14 replies to this topic

#1 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:11 AM

Do you guys feel you need another gear, I only got 4 and when i get her up to 80-85 she is just screaming the revs are only bout, 4 1/2, I think maybe a little more. Is this normal or does it sounds worse because there is not much sound deaden in minis, plus I took the sound proofing bit out under my carpet when I put the new carpet down.

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:45 AM

yeah this would make alot of difference because you are without sound deadening. Try gettting some under the bonnet and on the bulkhead, also replace the carpet underlay this could lead to a quieter mini. As for screaming at 4 1/2 thou :saywhat:

#3 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:58 AM

you can get 5 gears or even 6 but all they do is make the ratios closer together.

#4 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:16 PM

so with the ratios being closer togerther do I still have to slow down to stop her screaming at 85 and put sound deading in, it makes my carpet bumpy!! :tongue: ?

#5 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:38 PM

If you drive a mini at 85mph then noise should be the least of your worries.

If cruising at such speeds is important to you, then consider getting a diff with a different gear ratio. I assume you have a 3.44 fitted right now. Swap this for a 2.9 and itll be doing a good deal less revs at high speeds (better fuel consumption too!)

Acceleration will suffer though. You can't have it both ways!

#6 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:40 PM

yeah deffinately use more fuel when going faster, she deffinately wants to go at that speed and with optimax in her she just flys, but does scream quite loud so I have to drive at 70! :sad: can't kkep up with flow of traffic,. :sad:

#7 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:23 PM

erm dont know if you noticed mate but its a mini! it wasnt designed to cruse at high speeds! if you want to cruse at speeds fit a 2.9 diff and learn to drive at 70 (the speed limit) if you keep your engine at a steady 85 for any length of time exspect a rebuild soon.

#8 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:45 PM

Screamin is good, I take mine to 6/7k all the time, they love it!! 4 1/2k aint screamin, it jus sounds like it is because of your lack of sound proofing.

My new engine has a 2.9 diff, very good for cruising and with a good cam has good acceleration too. At 3.5k its doin bout 65 ish (speedo's out by around 15mph) but I still take it to 7k without any probs :)

#9 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

aye but is your motor a stock one or a rebuilt one?hhmmm....

#10 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 15 March 2004 - 09:29 PM

Jus built it bout 2 weeks ago :)

#11 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:54 PM

hey actually I dont go over the speed limits that much, as Im still a learner although sometimes my mini just wants to go and with the optimax I put in her she loves it so just flys with out really trying!! :wink: just wondered if it was because I took the soundproofing out that she was nosier and sometimes you alwalys want to take them out for a blast and when you do you feel you need another gear thats all, but as you know minis are used for track days, I was just testing her out and I like to see her go, got the need for speed!!!!! yeah!! :grin:

#12 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:59 PM

put ya soundproofing back in

#13 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

cant afford it plus the mini shop I use to live close to I cant get to now for a good deal, because my mini broken and my BF car has got a broken engine, WISH WE HAD A NORMAL RELIABLE CAR BETWEEN US! we had to hire a car, hope this corsa dont break down!!!!!! but once I got my car fixed she might get some soundproofing but it makes my carpet bumpy

#14 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

wonder why it makes it bumpy, also have u got any under the bonnet and at teh bulkhead?? AND corsa reliable HA. lol :wink:

#15 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:39 PM

well my carpet has been glued on now so thinking bout it I would have to rip that all up now wouldn't I?? I've got some under the bonnet, the bit at the back if you know what I mean!! :erm: Don't say corsa not reliable, its got to go to alisbury tomoro for my BF to get to an interview dont think he will be best pleased if that goes too.

Also I want my mini to be working in time for the meet, not to break again in the near future because otherwise I might get stuck on the way to MW45 then one of you guys will have to come and get me in your reliable mini!!!! :) so I can get there, then you have to tow me back LOL! :wink: :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users