#1 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

My MPI has suddenly developed an intermittent steering wobble and I'm stumped !!

The rear mounts on the front subframe were replaced about 4 months ago (MOT advisory) and it felt really nice/tight afterwards. Only done a few hundred miles since the MOT

Took the car out a couple of weeks ago and suddenly started getting this wobble which would come and go. No consistent circumstances in which it would re-appear i.e. low or high speed, etc.

The only thing I've done since having the mounts done is to remove the front wheels to give them a clean. Didn't remove any balance weights and the wheels were put back on the same corners.

I took the wheels off again and everything is fairly solid and can't feel any obvious movement on the suspension components. Nothing came up on the MOT regarding track rod ends, bearings, etc. I checked the new mounts and they seem to be ok.

I've driven it around on full lock, forwards and reverse and get no knocks or clunks.

I have found that if I just nudge forward, stop and go into reverse, there is a momentary creak which seems to come from beneath my feet. Not sure if it done this before or not....?

I checked the U-bolt nuts for the steering rack on the heel board and they were not particularly tight, nor loose. I nipped them up a bit more, but they feel as though I could do them up more but wasn't sure if I was bending or crushing anything by carrying on ? Do they actually lock off ?

The steering itself is quite response and can't feel any 'slack', no knocks or clunks.

It's got 13" sportspack wheels (factory fit) and steering rack is original. I've had the car since new (yr. 2000) and it's got 45K miles.

Any ideas ??

Cheers all.....

Edited by miniboy1971, 27 June 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#2 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

Free bump. The exact same thing is happening to my mpi which has simmilar mileage and it just passed an mot too.

#3 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

Free bump. The exact same thing is happening to my mpi which has simmilar mileage and it just passed an mot too.

Forgive me.....'free bump'....er what does that mean ? Cheers

Oh yeah.... just realised....fool..........!!

Edited by miniboy1971, 27 June 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#4 newdawn1st

newdawn1st

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

A bump is just a way of making your topic appear as having a recent response therefore appearing higher in the list of topics for the forum, if that makes sense? also will make your topic re-appear in the 'new topics' useful for when people miss it first time round.

edit: beat me too it :( free bump lol

Edited by newdawn1st, 27 June 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#5 joedaud

joedaud

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

have you checked the tie bars....you might have a bent tie bar. this would make the steering a bit iffy.

#6 chappy

chappy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

check the rear mounts, make sure they're tight...

also, have you checked the top mounts on the subframe? my mini tended to get a bit wobbly before i did mine

sam

#7 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Chappy/Joedaud - I'll check these over....

#8 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

You got spacers at the rear? Are they correctly fitted?

#9 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:43 AM

It does have the factory fit spacers on the rear. Wasn't aware there could be a wrong or right way of fitting them...just slide them over the studs or am I missing something !!!

#10 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

They wont fit on the studs like a glove, but have some clearance around studs.
If arent fitted correctly can affect rotation of the wheel, that reflects to the steering as little intermittant whobble. You got big tyres, and the bigger the tyre, the bigger the problem..

#11 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

I don't remember having any problems getting them on or off. But I will double check....thanks

#12 Dan6061

Dan6061

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

Had your wheels balanced recently/at all? Go get them checked, most places will check them for free, if not a few quid or a beer should do it. Usually sends vibrations through the steering wheel at certain speeds. Mine were only 10g out and they wobbled! Luckily I work as a tyre fitter, so I got them done for free. ;)

#13 Mattl

Mattl

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

The wheels could have last been balanced when they were dirty. If you took them off and cleaned the muck off the inside of the wheel then theres every chance that they could now be out of balance due to the lack of dirt.

I would deffo look at wheel balancing first particularly from what you have described and that it occured after you have removed and cleanded the wheels.

#14 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

sure you refitted the wheels 'right'?

ie loosly screw on the nuts to pull the wheel on - then tighten them to the correct torque in a X formation...

#15 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

sure you refitted the wheels 'right'?

ie loosly screw on the nuts to pull the wheel on - then tighten them to the correct torque in a X formation...

Thanks for all the ideas. I've taken the wheels off and on again without any issues.

I've since had the top subframe mounts replaced with poly bushes as there was excessive movement/twisting of the engine in the subframe with the steering on lock, but the wobble is still there.

I think I'll do as some of you suggested and get the wheels re-balanced next. This is fairly inexpensive and probably worthwhile doing anyway to prevent any premature wear. The car is spotlessly clean and there was only a thin layer of brake dust on the inside of the wheels, so I'm doubtful if this is contributing towards the problem, but you never know !!!

If this doesn't solve it, then I'll be taking it down to ML Motorsport (who are local to me) for them to give it the once over.

I'll let you all know...

Thanks again for your ideas/assistance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users