#1 dave1324

dave1324

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Local Club: minis 'n' oatcakes

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

what would be the best insurer to go with? im 16 at the moment will be 17 in march and want to know what will the best insurance provider to go with is? i have been quoted £1750 on a provisional third party fire and theft and £2200 on a full liscence third part fire and theft is there anyone cheaper ?

thanks

sorry meant to put best mini insurance for young driver.

Edited by dave1324, 01 December 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#2 sjarvis100

sjarvis100

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

try the search mate...

but quinne is very good for learners, just try the comparison sites!

#3 Dan6061

Dan6061

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Just shop around! Entirely depends on your area, where it's being kept overnight, all sorts!

I got my best quote with Quinn Direct. Currently paying just under £1000, comprehensive cover! On a 1275 Sidewalk Spi. Although i'm 18 with 1years no claims..

#4 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Best quotes I've had were from Norwich Union, who I'm with now. My first year was £1800, but this year it's £900, fully comp (the only way IMO) Modified wheels, brakes and retro stickers declared. 18 years old, 1 years no claims on a 1992 SPi Cooper

:)

I never recommend the comparison sites... i'm still getting quotes of £3000 minimum on there, with no mods! lol

#5 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:25 PM

My son is your age and we shopped around for someone to cover him for a modified Mk1. Footman James are the only people who will offer cover for him. This is a classic policy ( no no claims bonus) Fully comp £1100

#6 dave1324

dave1324

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

My son is your age and we shopped around for someone to cover him for a modified Mk1. Footman James are the only people who will offer cover for him. This is a classic policy ( no no claims bonus) Fully comp £1100

just looked on their site and it says that i have to have a full uk liscence for 5+ years and no one under 25 years cannot get a quote from them? did you rinbg them ?

thanks

#7 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

When I was going to get a Mini I got a quote for £1088 TPFF on a completely standard 1973 Mini 1000.
But I decided I wanted a modern car and got a Punto....£1569 a year :withstupid: Oh well

A 17 year old getting insured is not going to be cheap on any car...

Both direct line quotes, others struggled to beat - you wont find Direct Line on comparison sites either so ring them up :dontgetit:

#8 sjarvis100

sjarvis100

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

tommy may have put the insurance in his name and his son as a named driver

#9 dave1324

dave1324

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

tommy may have put the insurance in his name and his son as a named driver

thats what i thought but it says no one under 25 can join the policy ? :dontgetit:

#10 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

As a new driver your quote can vary hugely so may I suggest shopping around. If you search "the insurance thread" on TMF's handy search function you will find a lovely list of Mini-friendly insurance companies.

Your best bet is NOT to get a classic policy as it will be more beneficial for you to earn some no claims bonus which will bring future policies down.

Regarding Footman James - they sell insurance to under 25s over the phone, but not online.

Please note the cheapest quote is not necessarily the best, make sure you know what you are getting (legal cover, personal injury, breakdown) and check the excesses! No point saving £50 on the premium if you have to pay an extra £300 in the event of an accident :dontgetit:

Anyway as I said, shop around. Might be worth looking nearer the time as well because premiums change.

#11 john1.2pearl

john1.2pearl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

As a new driver your quote can vary hugely so may I suggest shopping around. If you search "the insurance thread" on TMF's handy search function you will find a lovely list of Mini-friendly insurance companies.

Your best bet is NOT to get a classic policy as it will be more beneficial for you to earn some no claims bonus which will bring future policies down.

Regarding Footman James - they sell insurance to under 25s over the phone, but not online.

Please note the cheapest quote is not necessarily the best, make sure you know what you are getting (legal cover, personal injury, breakdown) and check the excesses! No point saving £50 on the premium if you have to pay an extra £300 in the event of an accident :dontgetit:

Anyway as I said, shop around. Might be worth looking nearer the time as well because premiums change.

+1 :withstupid:

#12 Goldie1275

Goldie1275

Brilliant With Her Baubles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Local Club: Surrey Hills Mini Group

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

Best insurance quote we got for classic insurance, fully comp and fixed price was "Lancaster insurance" found them on confused.com although they are a classic insurance they are one of the few that dont require all drivers to be over the age of 25. also when my partner and i got the policy i hadnt been driving more than 5months.
hope that helps.
they quoted us £500 with me of 21 driving for 5months (but insured also on another car), my partner is 25 driving since 17 no no claims. fixed value of £6,000 on the car too. (also limited milage) if yur only 16/17 its probs best to have another on yur policy otherwise it may become more expensive than yur mini!

otherwise buy a fiat cinquecento (as i have!) for £75 and then get it insured for £216 with elephant.co.uk ahaha x

EDIT - Lancaster insurance gives no claims bonuses.

Edited by Goldie1275, 04 December 2008 - 11:47 AM.

#13 richardsoniscool

richardsoniscool

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Local Club: Bury Mini Club

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

footman james classic insurance cheapest i found with breakdown cover, give them a CALL im only 19 been driving a year but gave me a quote. came to £550 unlimited milage BUT you dont get any no claims.

WHOOPS just re posted what minili said so yes as above, o and only £75 excess legal cover EU cover ETC so quite good really

Edited by richardsoniscool, 01 December 2008 - 11:40 PM.

#14 Beddo88

Beddo88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Local Club: not yet..

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

I'd like to double the footman james boat, £300, 1 years no claims etc. (im 20) But.. no no claims. which is a bummer.

My first years insurance was with tesco, they seem to offer some very cheap quotes, but as said, shop around, u'll save hundreds!!

#15 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Just to bring this back up a sec, im 18, and Ive been shopping around tonight for some insurance for my project (998 city) and like many others found footman james really really really good. £375 third party £700 & something fuly comp, but can only have classic insurance unless over 25. So shopped around for more, getting stupid quotes like £2600 etc. Then I phoned the post office who gave me a quote of £2700!, but the woman was very helpful and I told her about the quote off F & J and she said I should bite their arm off, because even though its a classic policy and I will get no ncb it wouldn't make hardly any difference on the premiums until your 24/25, probs be a few hundred quid if anything so she adivsed me to go with them.

So im going on a classic policy then when im 25 start my own because thats when the premiums will drop quite alot.

Paul.

Edited by Pauly, 03 December 2008 - 08:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users