5 replies to this topic

#1 c.robertson00

c.robertson00

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

Im thinking of building a Hayabusa engined mini with the engine in the back in a north/south configeration. I would have a diff at the back with a short driveshaft going into a diff. Im thinking of having an IRS trailing arm setup with some sort of jappa hub so that I have good brakes and a hub carrier

What sort of diffs are people useing?

And how do you get decent brakes on the front end? Im going to run 13'' rims.

Edited by c.robertson00, 20 May 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#2 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

Why would you want to put it in the back north/south? You will have problems fitting it behind the seats, and with bike engines driving a diff directly from the output flange you really need to fit a TRT propshaft in there to damp out the torsional vibration from the engine. No way would there be space for this unless you're a midget or you're gonna drive it with your face pressed against the windscreen! There may be a slight weight distribution advantage, but nothing like as favourable as putting the engine up front...

Rear drive has a traction advantage (weight transfer to the rear under acceleration), front engine has a weight distrubution advantge (centre of gravity close to centre of rotation in cornering).

Freelander diffs are generally used for this kind of application these days. They weigh less than the sierra diff, are much easier to obtain, and have a more suitable final drive ratio for bike engine speeds.

#3 c.robertson00

c.robertson00

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

This maybe a stupid question but what is a Freelander??? I would go with an east west setup but i dont know how the diff arangement works. Does anyone have any pictures of a rear diff setup they could post up some pictures of?

#4 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

Freelander is the small version Land Rover over here...

Freelander Pics

With an east west rear engine they tend to drive a sprocket mounted on the outside of a special diff... Have a good look round this forum, there are quite a few pics about....

Edited by SukiDawg, 20 May 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#5 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

There is no problem with the drivers seat space although the passenger would suffer somewhat

Cheers
David

#6 c.robertson00

c.robertson00

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

What sort of arrangement do the z cars have? Is a Quaife or something of the like?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users