#1 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has put a supercharger on an R1 powered mini yet? I've found a few references to R1 supercharged bikes but no car derived applications. It seems to me that most use a rotrex charger but which one I've no real idea. If someone has investigated or actully done it I'd love to know the details...

Thanks

PT

#2 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has put a supercharger on an R1 powered mini yet? I've found a few references to R1 supercharged bikes but no car derived applications. It seems to me that most use a rotrex charger but which one I've no real idea. If someone has investigated or actully done it I'd love to know the details...

Thanks

PT

roofless might know.

#3 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

dont think I've seen one used in a mini application - I have seen one on a Kit Car and he has videos on youtube, but not in a Mini.

there maybe a Z car with a puffer on it - not sure if its R1 or Type R though .

my mistake

turbo'd R1

TG3rlczzJ1A

Edited by roofless, 27 May 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#4 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

most supercharged bikes use rotax type charger as small and gives good power

pics taken from here http://www.r1-forum....ad.php?t=142026

#5 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

most supercharged bikes use rotax type charger as small and gives good power

pics taken from here http://www.r1-forum....ad.php?t=142026

Shaun - is that a bolt on and go conversion, or would you need modified pistons n stuff? :dontgetit:

#6 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

theres also this one but dont know much about it looks like supercharger straigh on top of engine

would not be to hard to do something similar uses bmw mini charger for example

#7 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:35 PM

Shaun - is that a bolt on and go conversion, or would you need modified pistons n stuff? :P

how many years you known me and still spell my mane wrong lol

most turbo/supercharged bikes do one of two thing lower compression using either thicker head gasket or put a base plate under block raising block lowering pistons and compression

depends on how much boost would think know on busa turbos normally change pistons for hi boost

was bike at bike meet last night bike there with turbo and nos 400 bhp with out nos 100 bhp nos kit as well :dontgetit:

Edited by THE STIG, 27 May 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#8 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

So, there doesn't sound like many have done it.... Hmmmm, this could be fun!!!

PT

#9 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

Regardless of piston spec you would also need to change the rod - pressure charged R1's suffer from the weak production con-rod design. If you have a look at one its pretty spindly.

Carillo do an R1 rod. They are around £200 each. Yep. Each.

You cannot shim under the cylinder body to lower comp ratio on an R1 - the crankcase and block are one casting unlike the Suzuki engine (other bike engines I am not sure about as I have only worked on Hayabusa's in the past other than the R1 engine I have now).

Thicker gasket is a possibility as mentioned, but personally speaking I think thats somewhat of a bodge. The head joint is usually the weak point in a presure charged enine. JE will do you a 9:1 CR piston. £600 a set though, and also they say you need a "special" gasket... I'm not sure what the "special" feature is; couldn't get an answer from the JE guy. It may well be thicker.

Edited by SukiDawg, 01 June 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#10 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

Shaun - is that a bolt on and go conversion, or would you need modified pistons n stuff? :thumbsup:

how many years you known me and still spell my mane wrong lol

most turbo/supercharged bikes do one of two thing lower compression using either thicker head gasket or put a base plate under block raising block lowering pistons and compression

depends on how much boost would think know on busa turbos normally change pistons for hi boost

was bike at bike meet last night bike there with turbo and nos 400 bhp with out nos 100 bhp nos kit as well >_<

i head with bikes you have to do something like run superchargers backwards because of the engine layout... i think its just on V-twins? you heard of this before stig?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users