17 replies to this topic

#1 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

Erk... I've finally pulled together the cash to buy my first ever mini!... i have read the FAQ about first time buying which is really really useful, but i have a wee question...

I can only afford around 1500 quid, which seems to mean that i'm looking at early 90s models like Sprites etc.... my question is...

How much rust would be fair to expect on a mini around this age and at that sort of price. Should I hold out for one with very little rust or is that just wishful thinking?

Mods, feel free to move this to a "dumb newbies" section if i'm in the wrong place!

Cheers

#2 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

you can get a pretty good condition mini for that dort of money, put it this way, i have a budget of 300 for a decent condition mini! :nugget:
you should find one with ease, expect the normal places for rust, paint bubbling around windows, rust showing under headlights, bottom of doors, a panels...but for 1500 you could find one in very good condition!!!

good luck, sam! :)

#3 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

Brilliant! I'm really glad i asked that then as i was starting to think a fair bit of rust would be mandatory... Am going to see a K reg sprite tomorrow, 56k miles and apparently not a spot of rust on it.... hopefully that won;t turn out to be a lie. its listed at £1500. Thats not much info i know, but can anyone tell from that if it sounds like a reasonable price (very approx)

#4 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

check the subframes and floors, they are very prone to rust too!! :nugget:

good luck with the mini! :)

#5 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:52 PM

thanks for the help!

#6 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:01 PM

no problem dude, but dont rush in to things and buy the first mini you see, take your time untill you find the best one for your money!! :)

#7 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:20 PM

make sure you get under the back and check the rear subframe and another good place to check is the rear pockets! lift the card liners out of the way and check that there isn't loads fo rust in there too!

#8 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

So i know very little, but it seems that if you check all the various cheeky rust spots, and find it all looking good... then youv'e got yourself a decent buy around that price? assuming that all the moving bits seem to be in working order....

obviously i'm simplifying a lot, but people really seem to be a LOT more worried about the rust that anything else...

#9 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:44 PM

the best identifier is these words in the advert ... 12 months MOT!
if not then ask if the owner would be willing to take it for one!
I once asked someone to do it and paid for the test, the car failed abismally but I only lost out on £40 and was happy to take the hit rather than be stuck witha lemon!

#10 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

great idea, i was thinking of suggesting that. Depending on the bodywork, i may suggest a low offer without MOT, or a close to asking price offer if he sticks it through...

#11 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:46 PM

If you want cheaper insurance, try and get a pre-1990 car. That way it qualifies for classic insurance :wink:
Good luck with the car u r looking at tho :)

#12 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

be wary about buying a car with 12 months MOT if you're slightly inexperienced at what to look for.

Sometimes a car will *just* scrape through an MOT, with plenty of advisories, and the owner will be told that it'll need a lot of work to get it through next time. So they hurriedly sell with the full 12 months hoping people won't notice the problems.

If you can, get someone to come with you, even if they're not experienced with Mini's, 2 pairs of eyes can be better than 1.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic there, I'm just saying that its always a possibility to bear in mind. :))

Tom

#13 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:39 PM

The Clubbie that I went to see had a new MOT. God knows how it got it tho'.

I reckon the bloke had some sort of deal going with the Test Centre. Deffo needed some major surgery soon.

Just being Devils Advocate mind you. :)

#14 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:06 PM

Cheers for all the advice....

just to let you know, i went to see the mini today.... the body was in excellent condition... checked all the places that I was advised to by the lovely people in this forum! it all looked pretty good... drove well etc, loads of paperwork and stuff blah blah blah... took a guy who knows a bit about engines and he seemed to think it was all good....

guy was selling it for his daughter, didn't want to put it through its MOT... because that made me a tad suspicious i ummed and arred and ended up getting it for 300 under the asking price... which hopefully will cover any potential MOT problems :nugget:

anyway, upshot is i own by first ever mini! thanks all for the help, i imagine i'll be on to ask all about modding soon... heh heh

#15 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

YAY!!!!!! Bet ur pleased?? U'll have to let us see some pics when uv got it!

When do u pick it up?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users