27 replies to this topic

#1 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

I have finally been able to start on my Vauxhall conversion project. This is what I have to work with.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is a [poor] picture of the engine that will be going in....

Posted Image

the biggest problem I have at the moment is no electricity in the garage. There is no way of getting it put in either. It gets pretty dark in there as well so I definitely need some lights...

So far I have got the front wheels, hubs, driveshafts etc off.

I need pay day to come around and get spending.

I cant wait to get really stuck into it.

Target finish time - Sept 2. It's going to be difficult though.

#2 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

Another redtop build that will be finished before mini :dontgetit: >_<

Do you plan on buying or building your own frame?

#3 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

gonna be a nice lil project what fuelin u runnin

#4 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

Another redtop build that will be finished before mini :D ;)

Do you plan on buying or building your own frame?

I already have an allspeed one ready to bolt in place. I need a few bolts etc yet though.

gonna be a nice lil project what fuelin u runnin

I have no idea yet. to be honest, I don't know a great deal about it, but I have a mate who knows a lot about carbs, so I will definitely be speaking to him.

I'm going to be looking for about 170 - 180hp by the time the project is finished, but I want it done in time for the Ring this year. If I need to, I'll go with a bit less on the horses to get me there and then sort it afterwards.

The biggest pain is being in Germany at the moment. I can get stuff delivered here for the same price as the UK but it takes a bit longer and a lot of companies wont post to a BFPO address, which could mean lots of weekend trips back to the UK.

#5 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Ten days...two whole weekends...and nothing done.

Unfortunately I have been away on exercise for a while so I havent managed to get anything done which is quite annoying. Im away again tonight but hopefully I can start on it properly this week...I cant wait until payday.

Im still deciding on a colour scheme yet - I have two options really. Either a charcoal/gun metal grey with orange touches, such as wheels, wing mirrors etc (same colours as my mountain bike), or a nice blue colour I saw on an Audi TT a few months ago...finished with red roll cage etc..

#6 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Didn't get much done this weekend. I removed the injection unit, alternator and all the other bits.

Tomorrow I will be ordering some bits from allspeed so I can crack on with the subframe change and putting it back on wheels so I can put the engine back in.

Advice time - should I send the shell away for spray now or should I do the rebuild then strip it down again once I know everything is done and get it sprayed then.

It turns out I do have a light in the garage as well - I was just being a mong. It also has electrcity - its a german to pin socket but thats still good news. it was tucked away and hidden. It was finding the power supply that made me realise there was a light in there as well.

As for fuelling, I have been doing a bit of research. I think I'm going to go for some nice R1 carbs, and get the inlet manifold for them from Bogg Brothers. In addition im going to swap the ignition system over to one from H & H and then I can get rid of the ECU and the million wiring nightmares that come with it.

I'm now working out everything I want for it and the next 5 pay days or so will involve a lot of parts ordering. I really want to get cracking with it now.

Edited by TneMini, 30 March 2009 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

get it sorted :-

#8 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Advice time - should I send the shell away for spray now or should I do the rebuild then strip it down again once I know everything is done and get it sprayed then.

The best way is to build everything up, making sure you have holes drilled for everything then strip it down and send for painting. Obviously this way will take a bit longer (although the final build should be pretty quick as you'll have all the bits) but it will mean that when you are putting it together and you find you have to drill holes, 'adjust' panels with the hitting stick or need to add a bracket for the doofer you didn't realise you needed, you'll be doing it on the old paint, rather than the shiny new expensive paint. I'll be doing mine this way when it comes off the road later this year (also going Vauxhall/Allspeed but it will be the small-block!)

by the way have a good look round the forums on 16vminiclub.co.uk if you haven't already - there's rakes of info on there and it's pretty much certain that someone else has run into the same problems you'll encounter during the conversion,

Good luck with it!

JR

#9 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

Yeah I have started looking around on 16v. It's really useful and it was through that site I discovered Bogg Brothers for the inlet manifold etc so I will definitely be using that site again.

Yeah I was thinking of doing that with regards the respray - plus it should give me a coule of extra months to save the money for it. And more time to change my mind on the colour scheme. :thumbsup:

But the good news is I placed my first order with Allspeed today. I will soon be receiveing some tie bars and bottoms arms, subframe brace bars, the bulkhead box, the gear selector raising bracket and some engine mounts. Next month, driveshafts and pedal box. If I still have a decent amount of money half way through this month I might order the pedal box and cylinders early though.

Next phone call, probably later today - Bogg brothers!

#10 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Bugger.

Some times you have good days, some times you have bad days.

Well today is a bad day. When I bought my project car, I have to confess i didn't know what an allspeed subframe looked like. As a result, the one I thought I was getting that was an allspeed frame is not - I might now need to buy one of those as well.

That wouldn't have been too bad, I could have dealt with the extra expense. But I have just spent 500 euros on new wheels and tyres for my golf as one of the alloys cracked in a vital place.

:)

What to do now. Here is a pic of the frame I have.

[attachment=83297:DSC01855.JPG]

Does anyone here recognise this frame in terms of who may have produced it (assuming it was a half well known company that made it).

If not Im going to have to bite the bullet and get on with it. Puts me back about a whole month, at least, which is the worst thing.

#11 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

Gutted for you about the frame - bet you were well p'd off when you found out. May be worth asking on 16vminiclub too - someone may recognise it.

From what I've researched and learned, the frame doesn't look like it's based on a Mini frame as the towers are different. According to the sticky thread in the Vaux section on 16vminiclub, there are only four commercially available frames available : -

TerryG (a member on 16v) which is Mini subframe based, so that rules that one out.
AMT which doesn't use Mini suspension like this frame does - they use a type of rose-jointed double wishbone system whereas yours looks like it uses a standard Mini top arm.
Ask restorations who are/were or may be producing frames using the AMT jigs.
Allspeed and as you say that's definitely not one of theirs.

So that leaves a home-brew, but if it is it certainly looks like a lot of thought, work and fabrication has gone into it. The main thing I'd be concerned about is if it is in fact for the correct block, followed by the strength/quality of the welding on the frame, although as I said it does look like a pretty professional job.

JR

Edited by jayare, 02 April 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#12 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Yeah I was p'd off. I still am.

Jayare, thanks for the info. Its confirmed for me not to use this frame. Like you say, it does look well put together and it probably could do the job, but at the same time I have no idea who made it, what they have done in the past and its not worth the risk. I have decided to cut my losses and order an allspeed frame. I have heard/read nothing but good things about the quality of work and service from this compnay which makes it a little easier to part with the money.

Unfortunately though I cannot afford to order one outright so I have emailed Rob and asked if he can use the money I had already paid for the tie bars and bottom arms as a deposit for the whole order to include a subframe. When I made inital enquiries the lady who works there informed me it is usually a 40% deposit and the rest payable upon collection/completion of the work. After doing the sums, it is pretty much a 40% deposit. I will phone on monday just to confirm, and then sit patiently and wait for a couple of months for the frame to turn up.

In the mean time, i will be scoruing ebay and other sites on a regular basis for any bits to be had. I will also attempt to strip the engine down and make sure it is in good order. I might upgrade one or two bits whilst Im at it.

The most annoying thing about it isnt the money its the massive delay it will put on the project.

#13 PMM

PMM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

Its does to a degree resemble a vauxhall frame, when looking at the mounts etc, though should have some other bits and bobs to attach to it
but the overall frame looks to be a mini Vauxy frame.

hmmm intriguing

#14 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

Ebay is always good to keep an eye on - I'm going to pick up an unfinished project with an Allspeed frame and loads of other bits tomorrow that I've just won on the 'bay, so that gives a massive boost to my project! If I hadn't got that I'd be behind you in the queue at Allspeed for a frame myself!

JR

#15 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

If you dont mind me asking how much did you get the whole project for? Im keeping my eye on a couple of bits on the bay at the moment...

The downaside to that is you could end up waiting a really long time. I really want to crack on with this project so I can try and get it done in time for the Ring this year. I have other holidays and exercises and stuff that will slow me down enough as well.

Im also trying to swap my MK3 Golf cabrio for a Mk1 Cabrio or a 205 GTi/CTi - then I'll have a back up retro car for the run this year. I do have another mini as well but I don't really want to take that round again.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users