billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Local Club: www.16vminiclub.com

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

Hi people

****To make life a bit easier my build might be a extended front but only just)

I'm Billy I bought my mini at the end of last year (2007) from a local woman who's husband had pasted away and who started the mini as a project but never really did much.
The mini sat on her drive for a couple years then she decided it was time for it to go as she never wanted the hassle. Any ways I bought the mini with no tax or mot. Me being new to minis i never knew what i was looking at and never fancied mucking about with it so i got it booked in with my local mini garage DC Minis (Darrells Cripps's place) Got it taken down to Darrell and had all the work that needed doing to get it though a MOT and to run OK on the road as it was only going to be a run about :shock: :D I will be doing most the work my self apart from welding i think as i have never tyred it yet.

But then i caught the mini bug and started to get idea's. So i decided to get the body work sorted as it was going to need a fair amount done. So over time it has had things like foot wells to boot floors and door steps and a new front end put on (metal flip front) I would have loved to attempt doing all this my self but me let lose with a grinder and a weld would have had some bad results :D

The plans for the mini was a sporty looking racy type at first with a smooth FG boot and a vent bonnet. With a 1293 turbo lump so i started by collecting a engine and both the bonnet and boot. Had the boot and bonnet fitted liked it for 2 weeks then decided it was not for me. :oops: So i have changed the style i'm looking for and have now gone down the route of a sportpack/mk1 look :? 8) I have fitted a Mk1 boot and a std type metal bonnet as well and the car looks much better(car still needs painting)
Then talking to people about what plans i had for the power side of the car i had a change of mind and thought i come back to idea of a 16v Honda mini as it be a much stronger engine car then a turbo A sires.

So i have been doing my research and making sure what i want from my build and what to plan. I have been on here the last couple months reading though all types of builds and post just to get some basic info to help me along the way in my build and ideas too.

I have planed to keep it a Std length front end using a Allspeed frame (i have) with the Honda B16a2 engine and gear box i have bought both frame and engine of members on here.

Any ways here's some pic's of my mini as it started.

My allspeed frame
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then i start to put some new carpet and seats in it to get me about in.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

How it looked with the FG bonnet
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Much more to come people watch this space.

#2 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Right people Bit of a update

I have striped down the top arms and wire brushed them with a grinder to get all the old road grime and bit of surface rust of ready for a fresh coat of paint and the new bearings to be pressed in.

Clean Arm with bearings removed
Posted Image

Pressing New bearings in.
Posted Image

Both bearings in complete
Posted Image

One complete arm and painted
Posted Image

Both arms complete and ready to fit to frame painted in hammerite hammered black
Posted Image

While i had the grinder out i thought i make a start on the cam cover and started to strip that, Once complete striped i will be painting it in ford Imperial blue as the engine bay will have blue theme going on :wink: :D
Posted Image

Also scrubbed the engine down and degrease it as well and painted that in high temp silver paint and looks fresh and new.
Posted Image
Posted Image

My next little mission over the next week is to finish the cam cover and start rebuilding the 2 spare hubs i have.
Posted Image

Also i have chose not to use the allspeed arms as i had a pair of adjustable lower arms with rose joints, and a pair of heavy duty tie arms I'm going to get bent and threaded at one end. The end i need threading will have to made smaller on a lath first as its about 16mm thick just need to find a machine shop round here to do it.

To make the lower arm fit i had to modify the spacers each by 2.3mm as they was too thick but it did the job. The tape on the tie rods are where i need to bend and cut and thread the rod. I could have ordered the all speed ones but i thought i make it more fun and cheaper :wink: :D
Posted Image

#3 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

First thing i have done is cleaned up the hub's striped them down and gave them a coat of paint, Put the new bearings and ball joints in.

Posted Image

Also ordered some new brakes for the front from KAD
Posted Image
Also i had since last time i updated, the rear mk1 light plates welded in and fitted (still to be smoothed and finished but be down to the body shop) Also the carbon boot floor is in as well now.

Posted Image

#4 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

Well People

I have finally had some time to do some work on the mini over the xmas holiday. I have started to strip down the old engine and sub frame and all the old wiring loom. I have also built up the all speed frame and that is now ready to be put on the car.......At last :thumbsup:
I have found more rust now as well behind the front shock mounts on both sides :evil: :evil: :P but the driver side is much worst and i have a nice little hole there now, not sure how easy that will be to fixed. :oops:

Today I finished of getting all the front of the car and went and done a bit of shopping for paint and any think that will stop more rust in the future.

The plan is tomorrow wire brush and sand down the bulk head, Paint and treat it, As it is all surface rust where the paint has been burnt of by the engine and brakefuild over the years.

The day after that fit the frame and maybe the engine if all goes well.

Here's some pic's of today's and last night's work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

Right at last a update :wink:

Well as you see i started to strip out the old frame and every think else in the engine bay. Started to sand down the old paint work to see what rust i had.

Posted Image

Found some nice bits of rust hiding behind all the crappy paint and seam sealer some one used to hide it with :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Frame is now fitted with the bulk head cut out and temp paint work to keep it dry and rust free till i have all the welding work done.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Engine fitted still need to space it out right.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 danboy

danboy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:00 AM

looking good mate

#7 miniadventure

miniadventure

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

WOW!

#8 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

Nice work! :)

Just make sure you don't drop any parts/tools down that drain :)

#9 danoz24

danoz24

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

man, that reminds me of my work on the mini a couple of months ago - exact same procedure with the top and bottom arms, hubs, etc, bulk head - it was when i installed the promo kit. just wiring at the mo - its getting there slowly

#10 LankyJames

LankyJames

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Heavy Handed Cluts Club

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

I love the work done on this, keep it up, and like has been said before dont drop anything too important down that drain...

#11 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks people for your comments

Haha That drain has claimed its self my half extension bar for my ratchet set now Dohhhh

#12 LankyJames

LankyJames

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Heavy Handed Cluts Club

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

Nooooo!

I'd make a wooden cover for it sharpish haha.

I really am tempted to do the same as this on my car when i have a real job ( a uni loan just wouldnt cover it haha), still in my last year so not long now!

Whose the frame made by? And can i ask how much the vtec engine cost you? Feel free to PM if you dont want to disclose costs!

#13 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

That's gonna be a monster :thumbsup:

#14 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

HI James

The frame is made by a company called allspeed. The B16a2 engine and gear box set me back the best part of £550 as They are not the cheapest of engine.

Thanks Minimotor jd i hope it is when done.

Little update........No pics just yet.

I now have changed my mind .....AGAIN on what to do with the front end Had a long think about it and never really fancy extending the front of a round nose. So i have gone out and bought all brand new genuine clubman panels instead. I have also bought a Exeedy exhaust manifold. what should let the engine breath a bit better. Also I'm eyeing up a nice alloy rad some one has for sale. Hope to pick it up this weekend.

Billy

#15 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi people

Bit of a update, Over the last week i have been cracking on with the mini. I ditched the idea of the extend round nose and went for a clubby instead (looks much better IMO) So this sped up the build time on the car and made it a bit easier. I have about 90% of the wiring done now on the car, I also fitted a Clifford 950 alarm with remote head light control, remote engine start, and a shed loads of sensors to keep the car safe. I still need to bolt in the wilwood pedal box and finish the brakes off and some other bits and bobs like fitting the fuel tank and pump, connect fuel lines, filling up the rad, bleed brakes bits like that to do but apart from that there's not much else. I will be getting the car painted at a later date just want to get it on the road and make sure every think is working first. Any ways here's some pic's

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users