#1 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

I have just checked my break pads for wear and for some reason they are really uneaven.

Drivers side: On of the pad looks almost new - 8mm of pad and the other is almost down to nothing!

Passenger side: Uneaven but no wear near as bad as the other side. Say 7mm to 4/5mm.

The calipers are fairly new - replaced approx. 2 years ago

What is the likely cause of this.

Pistons sticking?
Problem with the disc?

I think im going to book it in at a garage to get it sorted (I dont know enough about brakes to start messing with them safely) but wanted to know if it was a common problem. My next pads will be Green Stuff and I dont want them all messed up.

Cheers,

Charlie

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:22 AM

I'd say it would have to be sticky pistons, or possibly air in the system? (not sure on that one though!). Which pads are wearing quicker, the 'inner' or 'outer' ones?

#3 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:27 AM

The inner pads. Cheers, I forgot to mention that! So that means.....

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

hmmm......i've never come across the problem before, but I'm just wondering if there's air behind the outer pistons, which, because they're closest to the bleed nipple, can't go anywhere else? Like I said, thats only a hypothetical slightly educatedguess, as I've never heard of it before!

Have you tried giving the brakes a bit of a bleed? Its a piece of cake to do.

Otherwise i'd have to say sticky or siezed pistons, but after only 2 years it seems unlikely.....

#5 evolotion

evolotion

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:24 PM

id say sticky pistons too .. only reason iv ever had this happen before anyways.

#6 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

Another question.

If Im going for Green Stuff pads I dont need to upgrade anything else do I? They are just direct replacements for the pads??

#7 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

are greenstuffs the ones that are designed to have their optimal performance at higher temperature than standard pads? if so then a) be aware that at normal temps they might not be as effective as standard pads and B) just make sure the fluids good quality as poor quality+old stuff has lower boiling point. Thats all I'd've thought, unless you want to go for vented discs air ducting and all that malarky!

#8 soopercooper

soopercooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:26 PM

are greenstuffs the ones that are designed to have their optimal performance at higher temperature than standard pads? if so then a) be aware that at normal temps they might not be as effective as standard pads and B) just make sure the fluids good quality as poor quality+old stuff has lower boiling point. Thats all I'd've thought, unless you want to go for vented discs air ducting and all that malarky!

I bought greenstuffs as they were said to operate better at lower temperatures....

Has to be said, the brakes to feel a lot better, but how much of that is just down to the fact they are new pads, I don't know...

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

Greenstuff IMO are way too hard for road, Blackstuff is more appropriate.. but saying that I use Mintex and have never had a problem...

Use a minimum of dot 4 brake fluid, but never mix, if you're going to use dot 5, you'd be better bleeding the entire system removing all the old fluid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users