27 replies to this topic

#1 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

I have bought some of these BUT they have 2 places to wire them up. One that says 'tweeter' and one that says 'woofer'. You also get 2 box things (crossover?) which wire up to the HU but then split off into 2 speaker cables...are you still with me?
well, can I juts wire in from the HU to the 'woofer' connection or do I have to use the crossovers???? Im running no amp at the mo.

I apologise for my lack of ICE knowledge and my descriptions!

I just want to listen to music in my car!!

for some extra help heres a pic of the connections - HERE

Cheers!

#2 ninham

ninham

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Local Club: Anglian Mini Club

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

I think these are the same as my 6.5" components. not 100% sure.

What have you got on the crossovers?

#3 Zacherius

Zacherius

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Local Club: M4MINIS

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

I have bought some of these BUT they have 2 places to wire them up. One that says 'tweeter' and one that says 'woofer'. You also get 2 box things (crossover?) which wire up to the HU but then split off into 2 speaker cables...are you still with me?
well, can I juts wire in from the HU to the 'woofer' connection or do I have to use the crossovers???? Im running no amp at the mo.

I apologise for my lack of ICE knowledge and my descriptions!

I just want to listen to music in my car!!

for some extra help heres a pic of the connections - HERE

Cheers!

I can let you know in about 1 hour when I get home. Good choice though. QB69's are supposed to be really good. I was going to get them but ended up winning a brand new set of FLI for 1pence on ebay ! so can't complain..

#4 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

Ive just been reading some reviews :cry: sounds like you need an amp for their best performance...oh well maybe a thing for the future. Any good amps for cheap? what to go for?

#5 Zacherius

Zacherius

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Local Club: M4MINIS

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Take a look at -

http://www.vibe-usa....manual_qb69.pdf

Cheers

Matt

#6 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Crossovers take an input (in your case from the HU), filter this signal and splits into two - usually marked tweeter and woofer on the crossover. You attach the speakers to these - not how you've described as then you'd be attaching an input signal to the output from the crossover and it won't work!
My picture below pretty much shows how to wire up the crossover if you're interested:
Posted Image

In a basic non-amped set up I'd be tempted not to use a crossover - it uses a lot more wiring, and it can be a pain in the ass to find a place to mount the crossovers.

#7 lorry

lorry

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

You will def need an amp to run these properly

#8 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

Yep, definately need an amp to run these, i have a 4 channel amp to run them, 1 channel per woofer/tweeter. I didn't bother with the cross over.

#9 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone! I dont really understand some of it lol but Ive decided Im going to get an amp after xmas - dont want to spend alot really, maybe around £50-60. Any recommendations??

cheers

#10 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone! I dont really understand some of it lol but Ive decided Im going to get an amp after xmas - dont want to spend alot really, maybe around £50-60. Any recommendations??

cheers

stay with vibe and hit the halfrauds sale - I noticed yesterday that they're selling the Q's for 50 quid a pair and i was tempted to get 2 more. I may be wrong but i think Fli is made by vibe as well ?

#11 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

cheers

stay with vibe and hit the halfrauds sale - I noticed yesterday that they're selling the Q's for 50 quid a pair and i was tempted to get 2 more. I may be wrong but i think Fli is made by vibe as well ?

Theres a Vibe Slick (think thats what its called) amp for £65...might go for that.

As for Fli, I think it is Vibe, is it any good? I get the impression its a bit cheap but not sure why! a bit like Mutant and makes like that

#12 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

Well got my Vibes fitted finally but sounded just as carp as my cheap sony ones! So been at halfords looking at headunits and went for the £50 Kenwood one - what a difference, they sounds much much better. I also picked up a cheap Fli 400s amp while I was there (ex display I think) however, it came with no instructions or wiring so its not ready to be installed yet! (looking at the connections and switched on it im quite scared actually!)
Its just a two channel so Im going to run my Vibes off it for now - will this be alright? (match the wattages or something Ive heard???)

Then maybe look into getting a sub later on when I have more money.

Cheers

EDIT: Just looking at amp wiring kits, am I better off getting a Fli one to match the amp or does it not matter? and what does the gauge number mean? theres 4, 8 or 10 - but which!!

thanks again!

Edited by MGMT, 26 December 2008 - 06:27 PM.

#13 daz7505

daz7505

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

Well got my Vibes fitted finally but sounded just as carp as my cheap sony ones! So been at halfords looking at headunits and went for the £50 Kenwood one - what a difference, they sounds much much better. I also picked up a cheap Fli 400s amp while I was there (ex display I think) however, it came with no instructions or wiring so its not ready to be installed yet! (looking at the connections and switched on it im quite scared actually!)
Its just a two channel so Im going to run my Vibes off it for now - will this be alright? (match the wattages or something Ive heard???)

Cheers

EDIT: Just looking at amp wiring kits, am I better off getting a Fli one to match the amp or does it not matter? and what does the gauge number mean? theres 4, 8 or 10 - but which!!

thanks again!

amp kits, loads of different companies make them, dont matter who makes it, it matters on size. 10 gauge is *melon*, 8 gauge is just about acceptable. always try to go for 4 gauge or thicker.
think of water running thru a hole. small hole, and the water just drips thru. large hole, and it pours thru. this is the princple idea with amp kits. the bigger the better for getting your power thru to your amp.

for your set up, 8 gauge will be ok, but 4 gauge is better. you will not need anything thicker.

amp connections

the connections will be 12v power, this is where the nice thick cable from your battery goes to, make sure it is fused as close as poss to battery.

earth connection. another piece of nice thick wire straight to the chassis. make this wire as short as poss and make sure were you connect it that it is a good quality earth.

then you have the remote connection. this is generally a thin blue wire. does not need to be thicker than what comes in your amp kit. this wire needs to goto the back of your head unit. on the back of the head unit, your instructions will tell you which wire to connect to on the stereo, generally blue, or blue white.

next you will have 2 rca inputs, one red and one white. get your set of rca leads, connect to these points on amp, and then on back of stereo you should have the same connections, plug them in. depending on how many rca outputs your stereo as depends on where you plug them in. generally you wil have only one pair, marked rear.

next is your speaker out puts, left pos and neg, and right pos and neg. this is pretty self explanatory, pos to pos, neg to neg.

once you have all thiese connections wired up, thats your amp wired. as for settings. you should have a switch with 2 or 3 settings on it, high pass, low pass and full. set this to full.

you will also have a frequency dial, measured in hertz. you want this around about 80 to 150hz, 120hz is a good all round setting.

on your stereo, fade the sound to the rear, so that all you can hear are your vibes. turn the gain down on the amp to minimum, then turn your volume all the way up on the stereo, you should be able to hear your vibes, but not very loud. now go back to the gain control on the amp, and slowly turn it up untill your speakers start to distort. once they start distorting, then turn the gain down a tiny bit. thats your amp set up.

and before any one starts going on about using meters and *melon* for setting up the amp. this amp and speaker set up is not sq compition equipment and is not needed to be so precisely set up. this way i have just described to set up is a quick way i have set up hundreds of amps over the years with out any problems or customer complaints. and very easy for any one to set there stuff up without professional help.

Edited by daz7505, 26 December 2008 - 11:50 PM.

#14 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

Cheers

thanks again!

amp kits, loads of different companies make them, dont matter who makes it, it matters on size. 10 gauge is *melon*, 8 gauge is just about acceptable. always try to go for 4 gauge or thicker.
think of water running thru a hole. small hole, and the water just drips thru. large hole, and it pours thru. this is the princple idea with amp kits. the bigger the better for getting your power thru to your amp.

for your set up, 8 gauge will be ok, but 4 gauge is better. you will not need anything thicker.

amp connections

the connections will be 12v power, this is where the nice thick cable from your battery goes to, make sure it is fused as close as poss to battery.

earth connection. another piece of nice thick wire straight to the chassis. make this wire as short as poss and make sure were you connect it that it is a good quality earth.

then you have the remote connection. this is generally a thin blue wire. does not need to be thicker than what comes in your amp kit. this wire needs to goto the back of your head unit. on the back of the head unit, your instructions will tell you which wire to connect to on the stereo, generally blue, or blue white.

next you will have 2 rca inputs, one red and one white. get your set of rca leads, connect to these points on amp, and then on back of stereo you should have the same connections, plug them in. depending on how many rca outputs your stereo as depends on where you plug them in. generally you wil have only one pair, marked rear.

next is your speaker out puts, left pos and neg, and right pos and neg. this is pretty self explanatory, pos to pos, neg to neg.

once you have all thiese connections wired up, thats your amp wired. as for settings. you should have a switch with 2 or 3 settings on it, high pass, low pass and full. set this to full.

you will also have a frequency dial, measured in hertz. you want this around about 80 to 150hz, 120hz is a good all round setting.

on your stereo, fade the sound to the rear, so that all you can hear are your vibes. turn the gain down on the amp to minimum, then turn your volume all the way up on the stereo, you should be able to hear your vibes, but not very loud. now go back to the gain control on the amp, and slowly turn it up untill your speakers start to distort. once they start distorting, then turn the gain down a tiny bit. thats your amp set up.

and before any one starts going on about using meters and *melon* for setting up the amp. this amp and speaker set up is not sq compition equipment and is not needed to be so precisely set up. this way i have just described to set up is a quick way i have set up hundreds of amps over the years with out any problems or customer complaints. and very easy for any one to set there stuff up without professional help.

Thanks for that!!!! Very detailed indeed! doesnt sound as bad as I was making it out now - actually sounds quite simple!

Cheers! :)

#15 daz7505

daz7505

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Cheers

thanks again!

amp connections

Thanks for that!!!! Very detailed indeed! doesnt sound as bad as I was making it out now - actually sounds quite simple!

Cheers! :)

i have been fitting audio and security for close to 10 years now, which as also incuded several show cars and a couple of mag featured cars over the years. if you need any more advice, just let me know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users