbers. ALL SPi ECUs start MNE, early ECUs then used a five digit number, we are not interested in these, the later ECUs use a six digit number and are more logical arangement. of all the ECUs I have come across, the late ECUs numerical code starts 101, the next digit, is 0 for uncoded, and 1 for coded, the next two digits determines the Engine. in the case of the mini 70 is the Cooper and 50 is the non cooper

I supose one way to determine if your car should have a coded ECU is if you have a factory fit alarm and fob. Behind the dash on the bulkead, the Alarm/ Imobiliser is fixed. Its a black box about 4x6 inches. If there is an alarm/imobiliser, there will be a white sticker on it with a large Letter circled in black, this letter denotes the type of alarm and the region. I do not know any more than that regarding these, other than i believe the alarm to send a digital signal to the ECU and the ECU a signal to the alarm (logical, but i have not yet been able to satisfactoraly confirm this) . This prevents any one device being replaced to try and drive the car away. Having said that, I have not had the experience to play with these, i myself am looking for an alarm box and fob at least to give my car at least a little security. When I find one, I can play. The uncoded ECU should work irespective of the alarm.

One thing that does prevent injector or spark if everything else is working, is a faulty crankshaft position sensor.

#3 Avl_Paul

Avl_Paul

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

Yes, my car is definitely se up coded with immobolizer - I just am not certain what PN ECUs that I have as neither of them has a proper part number label. I'm sending this replacement ECU to be synchronized with my immbolizer and key fob.

Is there any way to determine what PN ECU I have from the white sticker label on the ECU connector itself - for example, the original one in the car was "11A2302273"?

#4 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

would a coded ecu work on an uncoded car though? ie my car has an mne 101070 ecu and single button fob but i also have a mne 101170 (from an equinox) both are single plug am i correct in reading your post that it woul work on my car (only got it as a spare)

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

Alarm ECU and Engine ECU are a matched pair when they are coded. Only the ECU that matches the alarm ECU. If you have an alarm and fit an uncoded ECU, as far as I am aware, it should work. If you fit an other coded ECU it will not work as the codes do not match.

Like wise is you have a car without an alarm, and fit a coded ECU it should not work.

This is the whole point of coding these things, it prevents you fitting any ecu you want to try and steel the thing because you dont have the key fob.

#6 Avl_Paul

Avl_Paul

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:18 PM

Minimat,

You could get your coded MNE101170 ECU uncoded - there are several businesses in England that do it and one guy on ebay that is advertising for 30 GBP. That would give you the backup ECU you want. I've no idea if your car would have the wiring for the immobolizer (seems doubtful) but the other option would be to get an immobolizer and fob and have them programmed to be synchronized to your backup ECU. Seems a much harder path....

I've gotten my hands on a replacement MNE101170 so I will be having it coded to my immobolizer (25GBP) and then keep an eye out for an uncoded unit as a backup.

#7 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

my mne 101070 ecu is not coded an my car has the old style 3as alarm (single button) i know it is not coded as i got another 3as alarm ecu and fob from a scrap metro (rover 100) plugged it into my mini and it works fine so as they are not coded to my car i am under the impression that any single plug mini ecu like my 101170 should work on my car.all later two button 5as alarms are coded.

#8 Avl_Paul

Avl_Paul

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

The single connector MNE101170 is the CODED version of your MNE101070. I have a later model SPI with the 5AS alarm unit and the 2-button fob and it uses the 101170. You can try it (it is easy enough to plug it in) but it won't work run the fuel injector/fuel pump after starting the engine unless the coding has been removed.

my mne 101070 ecu is not coded an my car has the old style 3as alarm (single button) i know it is not coded as i got another 3as alarm ecu and fob from a scrap metro (rover 100) plugged it into my mini and it works fine so as they are not coded to my car i am under the impression that any single plug mini ecu like my 101170 should work on my car.all later two button 5as alarms are coded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users