dmayes12

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Hello people!

Hope I'm not butting in here as I'm not a member of your club.

This might seem a strange request but here goes.

I bought a 1993 Mini Tahiti reg L399 VAF from a chap in cornwall in november 08 as a little project to do up over time. It had a big Living the dream sticker in the back windscreen which has now come out. I don't think it has been cleaned for quite a while as you can just make out where a Bump Start Mini Club sticker was possibly many moons ago across the back window at the top. Does anyone have any old pics of my little beauty as would be nice to see what it was like driving around with you people.

Anyway happy new mini year to everyone and lets hope this year is a cracker!!

Darren
(Somerset)

#2 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

i havent been in the club that long to answer your question ,miniT or bigideas should be able to help
but there is another bumpstart mini club site if you google it with lots of old photos you might be lucky and find your car in there :shy:
keep us updated :shy:

#3 miniT

miniT

Puts the 'Bum' Into Bumpstart!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Local Club: Bumpstart Mini Club

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

Thats mini me!!!

He used to belong to a lady called Sharon from St Austell area, then she sold him and the next lady let him go down hill.

I've only got pics in an old photo album......he was my minis old boyfriend (sorry Dougal!) I'll see if i can find some for you!

#4 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

phoebe had boyfriends before dougal :)
i thought phoebe was a keeper, marrying material ;D

#5 dmayes12

dmayes12

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Ohh how weird me and my missus named him Minime too!!

Great that its has some nice history behind it. Yeah I agree it has been let down badly but rest assured I am taking up the mantle to bring Minime back to his former glory.

Hes going into the body shop soon for some tender loving care to sort out all the rust and have a nice respray and a few other bits down.

I have a lot planned for Minime.

I have attached a picture of its first fill up by me in cornwall on the way back home to sunny somerset.

Hope he brings back some good memories for everyone!

Cheers to the beer!

#6 miniT

miniT

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

Awww he looks lovely! Hope you have some fun with him!

Sorry Dougal, Phoebe has been a popular lady you see! :D

#7 dmayes12

dmayes12

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hello Peeps!!

At last we have progress!!!

I have been without Minime since 17th jan now and boy I am missing him! However had to get a new bonnet, grill, surround, and bonnet straps and drop them off to the work shop! So a bloody good excuse to pop in and see him!

Although there looks like a lot of work left to do he should be back only next month!! Well lets see!

Its been de-seamed, most of the rust sorted bit still some to do. Basically it still needs to be completely resprayed in tahiti blue on the body work. The roof is gonna be in rover diamond white with a union jack decal on it. Then put new tahiti decals on, I dont want to get away from the fact it is a Tahiti after all.

Then basically fit all doors, bonnet, bootlid, mirrors, grill, windows back on. Then I can put my new cobra le mans seats in and then progress on with the interior.

Heres some pics so keep you all updated!

Cheers to the beers!

Darren

#8 miniT

miniT

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

Yay! Minime is going to look beautiful again!! :ermm: >_< >_<

Keep up the good work and it'd be good to see the finished article! Are you going to Riviera Run?

#9 trewytrio

trewytrio

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

Yay! Minime is going to look beautiful again!! ;) :cry: :xxx:

Keep up the good work and it'd be good to see the finished article! Are you going to Riviera Run?

Hi Im Sharon former owner of Minime I am so chuffed that you are bringing him back to former glory, the lady who bought him from me just let him rot it was heart breaking to see I almost wanted to kidnap him back. I have a couple of photos there not brilliant as they are photos of photos as my scanner isnt available at mo, so bear with me and I will send you better copies when i get the scanner back.

Keep up the good work would love to see him when he is finished.

Sharon

Attached Files

#10 dmayes12

dmayes12

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hellllooo Sharon!

Thank you so much for the old pics!! He looks so different! Its like seeing old school photographs hee hee!!

I have always wanted a Mini Tahiti so I am taking great care and expense to bring him back. He needs some tender loving care and once again will be in full glory.

If you do have anymore pics I would love to see them. I of course will keep everyone updated. I cant wait to see him in a fresh new paint job.

Then I can finally start kitting him out on the inside.

I cant make the Riveria Run I'm afraid as I can almost tell he wont be back with me by then. As soon as I get him back I need to hammerite and waxoil all the inside.

I have a few meets planned for the summer including the Beaulieu Mini Cooper Day, Haynes Great Mini Meet, Mini 50, Castle Combe Mini Track Day, and the South West Mini Show.

I just cant wait to drive him around in the summer!

:dontgetit: >_<

#11 dmayes12

dmayes12

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hello Peeps!

I had a call from my mini man today ref Minime and best I come in and have a look! So popped in and to my horror Minime is gonna take longer that first expected. I had such high hopes he would be back with me at the end of this month but by looking at the pics I'm sure you will agree its looking unlikely.

The inner and outer sills seems to be completely rust! I knew he needed new outer sills but as with anything open the lid and a can of worms pops out. Better it gets sorted now though as I want Minime to be done properly as he so deserves to be loved once again.

However he is coming on. New bits of floor panelling has gone in so he is less like Fred Flintstones weekend drive now. Once the sills are done and the floor finished both sides it should be plain sailing. Well we will see.

I really wanted to get to some shows this summer but looks like gonna be few and far between now.

Fingers crossed people!

Have fun!

#12 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

as you say best to get it all done now :thumbsup:
you dont want any surprises at a later date
will be good to see her when shes all done :)

#13 dmayes12

dmayes12

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hello Peeps!!

Sorry its been sometime since I updated my resto project. Well I must admit first of all I have been feeling the lag now as Minime has been in the garage for soooo long now! Nearly 7 months to be precise!

Still a few months off me even getting it back I think too!! I had such high hopes for taking Minime to so many shows this year and especially Mini 50! Well thats all no chance now, but hey ho a Mini is for life not just the 50th!

A lot has happened since tho I suppose. New floor panels, new sills on both sides so bodywork wise now it should be rock.

Just been to see him today and my mini resto bloke said its at the "concrete primer" stage now! Still needs to be rubbed down after that and then the finish primer all over. Then 4 coats of base colour and 3 coats of lacquer to bring the shine back.

Minime will be worth the wait and can wait to get him back to fit my interior I have had for so long! So shame about the lagging in enthusiasm but its coming back now! Hopefully by end of september I can finally have it done. Then maybe maybe can show it off at the south west mini show at the bath and west showground in november!!!!

So heres some pics for you guys and dolls to see. Have fun at imm2009/mini 50 at the weekend whoever is going!

Keep on rocking!

#14 dmayes12

dmayes12

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hello peeps!

Hope all is well with you guys! Hope you all had fun at IMM/Mini 50.

Just a quick update to keep you all in the loop.

Minime has been primed now and hopefully (fingers crossed) will be sprayed over the next few weeks!

Lets hope all goes well as on the final straight now maybe!

Enjoy!

#15 minimininut

minimininut

Look Out For My Haynes Minature Engine Install Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

Very exciting that there's progress. I got my 'new' mini today, after a couple of months of mini-less life so might see you at the Bath and West in minime ;D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users