#1 jay_muir

jay_muir

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:13 AM

Hi,
I saw an advert for a mini in the local free ads. Its an unfinished project. So I gave the guy a ring. It has a hole in the boot floor, one in each sil and a few more patches welded. It has an Alarm and Mini-Lites on it. Its a 1992 K reg 1275cc. It says £650 ono. No Tax or MOT.

Is the welding a simple job? Would it be expensive to get someone to do it? Where are the best places get get work like that done?

I'm going to look at it in the next few days.

What do you think? What should I look out for? How much do you think its worth?

Cheers,
Jamie

#2 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

when welding, it depends on who it is and if you know them...try and find a mate who can weld or a family member, that way it will be much cheaper!

for the work that needs going on it the price still seems a bit steep for an unfinished project, you can get project cars much cheaper than that, but if you like it then go for it!

mobile welders will do the work for you, check your local paper classifieds for one they will just drive to you, do the work and its done.

:grin:

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:33 AM

And when you go to see it, ask for a look at the MOT checklist or fail sheet. Then you will know exactly what it has failed on, not an abbreviated list with a 'few things they forgot to mention'. If they haven't got it, or don't want to show you, there may be a big list of failures they don't want you to know about.

I would try and find someone to take with you too. In my experience, it is too easy to get blinded by the 'I WANT A MINI' voice in your head, if you take someone with you (even if they don't know a massive amount about cars) it is always an extra voice of reason!

You could even take a camera with you and take a few piccies of it, tell whoever is selling it that you want to have a think, go home, have a look at the pictures and then consider it (sometimes you feel pressured into buying something you don't want when you are put on the spot).

All this is stuff I should have known years ago, it would have stopped me buying the sheds I have previously bought. If I go to look at a car I take my Girlfriend as the voice of reason (even though I used to be an MOT tester and mechanic) sometimes you need another opinion!!!

unless the MOT has just expired whilst it has been off the road???

:wink:

Edited by mini mad me, 04 September 2005 - 10:34 AM.

#4 jay_muir

jay_muir

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:41 AM

Yeah I'm takin a mate with me who knows his stuff when it comes to older cars (Hes got a MGB hes always working on). I've been to look at cars with him befor and he knows his stuff.

I'm gonna try the old trick of "Oh well that'll cost me so and so to get fixed..." etc to try and bring the price down if I'm interested. Does it work?

Cheers,
Jamie

#5 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

Sometimes yeah, but it depends on the seller.
Some people just put a price in an ad to try their luck and they are quite flexible with the actual price. Some people are fixed to an amount and don't want to mess around.
It is always worth asking 'what is the minimum you will take?' or 'are you flexible with the price?' As long as you don't set out to insult someone by offering them peanuts it is a perfectly acceptable thing to expect when buying a car.

#6 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

Remember with rust what you see is only ever the tip of the iceberg and with some judicious screwdriver prodding a small "patch" can turn into a couple of replacement panels. If the car has failed an MoT the tester shouldve marked in yellow the areas he thinks likely to need replacing, youll see they are much bigger than the actual hole and will give you a good idea of what really needs doing; if its HASNT failed a mot youll have to use your imagination and, with the owner's permission, a large screwdriver. K reg minis are likely to suffer corrossion as much as many others. I had a H reg and you wouldnt believe the amount of rot hidden below a relatively nicely-polished exterior.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:30 PM

Late model minis are complete rust buckets, anything past a C reg will probably need the majority of the bottom 6 inches looking at....

Places to watch for real problems, are bubbling on the scuttle at the top of the A panel... that will normally mean rot is working it's way down the fitch panel and will require the front of the car to come off...

as has been said above.... check any documentation available, and if it's scetchy any project is only worth the value of it's parts...

#8 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:52 PM

Did you go and see this car yet? :blink:

#9 jay_muir

jay_muir

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

How DO?,

I just got back from looking! It was in poor condition. A NO GO! Holes in both sills and boot floor. Inside both rear archs was going. Boot Floor had a massive hole. There was damp in both front foot wells and which where starting to rust under the carpets. Big holes in rear corners of the engine bay. There was alot of Filler and Grey paint so you couldn't tell what elses there was. What had been done was poor as they hadn't removed the bad metal so the rust was still there.

It requires a complete overhaul! Plus he wanted £650 which is a bit high for what it was. They wouldn't move on that as well.

Cheers,
Jamie

#10 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:15 AM

Sounds like it was wise to leave it alone then mate. You'll find a better one somewhere! :wink:

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:26 AM

Aye, sounds like the seller has dillusions of how much a mini is worth... what your describing is a 50 quid basket case...

Get yourself up to the National Mini show at stanford hall on sunday.. see what's for sale there :cheese:

#12 jay_muir

jay_muir

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

Hi,
Therefore the hunt goes on! I got a Wanted advert going in both the magazines next month so maybe that'll toss something up.

Its just its my 21st on the 22nd and I really want something befor then. Think I'll do it? Any tips...

#13 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

got a cooper 4 sale on a 91 plate yrs mot 6 mths tax £1400

dave

#14 Add_Gee

Add_Gee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:07 AM

ebay, there are loads on at the mo, as long as you dont mind travelling then there are some bargain to be had.

Im really finding it hard to not go and buy one..... must restrain myself until i have a garage :tongue:

#15 jay_muir

jay_muir

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

Cheers For the Advice! I'll keep my eyes open!

Cheers,
Jamie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users